Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Are there any Sonic Youth Fan Forums in Existence?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.14.2006, 04:29 PM   #1
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
children of satan

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard sucka
I was wondering if anyone knew of a place where people that considered Sonic Youth the best band in the fucking world could gather and discuss how fucking great they are.

I don't like to bitch, but this board has been ruined by self-righteous people that have absolutely no band loyalty. I respect everyone's opinion, but there is such minimal discussion of the actual band on this site that it is disgusting. And when people do discuss the band, they often only state how much they dislike them. I respect people's opinions on the new album, but how could you refuse to buy it? I feel like (having adored this band for the large portion of my life) that I would buy an album of Steve Shelley making armpit fart noises simply out of loyalty to the people that have given me so much pleasure.

How can there be no in depth fanviews of their show yet? Obviously the people that went and rocked out at the show and showed their love of the band do not post on this forum.

Wouldn't it make more sense to post on a board of a band that you LOVE rather than a band that you don't really like (or only likeDD)?

The board used to be a fun place to post because even when everyone was getting in each other's grill, we still shared a love for the greatest band on the planet and could go back to that as a sense of unity.

It's impossible to come on this board anymore without getting angry... and that totally sucks.
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2006, 04:38 PM   #2
mushmanski57@hotmail.com
stalker

mushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
I was wondering if anyone knew of a place where people that considered Sonic Youth the best band in the fucking world could gather and discuss how fucking great they are.

I don't like to bitch, but this board has been ruined by self-righteous people that have absolutely no band loyalty. I respect everyone's opinion, but there is such minimal discussion of the actual band on this site that it is disgusting. And when people do discuss the band, they often only state how much they dislike them. I respect people's opinions on the new album, but how could you refuse to buy it? I feel like (having adored this band for the large portion of my life) that I would buy an album of Steve Shelley making armpit fart noises simply out of loyalty to the people that have given me so much pleasure.

How can there be no in depth fanviews of their show yet? Obviously the people that went and rocked out at the show and showed their love of the band do not post on this forum.

Wouldn't it make more sense to post on a board of a band that you LOVE rather than a band that you don't really like (or only likeDD)?

The board used to be a fun place to post because even when everyone was getting in each other's grill, we still shared a love for the greatest band on the planet and could go back to that as a sense of unity.

It's impossible to come on this board anymore without getting angry... and that totally sucks.

Agreed 100%
mushmanski57@hotmail.com is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2006, 04:39 PM   #3
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I really fucking don't like you. Seriously, this is a fan board.

Who the fuck said you have to like everything a band has put out to be a fan?

Have fun being a complete idiot.

Hayden
Old 06.14.2006, 04:41 PM   #4
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
hey! i think this is still a fun place. a few of them exist but it's mostly hasn't-been-updated-since-NYCG+F/just full of the same boardies. we love the band, sometimes it's just fun to rip on everything.

come to the sonic youth thread.
Old 06.14.2006, 05:28 PM   #5
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
"I really fucking don't like you."

wah wah wah!!! (like an infant)

sounds something like a 2 year old would say to his mommy.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2006, 05:35 PM   #6
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
im staying the fuck out of this one... (yeah right)

the proper forum for whiny threads would be #4 (non-sonics)

i say if you buy an album of steve's ampit fart noises you're a SUCKA. not that he'd ever descend to such lows. he's way too decent to take you for a ride like that.

but anyway, whiny posts belong elsewhere, like the sewer that is the non-sonics section. just sayin'...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2006, 05:37 PM   #7
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Hmm.

I think it's more to do with the band. Stating the obvious, it's worth bearing in mind they've produced lots of albums over nearly 30 years. What this means is that there are distinct eras, and SY have never been a band to stick to one style for their entire career - there's obviously common elements to all their albums, but they're hardly a NOFX or that kind of band who basically re-use the same riffs ad infintum.

It's difficult thinking about bands in this way - there are very, very few rock groups who have produced relevent and invigorating music for longer than 10 years. You look at the big boys of the rock canon - yr Dylans/ Beatles/ Led Zeps/ Bowie's, and none of them managed to make an entire career of great albums. Most bands produce about 5-10 years of relevent albums, then split or go into creative lulls, never to return (cf Dylan/ Cash/ Bowie/ (arguably) Reed).

If you're into a band that only have up to 5 albums, there's no point thinking about criticising them as a fan - they don't have enough of a corpus. With SY, because they have such a variety of GOOD material over their career, it's inevitable that not ever SY fan is going to have uniform favourites. My personal faves are CIS, Evol, ATL, NYCG&F - I shan't go into why these are my favourites, but suffice it to say that what I appreciate about the band fits into a different category of discussion to those whose favourites might be DDN & Dirty. I'm not claiming superiority, merely a difference in opinion.

If you compare the ramblings of the SY diaspora to any other band/ group/ musician with a comparable corpus, you'll probably find that the SY fan is a lot less of a dick about the albums they don't like than the fans of another musician. I'm thinking of Coltrane, Davis and the Fall's fanbase (for instance) here.

It's fair enough that you feel the fans should be a little less dickish about their appreciation of SY, but I for one believe it's entirely a compliment to SY's music that there is such divided opinion on it. It's certainly a lot more interesting than an endless regurgitation of 'I like song x'. 'Well, I like song y. But they still rock'. 'Yeah dude, their 2 albums both rock'.

Yes? No? I hope you don't think I'm laying into you, but I do think you have to appreciate that SY are not a band that have made 20+ versions of the same album and how this varied corpus has affected their fanbase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2006, 05:42 PM   #8
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
im staying the fuck out of this one... (yeah right)

the proper forum for whiny threads would be #4 (non-sonics)

i say if you buy an album of steve's ampit fart noises you're a SUCKA. not that he'd ever descend to such lows. he's way too decent to take you for a ride like that.

but anyway, whiny posts belong elsewhere, like the sewer that is the non-sonics section. just sayin'...

hilarious! thanks for making me laugh for the first time today-expect some ass licking rep points to come yr way presently
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2006, 06:37 PM   #9
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
"I really fucking don't like you."

wah wah wah!!! (like an infant)

sounds something like a 2 year old would say to his mommy.

At least that 2 year old can form a complete sentence, fuck. Taken out of context that does look a bit immature. So fucking what? I'm 15. Am I supposed to be as mature as you(because comparing someone to an infant and typing like a 6 year old is very mature)?

Fuck off.
Old 06.14.2006, 07:17 PM   #10
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
yeah ok typing like a 6 year old... well put buddy, obviously you are getting the gist of what i'm saying so whats your point Sherlock?

anyways, i guess telling people to "fuck off" and calling them "pathetic" and "idiots" in other threads qualifies you as being just as mature...

before you compare and contrast on others take a hard look/read at what you've posted and see how its any better or worst before posting this nonsensical garbage.

there isn't many ways to take "I fucking don't like you" out of context... people who usually say that based on what they read on a message board, where it upsets them that much needs help. how can you come to that conclusion based soley on what you read here?
aren't you just soo high and mighty may we bow down to you now?
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2006, 07:25 PM   #11
Secret Boys
bad moon rising

Secret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard sucka
OH YEAH?
Secret Boys is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2006, 07:34 PM   #12
soniknirve
the destroyed room

soniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's asses
well the jerk store called...
soniknirve is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2006, 08:10 PM   #13
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
3 words:
considerably varied output.
Old 06.14.2006, 09:33 PM   #14
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
yeah ok typing like a 6 year old... well put buddy, obviously you are getting the gist of what i'm saying so whats your point Sherlock?

anyways, i guess telling people to "fuck off" and calling them "pathetic" and "idiots" in other threads qualifies you as being just as mature...

before you compare and contrast on others take a hard look/read at what you've posted and see how its any better or worst before posting this nonsensical garbage.

there isn't many ways to take "I fucking don't like you" out of context... people who usually say that based on what they read on a message board, where it upsets them that much needs help. how can you come to that conclusion based soley on what you read here?
aren't you just soo high and mighty may we bow down to you now?

I don't like him because of everything he says. Pearl Jam and Rather Ripped ARE NOT good yet he feels the need to hijack one thread about RR and MAKE A NEW ONE. This is like the whole "Not a true fan if you download" thread.

THIS HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE.

Yes, you may bow now.
Old 06.14.2006, 09:46 PM   #15
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
You are all forgetting something here...and it is Glice's post.
Old 06.14.2006, 09:52 PM   #16
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

Haha. I'll be ther in a sec.
Old 06.14.2006, 11:02 PM   #17
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
Yikes!

*Sings "Why can't we be friends?"*
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 04:13 AM   #18
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
The funniest thing that Thurston Moore said in an interview recently,was when he remarked that he didn't have an interest in being innovative or something.I love him even more than i ever did for saying that.And that is up there with him saying that he wanted Sammy Fox's 'Nothing's gonna stop me now' played at his funeral.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 04:20 AM   #19
ozZuB-ginK
little trouble girl

ozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to beholdozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to beholdozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to beholdozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to beholdozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to beholdozZuB-ginK is a splendid one to behold
Quote:

i couldn't agree more. It seems since we moved to the new board there have been new people (or maybe old who just changed names i dunno) who do nothing but bash SY. I guess every band has their 14 to 17 year old "fans" who like to be anti everything for the sake of scene points..
Old 06.15.2006, 05:00 AM   #20
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I regard this place as being like a virtual pub, where I go to meet like-minded people and to chill out a bit. I don't expect to like every single person I come across here, and I don't expect to agree with every single thing that people say, but I accept the differences and ignore the stuff I don't like.

The thing that I enjoy about this place is that it's not some fan-worship shrine, it's a realistic place, where the world isn't centred around the band and its output. I love that there are people on here who come on share SY experiences and info. But I love too that I can come in here and participate in a discussion about football, or food. And I love that there are people on here who are always ready to intervene when things start getting pompous (Hi Porkmarras - how ya doin' today?). I love that people come on here to ask questions about cultural stuff because they know that it is a place where they will find like-minded people who will give an honest opinion.

This is the only board that I post on, because it is the only board that I feel the need to post on. All of life is here. If Carlsberg made internet forums, they would probably make the Sonic Youth Gossip site.

If you don't like what's here, then leave, but, please, do so quietly, will you?

Thanks.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth