Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Robert Anton Wilson
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.25.2009, 12:42 PM   #1
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
After reading about him and hearing a couple of interviews he seemed like a pretty interesting dude, but now I'm reading The Illuminatus Trilogy, the first few pages were very funny, but now i've read 130 and I'm not really enjoying at all, is it worth reading the remaining 670 pages? Are his other books any good? Any other opinions about him?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.25.2009, 12:50 PM   #2
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
I used to have a friend who would say "Keep an open mind, they'll fill it with bullshit" and I think The Illuminatus Trilogy is a perfect example of that, not that I've gotten as far as you did. RAW gave great interviews and lectures, but I've always been let down by his books. There are history texts out there that are much more useful, IMO, but this book is just a fiction.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.25.2009, 01:09 PM   #3
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
He's someone who I keep meaning to read, just out of curiosity. What is his basic thing? I know it's meant to be some massive conspiracy theory but I don't know what about.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.25.2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
hell yes finish tyhe damn book

you will thank me later

the first 130-200 pages seems crazy, then the next 200 pages are even crazier and make your mind flip, then the last 200 pages brings it all together.

RAW is one of my idols. I have most of his books, and collections of essays, plus DVD's and audio tapes of his letures.

the illumniatus trilogy is supposed to be a mindfuck, where Shea and Wilson create a story based on "what if every single conspiracy you ahve ever heard about was true?" They both worked as editors for -playboy and woud receive endless leters from people detailing the latest conspiracy.

Schroedinger's Cat Trilogy is fucking aweosme too

so is the Widow's son.
Old 02.25.2009, 03:30 PM   #5
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
where Shea and Wilson create a story based on "what if every single conspiracy you ahve ever heard about was true?".

I just think your time is better spent on real history which is much stranger than made up conspiracy. Of course most people call anything they haven't heard on corporate news a conspiracy.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.25.2009, 03:54 PM   #6
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
they are not trying to teach history.

they are overhwlming the conspiracy dolts with an overdose.

they do not personally believe these conspiracies.
Old 02.25.2009, 06:55 PM   #7
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
from what i've read RAW believes some of the conspiracy stuff but likes to through together the stuff he believes with the stuff he doesn't, just to confuse people. anyway, i guess i was expecting the illuminatus trilogy to be like a cross between james shelby downard and philip k dick, and when it wasn't i was a bit disappointed
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.25.2009, 08:40 PM   #8
Kloriel
expwy. to yr skull

Kloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's asses
It isn't bad, but I was a little let down with the trilogy. I haven't picked up anything else yet, but I intend to, so it wasn't like... eating piles of shit and separating the dead worms from the rest of the fecal matter.

The problem is when you tattoo pyramids to your faces. Please, I mean no offense to any readers with such ink.. just a matter of personal taste and how far you wanna test your taste. If you like garlic, by all means eat garlic, but if you're draping your thresholds with it to keep the vampires out - well that can be cool too, but anyway... it is not all just personal choice but also where're you're at.

I'd say go about it if you want, if you dig the plot, etc. If you're expecting some ultra mind fuck, set it down and read something pre-1923.

Also I agree with Tesla about reading histories... the problem with that is that often times historians, who know their craft / facts... don't often cross with writers that welcome the vague and blurred lines, if that makes sense.

Plus, that is a whole other box. (historical narratives). I won't call it pandora's because that poor chick needs a fucking rest.
Kloriel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.26.2009, 10:10 AM   #9
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

It is definitely much more entertaining and hilarious than Finnegan's wake, or Ulysses.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth