Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The annoying chick bouncing around in the Bull in the Heather video?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.23.2006, 11:51 PM   #21
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
There is nothing remotely intimidating about Kathleen Hanna.As far as strong women go,she is one of the weakest.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2006, 11:52 PM   #22
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
two totally different "acts".

I agree, but once again you've completely changed positions from what you earlier said. I merely believe that if one of them were at all copying the other that Courtney is the theif. Hell, the only decent Hole song, "Rock Star" is a deliberate dis of Olympia sung in total Bikini Kill style.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2006, 02:07 AM   #23
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
"and hard to be a girl in punk rock? i think not. hard to be a girl in "hardcore" yes, because hardcore was pretty male dominated. but not in punk rock. nope nope. that was one of the great things about early punk rock, females were encouraged to pick up guitars. and their an EXHAUSTIVE ammount of recording out there to testify to that.

That makes some sense, though I'm sure that most of those icons would tell you it wasn't easy within their scene any more than within rock in general. The thing is, when Bikini Kill got started it was in a world where hardcore was the dominant force in punk, with the punk side of grunge also being a pretty big one in the area they are from (and perhaps even more male dominated with a hefty dose of '70s style rock sexism thrown in) and most of their schtick was a direct reaction against that stuff. They undoubtedly had a point, but it was also made way more the focus of what they were about than their music, which is too bad. The music was some pretty awesome punk rock, which is probably why Sonic Youth got into them and took them under their wing.
Old 12.24.2006, 02:27 AM   #24
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Feminist twat.
Old 12.24.2006, 02:38 AM   #25
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
hahaha
You've been a ghost man, what the fuck? You only appear at 2 in the morning... were you killed on the board at two in the morning and only appear at that time to haunt us and make fun of things?

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2006, 03:33 AM   #26
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
hahaha
You've been a ghost man, what the fuck? You only appear at 2 in the morning... were you killed on the board at two in the morning and only appear at that time to haunt us and make fun of things?

I just don't have time to visit as much as I used to. I'm fixing a computer and can't sleep.
Old 12.24.2006, 03:51 AM   #27
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Feminist twat.

Pithy.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2006, 05:55 AM   #28
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
She is pretty, form what I heard of Bikini Kill it is alright nothing special. Haven't heard of Le Tigre so can't judge both of the acts.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2006, 12:15 PM   #29
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorsoundkid
She is cute. She is annoying, too.

Colorsound kid? From Harmony Central FX perhaps?
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2006, 01:33 PM   #30
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Quote:
okaye, i can agree with ya there. the riot girl movement was most def. more so similiar in sound to hardcore (with a slightly more sludgey value at times) than earlier waves of punk rock.

i guess my point is that either way, it wasnt BY ANY MEANS, anything "new". fuck man, even you said it was about females using their bodies any way they choose(something that i feels only part of the whole story)...didnt madonna say (YEARS EARLIER) that "when a man screws around alot hes praised, but when a female does the same shes called a whore"? yes, she did.

was she a riot girl, no! corporate trash...yeah at times. but still no matter what shes ten times more powerful, and vital, than kathleen hannah.

and yes, SY did take them under their wing a bit. however, doesnt suprise me that they dont seem to have too much to say about kathleen these days.

I think Kathleen is still very much friends with SY. She's one of the people included in the interviews in Corporate Ghost. I think Le Tigre has played on some of the same bills with them as well. SY have become a bit less mentorish in general with other groups I've noticed, but that probably has more to do with their having their own families to keep track of (especially Kim & Thurston), and also practically everyone in the band having their own record label to release the disparate groups they're into on.

I do kind of think the amount of effort that mostly males spend calling Kathleen names and saying she hasn't made an impact rather proves what she and her contemporaries set out to show. If she was really so ignorable then wouldn't people just ignore her?

I'll admit I'm biased, I lived in Oly the same time as her, and she was always totally cool to me. Nonetheless, if her art sucked I wouldn't hesitate to say it. I love Bikini Kill's records, and I really like the Julie Ruin disc as well. I like all I've heard of Le Tigre, but I haven't pursued it that much for whatever reason. That whole post-Grand Royale electro thing has never grabbed me that heavily. However, it has no bearing on who the people who do it are, or what they have to say.

It actually amazes me that a decade and a half after the riot grrls wrote their silly messages on their tummies with magic marker, nearly any message board vaguely associated with punk ends up with massive threads full of young dudes calling them all the names they dared people to call them. They must have hit some sort of raw nerve to say the least.
Old 12.24.2006, 03:29 PM   #31
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I'd give her a nice misogynistic fuck for all my fellow pigs.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.31.2006, 09:36 PM   #32
stadtgorilla
little trouble girl

stadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's asses
"I do kind of think the amount of effort that mostly males spend calling Kathleen names and saying she hasn't made an impact rather proves what she and her contemporaries set out to show. If she was really so ignorable then wouldn't people just ignore her?

It actually amazes me that a decade and a half after the riot grrls wrote their silly messages on their tummies with magic marker, nearly any message board vaguely associated with punk ends up with massive threads full of young dudes calling them all the names they dared people to call them. They must have hit some sort of raw nerve to say the least."

THANKS !
I ALMOST FELT LIKE PUKING AT TIMES WHILE READING THIS THREAD...
like..."well, the riot grrls were totally obsolete and untalented, but they looked so sexy..."uuargh.
stadtgorilla is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.01.2007, 01:56 AM   #33
stadtgorilla
little trouble girl

stadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's assesstadtgorilla kicks all y'all's asses
yes, i'm quite funny sometimes.

and although i understand that to some people Bikini Kill might hit several nerves (or get on them), they don't deserve to be compared to Puddle of Mudd-actually, why do you spell out that damned name in this country here at all, i spent years trying to forget them.
stadtgorilla is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2007, 12:42 AM   #34
golden blue
empty page

golden blue has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
I LOVE Kathleen Hanna.

She is sexy and writes great music and boys hate her because they're scared of her.

awesome
Old 01.03.2007, 12:48 AM   #35
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Someone's cranky...

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2007, 12:38 PM   #36
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
She seems nice, in interviews anyway.

I'm mainly indifferent to Riot Grrl....which is the exactly the reaction that it should recieve

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth