Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Peter Jackson's The Hobbit shot in 48fps/James Cameron predicts 100% 3D in next 5 yrs
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.14.2011, 07:15 AM   #1
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Will Peter Jackson's The Hobbit change cinema for ever?

The Lord of the Rings director is shooting his new film at 48 frames per second – twice as fast as the industry standard

•  
    A still from Peter Jackson’s old-fashioned 24fps film The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King Photograph: New Line Productions

The cinema, said Jean-Luc Godard, is truth, 24 times per second. That's not truthful enough for some people. This week, Peter Jackson announced that he is shooting his new version of The Hobbit at 48 frames per second, a massively more expensive process that captures movement and detail with far greater accuracy. In his blog, Jackson says that we have tolerated the sprockety old 24fps speed for far too long, and this is like "the moment when vinyl records were supplanted by digital CDs". Jackson calls for cinemas worldwide to switch over to 48fps projection speeds to show his Hobbit, which is of course in 3D; he dismisses "purists" unhappy at the consequent textural loss of blur and strobing – comparable, perhaps, to art historians who lament the cleaning of an Old Master canvas, which removes its grainy, characterful darkness.
    Are we witnessing that most unreliable phenomenon: the game-changer? Higher frame-rates have been mooted before, but like Imax and 3D, they have been used for theme-park displays: the economics of mass cinema distribution have made them untenable. But now Jackson is pushing hard for 48fps as the new gold standard. Is there no turning back? Will this be the future of cinema? It's difficult to tell. When Avatar came out, 3D was the coming thing, 2D was yesterdaysville. And yet the business has been relying on DVD sales, downloads and home entertainment. Can Avatar and the new 3D generation play as well on TV and computer screens? Last month there were worrying signs that even on the big screen, 3D hasn't cured all ills. Ticket sales are down. 3D flops such as Mars Needs Moms haven't helped. And people are still stubbornly unhappy about the dimming effect created by those hi-tech new specs.
    So how do we know when the game changes? When the talkies came in with The Jazz Singer, it changed in a big way. Silents were out. Many thought the same about radio when television came in: and yet radio survived and prospered. As for 48fps, Peter Jackson is almost certainly right when he says it's a cleaner, truer watch. But will the difficult economics of the movie business permit its widespread introduction? As Al Jolson might have said – we don't know nothin' yet.

Quote:
James Cameron expects 100% 3D within the next five years

All film and TV will be made in 3D soon, says Avatar director as he launches venture promoting industry take-up of technology

•  
    Outdated ... soon, says James Cameron, we won't need these to view 3D films or TV. Photograph: Alamy

Every cinema will be capable of showing 3D films within five years, James Cameron said yesterday at the launch of a new venture which aims to make the technology ubiquitous on both the big and small screen.
    The Cameron-Pace Group, which utilises technology developed for the film Avatar, aims to encourage film-makers, broadcasters and games manufacturers to embrace the brave new world of stereoscope. Cameron has partnered with Vince Pace, with whom he worked on the Fusion 3D camera system.
    "Our strategic plan is to make 3D ubiquitous over the next five to 10 years on all platforms," Cameron told the Hollywood Reporter. He said he expected to see 100% adoption of the technology in cinemas within three to five years, as well as rapid expansion of the home market.
    "We are shifting from having to create 50-70 (camera systems) for movies to thousands of rigs that need to be got out there for the rapidly growing broadcasting business," said Cameron. With 3D TVs already available for the home and TV channels broadcasting in stereoscope, the film-maker said there was a "content gap" which the new venture hoped to help fill.
    "Broadcasting is the future of 3D," Cameron said during a keynote speech at the National Association of Broadcasters Show in Las Vegas yesterday. "In two years, everything will be produced in 3D and 2D versions will be extracted from that."
    The Terminator director added that 3D in the home would really take off once new technology emerged which meant that viewers did not have to wear glasses. The adoption curve "is going to go ballistic" said Cameron.
    Some reports last year seized on box-office data suggesting the number of people preferring to see a film in 3D had dropped dramatically as evidence that the boom might be nearing its end. Hollywood studios have scoffed at the notion, however, and with three out of the top five films at the global box office last year having been screened in stereoscope, naysayers may be waiting a while for the fad to fizzle out.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/...inema-director

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/...ameron-3d-film
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2011, 07:22 AM   #2
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
yawn.
Old 04.14.2011, 07:22 AM   #3
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
The 48fps is especially interesting to me. Isn't that how they shot the fight scenes in Gladiator/Saving Private Ryan, and then just projected it in 24fps... am I right about that?

And if you're gonna raise the fps... why not just shoot digital? This is sort of confusing to me.
Old 04.14.2011, 07:34 AM   #4
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

I dunno, Cameron has some credibility when it comes to new film technology. Terminator 2 was at the forefront of the big CGI shift.

And even though Avatar was a lamer sack of piss than the entire LOTR trilogy, it was a game-changer in how it applied 3D technology to the depth of field, rather than gimmicks.

I mean, obviously the classics will always remain in 2D, but there is a lot of potential to 3D. Like Argento's 3D Dracula, and Herzog's 3D cave drawing documentary... I'd love to see those.
Old 04.14.2011, 07:39 AM   #5
jonathan
children of satan

jonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's asses
I've never seen a 3D movie that looked more realistic than a well done 2D movie. Even Avatar looked really cartoon-y and fake and way less believable than Yoda.
jonathan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2011, 08:42 AM   #6
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
open letter to Peter Jackson:

Peter,

Please just make horror movies. Nerd.

Sincerely,

--NR
Old 04.14.2011, 09:16 AM   #7
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I think CGI and the like just make things easier and so devalue the movie a little.

If you allow me to make an analogy, it is a bit like when I make music. Yeah sure I could just get a synthesiser and hold down a few keys for 10 minutes but I'd rather take my guitar and build something up myself and replicate sounds that a guitar isn't supposed to make. The creativity I have put personally into the sound is what makes it so special to me listening back even though I could easily do the exact same with the easier option.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2011, 09:21 AM   #8
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
I think CGI and the like just make things easier and so devalue the movie a little.

If you allow me to make an analogy, it is a bit like when I make music. Yeah sure I could just get a synthesiser and hold down a few keys for 10 minutes but I'd rather take my guitar and build something up myself and replicate sounds that a guitar isn't supposed to make. The creativity I have put personally into the sound is what makes it so special to me listening back even though I could easily do the exact same with the easier option.

like how in the original Nighmare On Elm Street, when Freddy pushes his face thru the bedroom wall, but they REALLY did it - Robrert England was pushing has face thru a stretchy bit of wall -- it looked scary! But in the remake it looked like a video game.
Old 04.14.2011, 09:33 AM   #9
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think this analogy is the one he wants: "and this is like "the moment when vinyl records were supplanted by digital CDs"."

We all know how that went..
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2011, 09:37 AM   #10
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I prefer Ralph Bakshi.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2011, 09:39 AM   #11
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
like how in the original Nighmare On Elm Street, when Freddy pushes his face thru the bedroom wall, but they REALLY did it - Robrert England was pushing has face thru a stretchy bit of wall -- it looked scary! But in the remake it looked like a video game.
Yeah, exactly. I'd rather the blood was raspberry jam and cream like in EVIL DEAD than some digital effect added in by the click of a button in post-production.
Old 04.14.2011, 09:50 AM   #12
noisereductions
invito al cielo

100% derek.
Old 04.14.2011, 10:49 AM   #13
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
why 3D sucks

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/01/post_4.html
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2011, 11:16 AM   #14
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Because kids will be scared and pee in their pants when a dragon comes off the screen, right in front of their nose.
Cause old people might get a heart attack.
Cause it's very expensive.
Cause it's useless for movies with no car chase, epic battles, action scenes in general.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2011, 12:05 PM   #15
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gualbert
Because kids will be scared and pee in their pants when a dragon comes off the screen, right in front of their nose.
Cause old people might get a heart attack.
Cause it's very expensive.
Cause it's useless for movies with no car chase, epic battles, action scenes in general.

what about tits?

but no, it's cuz the brain can't handle the difference between focus and convergence. read the article, it's pretty cool.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2011, 12:28 PM   #16
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Cameron can go fuck himself with the 100% 3D shit. It is nothing but a proverbial fancier suit when the old suit was just fine imho. 3D movies are like Liberace to me.
Old 04.14.2011, 01:53 PM   #17
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
I don't mind 3D for movies that are supposed to be "intense", like action, sci-fi, or horror, but 3D comedies? 3D period dramas? Pointless.
Old 04.14.2011, 01:56 PM   #18
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
I don;t mind 3D for movies that are supposed to be "intense", like action, sci-fi, or horror, but 3D comedies? 3D period dramas? Pointless.

agreed.

MBV3D was a lot of fun. But why does everything need to be 3D.
Old 04.14.2011, 02:15 PM   #19
Derek
invito al cielo

Because people like the gimmick.
Old 04.14.2011, 02:28 PM   #20
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Because people like the gimmick.
And too often people prove themselves morons

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth