Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Subcultures that don't know shit about their cultural history
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.04.2006, 11:53 PM   #61
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrrtyboots

NOOOOOO!!! It blinds me!
Old 08.04.2006, 11:53 PM   #62
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
every-e- haha. the legacy of the strokes. that just sounds horrible.

shakira IS EVIL...

in one episode of the show, they put at the drive-in. the guy host was like "are they indie or not?", the girl host was like "i guess they were, i mean they don't sound like interpol but there's some of it in there right?", the guy: "well, we're playing this video mainly becuase they were like the indie of their day, radio certainly played the hell out of their song; this is from the album that was released on somebody's label, right?" the girl: "yeah, they were on the beastie boys label i think, do you know any other band from the beatie boys label?" the guy:"no, not that i can think of except for the beastie boys. so anyway, they broke up and formed two bands, the mars volta and sparta, which i don't like because i don't like progressive rock and the mars volta are kinda emo; so anyway here si the video for their big hit called 'one armed scissor'" and then went on to put the video for 'invalid litter dept'.

and shakira is one of the grossest women i can think of, not to mention her voice...she is indeed evil.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2006, 11:54 PM   #63
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by finding nobody

i found this by typing "indie" on google images

oh man that is so unfortunate.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2006, 11:56 PM   #64
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
in one episode of the show, they put at the drive-in. the guy host was like "are they indie or not?", the girl host was like "i guess they were, i mean they don't sound like interpol but there's some of it in there right?", the guy: "well, we're playing this video mainly becuase they were like the indie of their day, radio certainly played the hell out of their song; this is from the album that was released on somebody's label, right?" the girl: "yeah, they were on the beastie boys label i think, do you know any other band from the beatie boys label?" the guy:"no, not that i can think of except for the beastie boys. so anyway, they broke up and formed two bands, the mars volta and sparta, which i don't like because i don't like progressive rock and the mars volta are kinda emo; so anyway here si the video for their big hit called 'one armed scissor'" and then went on to put the video for 'invalid litter dept'.

and shakira is one of the grossest women i can think of, not to mention her voice...she is indeed evil.

what the crap?! thats kinda embarrassing. a) as a devout ATDI fan and b) as a respectable human being.

i think they meant "Sparta are kinda emo" and they neeed to be.. taken off the air, for sure.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
Old 08.04.2006, 11:57 PM   #65
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i can see your point. it just kind of irks me when people don't even care to find out their influences, how the music evolved, etc.
I definitely find it sad when people are closed off to stuff outside their comfort zone, especially when it's a direct influence. Like Nirvana fans who listen to one Sonic Youth song and decide they hate them. That does bug me quite a bit. The fun of music is following the endless trail of connections and influence. They're missing out on so much.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2006, 11:59 PM   #66
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
every-e- haha. "they don't sound like interpol".. oh man.

joel- lol.

kkrack- yeah, that santa claus movie was shit. i don't like jim, either. props for him also being able to dislocate his jaw, though.

acoustic- exactly. i showed my friend the teenage riot video and she said "what the heck IS THAT?". meh. the whole trail is the exciting part. i always feel kind of sad that there's a lot of stuff i might be missing/have missed, but even if it's just one new band i find, it's a good feeling.
Old 08.05.2006, 12:03 AM   #67
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
what the crap?! thats kinda embarrassing. a) as a devout ATDI fan and b) as a respectable human being.

i think they meant "Sparta are kinda emo" and they neeed to be.. taken off the air, for sure.

i even think they said sparta were too "progressive rock" or something but i can't remember because i was laughing so hard.

the thing is they wouldn't know the difference beyween sparta and the beatles because they know crap about music, they are just parrots repeating whatever crap they are told to say. and these are supposed to be "music experts", the guy host was on one of the biggest alternative rock stations in mexico and pretty much everyone who was slightly linked to that station, without considering their intelligence or lack of, are considered deities on youth media, so of course he has a tv show, no matter he might confuse the cure with fall out boy.
Old 08.05.2006, 12:05 AM   #68
k-krack
invito al cielo

thats a friggin shame, man.

has anybody heard Thighpaulsandra?

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
Old 08.05.2006, 12:05 AM   #69
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
I definitely find it sad when people are closed off to stuff outside their comfort zone, especially when it's a direct influence. Like Nirvana fans who listen to one Sonic Youth song and decide they hate them. That does bug me quite a bit. The fun of music is following the endless trail of connections and influence. They're missing out on so much.

how about sonic youth fans who only listen to nirvana, hole, pearl jam, mudhoney, dinosaur jr, babes in toyland, jane's addiction, screaming trees, tad, soundgarden and smashing pumpkins?
Old 08.05.2006, 12:13 AM   #70
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
oh man, the thread went silent.
Old 08.05.2006, 12:16 AM   #71
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
I had something to say...but when I went type it out I forgot completely.
Old 08.05.2006, 12:17 AM   #72
k-krack
invito al cielo

admittedly, i used to be one of those. now i hardly listen to any of the bands listed
it was a bit of a stage where i wanted to be "grunge". you go through many 'stages' in those formative years. i went from being a kiss fanatic as a small small child to liking punkrock and only punkrock togrunge and hardcore and such... and then i guess i am now more wisened up... but i still sorta consider myself an "indie kid" type dude. as much as i hate that term.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
Old 08.05.2006, 12:22 AM   #73
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Other people's taste in music (or anything, for that matter) doesn't particularly concern me. As self-centered as it may sound, what you listen to doesn't affect my preferences, so, to each his own. While some people find they appreciate a certain band or genre moreso because they understand the evolution and contributing culture, other people don't consider that necessary/beneficial. Again, whatever works for you, as long as it gets you off.

Clubbers could wage the same criticisms against me - I'm not well-versed on the history of house music, but I find it quite fun to listen to. I'm sure that to them, I'm demeaning what they deem to be their true musical appreciation.

On the subject of Jim Carrey: his comedic styling is rather grating, but I resolutely assert that he is a fucking fantastic dramatic actor. FANTASTIC, I say. And that, in combination with his (albeit unsavory) comedic success, makes him one of the most versatile actors in modern film industry. This is iron-clad, indisputable fact, as are all my opinions.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 12:24 AM   #74
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Quote:
oh man, the thread went silent.

hahahahahahahahaha.

most people here in mexico, when i tell them i like sonic youth they go "so, how's the new foo fighters album? pearl jam must be your favorite band!!!". i once showed my noise band to a friend and mentioned i was a bit influenced by sonic youth and when he heard the stuff i recorded he said "i thought it was going to sound like grunge!"

there's nothing wrong with liking those bands, at all, but i just think it's very closed minded and short sighted to still be in awe of bands from the late 80's/early 90's that mostly aped music from the 60's and 70's.

i've never attached myself to a single current or music genre; even when i was like 13 or 14 and into metal with long hair and everything, i still wore ripped jeans and flannel shirts and listened to punk and "grunge" and, a little later on, electronica. i just don't understand how people can do it.

i did and still do, however, get into phases were a get deeply into a certain sound and certain bands and want to explore more of the same while not giving anything i already like and listen to up. i go thru the phase, get every bit of information, a bunch of music from different artists and just dig it as much as i can until i'm ready to listen to something else.
Old 08.05.2006, 12:26 AM   #75
k-krack
invito al cielo

i have heard that eternal sunshine.... is a great movie, but i havent seen it yet. and no matter how popular he may be i just cannot understand why on earth he is!! its all highly disposable faces and one mock voice. it's unjust that he is making millions of dollars a movie, when some outright hilarious standup comics and the like can't even make a proper living.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
Old 08.05.2006, 12:30 AM   #76
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
As I said, I'm not a fan of his comedy technique, but even in those stints, you can tell that he's one versatile and talented bastard. I'm not particularly a fan of many of his films either (though I did like Eternal Sunshine), but there's still no denying that he is an amazing dramatic talent. One of the few actors around that isn't contrived, overly histrionic, self-aware, and/or pigeon-holed.

Ignore them haters, Jim. I still love you.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2006, 12:31 AM   #77
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

jim carey rules on with:

-ace ventura
-ace ventura II
-dumb and dumber

the rest of his movies i can do without but those are too funny. he is generally perceived as a better actor/comedian than he really is thought.
Old 08.05.2006, 12:31 AM   #78
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

eternal sunshine was pretty good. there's something about him, though. there's a few actors/musicians i just can't stand and i have no idea why.
Old 08.05.2006, 12:33 AM   #79
k-krack
invito al cielo

i have a big idea as to why i hate him so hard (as you have seen). i just cannt stand that dude.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
Old 08.05.2006, 12:36 AM   #80
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Well it looks like some other people got there before me, but hopefully these will help sway you:

I could probably recite this movie word-for-word. In fact, on road trips, my family has been known to play our own Dumb & Dumber trivia game, in which we try to stump each other with obscure questions pertaining to the movie.

"You left it at the airport, you big goof."

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth