Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Let's talk about the future of art
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.24.2009, 03:03 PM   #41
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, we could somehow privatize the endowment of the arts as a survivor-esque reality television show.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2009, 03:09 PM   #42
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I can't wait for the art world to fall apart. Only then we'll be able to tell the true charlatans from those who have the balls to stay. And it will be great when the (art) world will finally realise that Brian Sewell was right all along, wether one likes his personality or not. There has been so much money wasted on the 'arts', so much useless talk, that it will be refreshing to see something that is not an urgent necessity for so many people taking a step back and fight its corner. YAY!

agreed! except for the part about brian sewell-- i dont know much about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
maybe in the UK, but the US's National Endowment for the arts funding is around $0.35 per person per year. that is MININAL spending.

well the good news is that NEA funding was increased by about 17 cents per person in the new stimulus bill. after years of being gutted by the republicunts, and after surviving persecution from the yahoo philistines, the 50 million allocation made it alive. hurray!

http://www.insidethearts.com/scannin...ty-ronish/810/
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2009, 05:18 PM   #43
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'm in favour of a limited and highly rationalised funding of the arts but I absolutely agree with you about much of the art world's sheer level of expectancy when it comes to receiving such funding. I know a number of people who occupy the title of 'artist' but who spend considerably more time securing grants than they do actually creating something in the studio. And the tantrums I've witnessed when one of their claims has been rejected are quite unbelievable. A lot of these people really do need to be asked a very straightforward question: what exactly is it that you do?

but the trouble with limited funding is that it is always going to be a matter of personal opinion what is worth spending money on so it won't ever be that rational, except to the person making the decisions.
anyway, it sounds like the "artists" you're talking about totally lack integrity, what's the difference between them and people who live off benefits rather than work?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2009, 05:23 PM   #44
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
art schools, at least whe I was involved in them and studying, did very little to prepare artists for the business end of the art world. TRhey prepared you for critiques, in focusing what you want to do, and in experimentation, but nothing at all about how to sell your art, or even how to get it seen. I graduated 1997, so I guess the art school's focus has changed maybe.

bt there wa sso much BULLSHIT as well.

i graduated two years ago and they did nothing to prepare us for the business end of art, probably because the tutors on my course had little to no experience of it. they did try to groom us in how to apply for funding though.
Old 02.24.2009, 05:26 PM   #45
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe you're the future of art Herr & Bowels? Y'know, what with already being a jaded Eton fist-fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2009, 05:29 PM   #46
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

also, what do these artists do that they need funding for, unless they're doing some sort of grand scale sculpture or installation? i met a girl who recently got funding to do a piece of contemporary dance, what the fuck costs so much money that you would need for to dance that you can't pay for it out of what you earn in your day job (assumimg she has one)?!
Old 02.24.2009, 05:33 PM   #47
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Maybe you're the future of art Herr & Bowels? Y'know, what with already being a jaded Eton fist-fan?

I probably am, thanks for the advice.
Old 02.24.2009, 05:34 PM   #48
sarramkrop

Grand scale stuff is not the only problem. A good 70% of people who are going to grand scale plays, and give fundings for these things to happen, don't even remember the name of what they're watching. That's disgusting.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2009, 05:37 PM   #49
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
also, what do these artists do that they need funding for, unless they're doing some sort of grand scale sculpture or installation? i met a girl who recently got funding to do a piece of contemporary dance, what the fuck costs so much money that you would need for to dance that you can't pay for it out of what you earn in your day job (assumimg she has one)?!

it is so you can make art without having to work 40-50 hours a week, exhausting energy on a Job, instead of yr artwork. it is like patronage
Old 02.24.2009, 05:39 PM   #50
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Grand scale stuff is not the only problem. A good 70% of people who are going to grand scale plays, and give fundings for these things to happen, don't even remember the name of what they're watching. That's disgusting.

Why is that disgusting? I go to quite a few plays and galleries, and more infrequently things like operas, I don't necessarily remember what I've watched or go because I'm a massive fan of the artist concerned. There's a lot of people - I suspect a majority of arts patrons - who go for the experience over anything.

I've possibly misunderstood what you're saying, so don't take this as me laying into you, but if people went to plays with the same sort of attitude as they do films, you'd overnight find a massive reduction in snobbery. It's a comparable experience, but only the very biggest plays make money (outside of London, I know London is very good) while a crap film will be watched by millions, in spite of everyone involved know it's crap (I'm thinking the Star Wars prequels).

EDIT - you were talking about public funding for twattery. I see. I can't really square that one, feel free to ignore the above].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2009, 06:00 PM   #51
sarramkrop

Some of these people are related to somone who is acting in the play. Sometimes I've chatted to actors who didn't even know who directed the play they were in etc. It puts all people who make an effort in a bad light. I don't even know why I'm posting this 'cause I don't give a shit as much as I find it a disgusting thing, if it makes any sense, which it doesn't, since I'm posting about it.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2009, 06:11 PM   #52
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i've gotten a good chunk of grants in the past 2 years, one i got news about today, it's a nice wad of money, from a private source, though i've gotten government grants too, and why am i going to bitch about it? i'ts money i put to good use. i have a day job too-- fuckit, that's the reason i work weekends and i have no life, writing grants and looking for money and trying to squeeze moviemaking after a day full of poverty and sorrows. bring them on! (the dollars, that is).
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2009, 06:13 PM   #53
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i met a girl who recently got funding to do a piece of contemporary dance, what the fuck costs so much money that you would need for to dance that you can't pay for it out of what you earn in your day job (assumimg she has one)?!

Money to help survive when she is working on the project + venue hire + production expenses. The performing arts is a ridiculously expensive avenue to pursue and the funding allocated is very sparse. There are student production staff who will work via secondment for very little, but anyone with any experience does not come cheap, and then you have actual production costs, and tour costs if anyone ends up liking what you do.
It makes me want to cry when my theatrical stage manager partner complains about his wage and that he is underpaid. It is a regular argument. Standard wage includes accomodation and travel paid for when touring, weekly 'living allowance' (cash in hand of around an extra 33% of his weekly) + weekly wage. On tour this can work out to an overall value over the 3k mark per week. So think about this per person.. and your 'fudning' doesnt seem to go very far anymore.
If you're an actor and you have to actually 'do' anything while on stage other than your role (ie moving some props or set) then you are entitled to assistant stage manager bonuses also.. SHEESh.
Old 02.24.2009, 06:21 PM   #54
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Why is that disgusting? I go to quite a few plays and galleries, and more infrequently things like operas, I don't necessarily remember what I've watched or go because I'm a massive fan of the artist concerned. There's a lot of people - I suspect a majority of arts patrons - who go for the experience over anything.

I've possibly misunderstood what you're saying, so don't take this as me laying into you, but if people went to plays with the same sort of attitude as they do films, you'd overnight find a massive reduction in snobbery. It's a comparable experience, but only the very biggest plays make money (outside of London, I know London is very good) while a crap film will be watched by millions, in spite of everyone involved know it's crap (I'm thinking the Star Wars prequels).
Absolutely. I don't see anything wrong with someone attending a show who doesn't really remember it.. because I'm part of the arts community and need to keep the attitude of 'any money is good money' in order to survive. There is a lot of snobbery but most if it is fairly earned.. The theatrical arts are supported almost enitrely by patrons, so it's no surprise that they are ready to boast about this when given the chance.

Also to be honest anyone attending local theatre at the moment is doing more for their economy than someone going to the movies.
Old 02.24.2009, 06:25 PM   #55
phoenix
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

where will tracy emin find her dough now?

!!!
Old 02.24.2009, 06:30 PM   #56
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
they did try to groom us in how to apply for funding though.

Interesting. I just groom mine.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2009, 06:35 PM   #57
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
Money to help survive when she is working on the project + venue hire + production expenses.

fuck a venue, these people dance in the street and they are better than she will ever be
Old 02.24.2009, 07:15 PM   #58
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
Absolutely. I don't see anything wrong with someone attending a show who doesn't really remember it.. because I'm part of the arts community and need to keep the attitude of 'any money is good money' in order to survive. There is a lot of snobbery but most if it is fairly earned.. The theatrical arts are supported almost enitrely by patrons, so it's no surprise that they are ready to boast about this when given the chance.

Also to be honest anyone attending local theatre at the moment is doing more for their economy than someone going to the movies.

I'm not even getting into a discussion about it 'cause you're talking nonsense, but I have it from someone in Melbourne that the art 'scene' there and the one in London are as similar to each other and are as nonsense as nonsense could be.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2009, 07:23 PM   #59
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

fuck the art scene, fuck it to death!
Old 02.24.2009, 07:26 PM   #60
sarramkrop

You're so full of opinions Toilet and Bowels, why do you not put them all into practice?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth