Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.27.2016, 06:32 PM   #19361
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I'm gearing up to watch The Nice Guys, Shane Black's summer semi-hit that got pretty solid reviews, but didn't quite break out in a big way. Seems to have been something of a cult affair, with "disappointing" box office returns.
It does have a 91% Rotten Tomatoes score though — not that I give a fuck. I'm watching it because I love Ryan Gosling and Russel Crowe, and have literally never been disappointed by the performances of either, even if the movies themselves have been shit.

Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2016, 11:39 PM   #19362
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

This was actually quite brilliant. And fucking hilarious. Think All the President's Men meets Big Lebowski with a little Lethal Weapon thrown in there. Extremely worthwhile. Loved it.
Old 08.28.2016, 08:03 AM   #19363
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Wild. I watched that last night too. Excellent set designs/art direction. A few plot points don't make any sense, but it's a mostly fun ride. Although there's a really unpleasant, dark streak running through this if you watch closely.

Also watched KEANU. Key and Peele are brilliant but this was a major disappointment.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2016, 09:18 AM   #19364
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
finally got a copy of A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Life (thanks, rappard!), so will rewatch that tonite
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2016, 11:21 AM   #19365
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Wild. I watched that last night too. Excellent set designs/art direction. A few plot points don't make any sense, but it's a mostly fun ride. Although there's a really unpleasant, dark streak running through this if you watch closely.

I think I picked up on that. Are you referring to the weird little flashbacks that suggest that Healy's character is a desperate, lonely dude who only finds purpose in violence? The "Diner" scene really gave me pause, because he continued to beat the guy into a pulp long after the threat was neutralized. Classic tortuted hero? Or his drinking?

Or are you just talking about the general secondary premise of the entire movie, which is that industry and commerce are more valuable than ethics, moral, or even human beings? Detroit and all that?

Or (Jesus I guess there was a lot of dark shit, now that I rolodex through it all) the fact that Holly had to do all the driving for a never quite specified reason, and was way too involved in her dad's work? How a 13-year old was made to look after her comically charming, but very genuinely hopeless, depressed, degenerate father?
Old 08.28.2016, 11:37 AM   #19366
Severian
invito al cielo

I think The Nice Guys was a smarter film than it appears to be at first glance.
There's a lot going on. It pushes buttons, like with that "electric car" comment at the end. Truth is, the US didn't even need Japan to build fully functioning electric cars five years after the events of the movie. We had that shit nailed down by, like, 1981 (well... 1881 if you wanna get real picky about it). But the country is built on the big three (that bit was true enough), and the briefly revitalized electric auto movement of the 1980's, which was in fact a direct response to California fuel emission regulations as I'm sure you recall, was positively sniped by the auto-industry and state and federal governments.

Sorry, not trying to get pedantic, I'm not old enough clearly remember the electric car false starts in the '80s, but I do remember '97.

Anyway, I think the film got a bit "meta" (such a trendy word these days... thanks, Deadpool!) with the whole message about the big three auto companies. It became sort of a real life version of the "experimental" film the film was about, and it did this with several subtle, muted digs at the American auto industry that were peppered throughout the if you kept your ears open. References to ethanol, a by-proxy condemnation of the corruption of the auto companies, made in third person. It's like it was trying to be the very protest film that the movie itself revolved around, but less overtly.

And I hate to say it, but the fact that it was in and out of theaters in 2 weeks despite getting rave reviews, starring two of the most beloved actors of our time and being directed by the dude who made blockbusters like Iron Man 3, is kind of telling. Makes me wonder if strings aren't still being pulled to at least minimize the reach of films that tackle these issues.

It almost reminds me of that Matt Damon/
France's McDormand film about the natural gas companies leading rural communities to the proverbial slaughter by getting them to agree to have their farmland "fracked." I think it was called The Promised Land. Anyway, it wasn't a masterpiece by any means, but it laid bare some unpleasant truths about the fracking industry, and the complete control drilling companies have over public opinion. It was an important movie, but it wasn't given the time of day, and barely spent a week in theaters.

Anyway, this is the stuff I find most unsettling about the film, and it's not really "about" the film as much as the film's subject matter.

That line "nothing can stop Detroit" also hit pretty hard.
Old 08.28.2016, 11:51 AM   #19367
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
It has a nasty misanthropic air and too much unpleasant violence, I guess so you'll take it more seriously. The director is kind of dumb and can't really sustain the proper tone. Should I laugh when so and so gets shot or not? I sometimes got confused, like the innocent neighboring lady who accidentally gets shot through a window. I felt bad even through I think I was supposed to be enjoying myself. I'm not sure. You know, more I think about it, it really is a shitty movie. And it seems a setup for an even shittier sequel.

EDIT: I wrote while you posted. Looks like you got suckered. It's a stupid popcorn movie that no one should take seriously as a political statement.
Old 08.28.2016, 12:12 PM   #19368
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
It has a nasty misanthropic air and too much unpleasant violence, I guess so you'll take it more seriously. The director is kind of dumb and can't really sustain the proper tone. Should I laugh when so and so gets shot or not? I sometimes got confused, like the innocent neighboring lady who accidentally gets shot through a window. I felt bad even through I think I was supposed to be enjoying myself. I'm not sure. You know, more I think about it, it really is a shitty movie. And it seems a setup for an even shittier sequel.

EDIT: I wrote while you posted. Looks like you got suckered. It's a stupid popcorn movie that no one should take seriously as a political statement.

Wow, you're a fickle little fucker. AND you write slow.

The director is dumb, sure. The movie was solid though. And yeah, there were some issues with tone. The neighbor getting shot was kind of a bummer, but it was incidental violence, designed to elicit a kind of startled "ha-ah!" rather than an outright laugh. That shit's everywhere, and it's more gruesome in many films than it was in Nice Guys.

I'm surprised at how you can like a film, and then say it was shitty after something like one minute of reflection. Serious about-face. I don't trust your perspective at all now because. Nothing prone to change that quickly should be taken seriously.
Old 08.28.2016, 12:20 PM   #19369
Severian
invito al cielo

JESUS but you write slow.

Remember when Marvin got his head blown off in Pulp Fiction? That was incidental violence of the highest quality. Awful, yes, but tell me you didn't laugh out loud the first time you saw that (and every time thereafter). Tell me you didn't laugh, and I'll slap your lying face with a leather glove.
Old 08.28.2016, 12:31 PM   #19370
evollove
invito al cielo

Quote:
I'm surprised at how you can like a film,

I said it was "fun." I think I was thinking of the part where Ryan Gosling tries to manage his pants, gun, door and magazine. Classic. I wish whoever made that scene made the rest of the film.

Maybe I am fickle. I haven't actually liked a film in a long time. They mostly suck, I think.
Old 08.28.2016, 12:41 PM   #19371
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
from most recent to farther back

concussion - a 2013 rose troche production about affluent cheating lesbians in post-gentrification new york. it moves at ultraslow pace but the story ultimately proves good.

max manus - 2008 norwegian action movie about their ww2 resistance hero. the story is a bit choppy but the movie is alright.

largo winch - preposterous euro/asian corporate intrigue/revenge action flick that manages to be entertaining in the face of extensive cheesiness if that's what you come to expect, in a transporter 2 kind of way but without so much driving, instead with megacorporations, helicopters, boats, knife fights, you name it

mesrine - 2-part quasi-epic biopic about 70's french criminal jacques mesrine. it's basically a crime/action flick, but really well shot, good writing, and some awesome performances. i enjoyed it.

the names of love - sort of hilarious french romcom of the kind you never could make in 'merica because it would require knowing history and shit like that, but with tits so america would say no again. not a great movie but kind of a breath of fresh air, like-- there was sex but it wasn't rape-like.

potiche - françois ozon in goofy mode looks at women's lib in 70's france, starring catherine deneuve as a bourgeois aged housewife and a mastodontic gérard dépardieu as a communist politician. yes yes, with musical numbers.

wendy and lucy - a slow-moving but nice indie short-story-type neorealist movie about a homeless girl stuck in oregon on her way to alaska looking for work. with carey mulligan doing her best to look plain.

dc cab - worse than i expected and i expected bad

stripes - kinda funny 80s comedy, with tits

coming up next:

renoir (some french biopic)

andrzej wajda's "a generation", first of his much praised ww2 trilogy. been waiting for this one a while
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2016, 12:59 PM   #19372
evollove
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
dc cab - worse than i expected and i expected bad

I swear, this is the only one I'm interested in watching.
Old 08.28.2016, 01:18 PM   #19373
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I said it was "fun." I think I was thinking of the part where Ryan Gosling tries to manage his pants, gun, door and magazine. Classic. I wish whoever made that scene made the rest of the film.

Maybe I am fickle. I haven't actually liked a film in a long time. They mostly suck, I think.

Well, the spirit of the movie had nothing to do with any bloated plot or possible political undertones. It was all Gosling and Crowe. And I just love those guys.

About 15 minutes into the movies I made a comment to the effect of, "this is the most talking Ryan Gosling has done this decade."

He's on his way. He'll be one of the greats in a few years' time.
Old 08.28.2016, 01:37 PM   #19374
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I swear, this is the only one I'm interested in watching.
it really sucked

i grew up in dc so i wanted to like it but disappoint

2 out of 5 stars
Old 08.28.2016, 02:01 PM   #19375
evollove
invito al cielo

If it stars Mr T, it's already four stars, no matter what.

Quote:
He's on his way. He'll be one of the greats in a few years' time.

Check out "The Believer." (2001)
Old 08.28.2016, 02:04 PM   #19376
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
If it stars Mr T, it's already four stars, no matter what
he's not even that much in it, that's part of the problem
Old 08.28.2016, 03:35 PM   #19377
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
If it stars Mr T, it's already four stars, no matter what.

Check out "The Believer." (2001)

Will do. Haven't seen that one. Thanks.
Old 08.30.2016, 09:47 AM   #19378
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
DC Cab rules. crap movie but fun.
Old 08.30.2016, 09:50 AM   #19379
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

Saw this in theater. 3/5 stars. I was bored with the same old action tropes (swarm of bug-like bad guys? check. controlled by a master controller? check. Bad Guy has beef with federation? check)

I liked it enough as an entertaining swashbuckler, but it in no way made me think anything remotely star trek-ian. I like Trek for the moral dillemas, the personal dramas, and the difficult questions that the characters must deal with. this beyond movie has none of that.
Old 08.30.2016, 09:57 AM   #19380
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Saw this in theater. 3/5 stars. I was bored with the same old action tropes (swarm of bug-like bad guys? check. controlled by a master controller? check. Bad Guy has beef with federation? check)

I liked it enough as an entertaining swashbuckler, but it in no way made me think anything remotely star trek-ian. I like Trek for the moral dillemas, the personal dramas, and the difficult questions that the characters must deal with. this beyond movie has none of that.

Sorry to hear that. I still haven't seen it. They pulled it from local theaters after less than three weeks. Odd, considering it received pretty good reviews and made a fair amount of money and was unanimously praised for being better than Into Darkness (which I liked, 'cause it was fun). Oh, and considering it's the 50th anniversary. Stupid local theaters.

I'm still going to see it, and I'm certainly going to give it a chance, but it bums me out a bit to hear your reaction, because I like Star Trek for all the same reasons you do.

869919959966967968 969 97097197297910191069 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth