Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.10.2023, 09:08 AM   #25541
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Is there a Richard Feynman character?
Old 08.10.2023, 09:31 AM   #25542
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Is there a Richard Feynman character?

Yeah. He had like, I wanna say 2 or 3 minutes of screentime altogether - like most of the characters that weren't Oppie himself.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2023, 11:11 AM   #25543
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon

[... ]

However, I feel like Nolan's tendency to accentuate the spectacular over the more subtle notions once again was a bit of a detriment.

[... ]

But the way the story was told seemed a tad disjointed.

funny you should say that, i felt the similarly about dunkirk. have not seen oppenheimer yet.

but in dunkirk i was immediately impressed by the pure spectacle of the thing.... visual, audio, camera... the action... and then... it ended? i was immersed in that world and then i was like... wait a minute! is this all?? did i miss something?

it's not that "i wanted more", it's more like... i didn't get a solid sense of narrative.

maybe nolan is actually the memento guy lol. i mean the character. maybe he forgets things

-

compare to 1917. i loved 1917. it was also an immersive film about an old timey war. there was realism but there was also a beginning, a middle, and an end. tension and release/relief. a story proper. it feels like a dream and you go in those tunnels, but you're going somewhere, and you get there in the end.

with dunkirk there were some great characters and situations, but i did not see them come together in a cogent way. there are snippets, things happen, more things happen, all impressively, and then it ends. memento!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2023, 01:37 AM   #25544
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Watched William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet (1996), and fuck that's my stuff. Blatant homoeroticism, overbearing Christian imagery, hook it to my veins.
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2023, 09:24 AM   #25545
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
Watched William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet (1996), and fuck that's my stuff. Blatant homoeroticism, overbearing Christian imagery, hook it to my veins.
well! baz luhrmann will baz luhrmann. and isn't he your compatriot? check out all of his work. "strictly ballroom" is actually a fun indie (i was surprised by it).

now anyone please tell me what happened to poor juliet lol

Old 08.11.2023, 09:28 AM   #25546
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

anyway i came here originally to say i watched AMERICAN FACTORY yesterday

and holy shit, chinese communism is SOOOOOOOOO FUCKING CREEPY. so fucking creepy!

everyone who wants "communism" should watch. goddamn! bone-chiling.

don't get me wrong, all those militarized workers put on a happy face, but... that's precisely the scary part.

fuck! i'm traumatized for life. you like "horror" movies? watch this one. it creeps up slowly and suddenly... BLAM!

Old 08.12.2023, 06:40 AM   #25547
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
funny you should say that, i felt the similarly about dunkirk. have not seen oppenheimer yet.

but in dunkirk i was immediately impressed by the pure spectacle of the thing.... visual, audio, camera... the action... and then... it ended? i was immersed in that world and then i was like... wait a minute! is this all?? did i miss something?

it's not that "i wanted more", it's more like... i didn't get a solid sense of narrative.

maybe nolan is actually the memento guy lol. i mean the character. maybe he forgets things

-

compare to 1917. i loved 1917. it was also an immersive film about an old timey war. there was realism but there was also a beginning, a middle, and an end. tension and release/relief. a story proper. it feels like a dream and you go in those tunnels, but you're going somewhere, and you get there in the end.

with dunkirk there were some great characters and situations, but i did not see them come together in a cogent way. there are snippets, things happen, more thing happen, all impressively, and then it ends. memento!

I just rewatched Dunkirk and I think it’s pretty much perfect. I feel like that movie almost intentionally diverted from too much connection with specific characters to drive home the point of, “Hey, war, amirite? It’s bloody chaos and I don’t mind telling you.”

Also I love the 3 different timeframes/speeds. Really well executed. Honestly it’s probably his best film. But Interstellar is probably the one I love the most on an emotional level, and Dark Knight is the one I watch the most, as you know.

I haven’t seen 1917.

Haven’t seen Oppenheimer either.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2023, 10:18 AM   #25548
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I just rewatched Dunkirk and I think it’s pretty much perfect. I feel like that movie almost intentionally diverted from too much connection with specific characters to drive home the point of, “Hey, war, amirite? It’s bloody chaos and I don’t mind telling you.”

Also I love the 3 different timeframes/speeds. Really well executed. Honestly it’s probably his best film. But Interstellar is probably the one I love the most on an emotional level, and Dark Knight is the one I watch the most, as you know.

I haven’t seen 1917.

Haven’t seen Oppenheimer either.

the fragmented war thing and multiple perspectives i get implicitly of course, it's not a new device. and i love some of these small narratives, the pleasure yacht one was my favorite, very thrilling. and they all connect with each other of course, so it's not like they are meant to happen separately. they are multiple perspectives on the same thing.

but i come out lacking an overall sense of unity in the work. a sense of an ending not for this or that story but for the film itself, and from the larger story overall. there is a larger story of course, churchill wants his 30,000 but gets 300,000, the british army could have been annihilated right there but was rescued by a myriad small ships, and that is just told with words. i would have liked to see it. we see a few small pieces, and the pieces connect, but where the pieces fit in the overall scheme remains invisible; we're just told how things ended.

i have not seen interstellar, but my favorite of his movies continues to be memento. it is gritty, heartbreaking, philosophical, and well acted. when it came out it was like nothing else out there. it still feels like that. for me nolan is and will continue to be the memento guy until he blows my mind again with something else. but the thing is, artists tend to have their themes and they revisit them over and over. for example, scorsese is the guy from taxi driver and raging bull and goodfellas. he's made a lot more but those 3 rise very high and sort of define the rest of the work. similarly, yeah, memento ftw, for me.

anyway, 1917 is fucking great. there is a terrible chaos and much confusion as well, most of the time you don't know what the fuck is going on, but what brings it all together is the mission that drives through the middle of it. for this at times it feels like a video game, and i'm sure there is an influence of fps games in it, but it's not limited by that in any way, it just uses the device very very well. holy fuck, i love that film. i'd rewatch it this second.
Old 08.13.2023, 10:42 AM   #25549
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

i found a cogent and erudite review of dunkirk that connects it with memento!

https://cinema-scope.com/cinema-scop...special-event/

seems i was not hallucinating after all. the author finds also something missing in the end--he's disappointed by the british patriotism being the closer, i'm just missing the larger shape of it i guess, rather than the concept. we all want different things so that's to be expected.
Old 08.14.2023, 08:50 AM   #25550
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
well! baz luhrmann will baz luhrmann. and isn't he your compatriot? check out all of his work. "strictly ballroom" is actually a fun indie (i was surprised by it).

now anyone please tell me what happened to poor juliet lol

HJAHAHAHAA!!!
Old 08.14.2023, 09:06 AM   #25551
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

watched Clive Barker's the Lord of Illusions.

Surprisingly good. wuold have been much better if they had not cast scott bakula in the leasd, or the guy that played Mr. Kruger in Sewinfeld as the bad guy.

terrible casting.
Old 08.14.2023, 11:17 AM   #25552
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
I'm really tired, so I misunderstood and thought:

Was Freddie Krueger ever in Seinfeld? Must have missed that episode!

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2023, 01:52 PM   #25553
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

hahahaha
Old 08.14.2023, 09:17 PM   #25554
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Mystery Date from 1991.
Old 08.17.2023, 09:15 PM   #25555
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Starship Troopers
Old 09.02.2023, 08:52 AM   #25556
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses

the movie is OK-ish, but it's got some truly horrific music

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2023, 11:11 AM   #25557
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_

the movie is OK-ish,
what! nooooo

fucking orson welles is selling tainted antibiotics because he regards people as nothing! it's a classic movie. brilliant.

here some votes of support:
https://youtu.be/r9yyDEDGlr0

just last night i watched "the big short." it's the same thing, only worse. those bankers should have watched "the third man." they probably did, in fact, but learned the wrong lessons.
Old 09.04.2023, 11:40 AM   #25558
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_

the movie is OK-ish, but it's got some truly horrific music

Fantastic movie and an absolutely iconic soundtrack. And I'm not just saying this because Karas was allegedly born a few blocks from where I live.

That tune is so fucking catchy. I think it actually was one of the first instances that made me reconsider my distaste for what they call "Volksmusik" a bit - around here that term usually gets attributed to dismal "Schlager"-music that is either evoking idyllic rustical vapidness or antiquated vapid courtship shenanigans. However, true "Volksmusik" also exists and can be good from time to time -in spirit not unlike British Folk in let's say the 60s and 70s - played differently, but similar vibes in tone and content. I think Karas' soundtrack kind of planted that thought that just because something is played in a rustic and dare I say "quaint" way, it doesn't necessarily have to be bad.

Also, the song perfectly fits what they call the Viennese character - a chipper and easygoing temper in the face of doom. I think there'd have been no better way to score the gloomy atmosphere of post-war Vienna than a chipper ditty like that one. It taps right into Viennese humor - very morbid, but delivered with ease and tranquility, also a good bit of silliness.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2023, 09:26 AM   #25559
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

finally watched WITHNAIL & I. I loved it. I had never seen it, because I thought it would be like My Dinner With Andre, which I also watched recently as well, and liked. Old me likes things young me found boring.

Old 09.08.2023, 09:48 AM   #25560
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

finally watched WITHNAIL & I. I loved it. I had never seen it, because I thought it would be like My Dinner With Andre, which I also watched recently as well, and liked. Old me likes things young me found boring.

haha, great! i love both movies. also glad to see the evolution in your tastes.

and i can't help it with vizzini, lol. everytime i see that actor in any role, his famous catchphrase invades my mind xD

wallace shawn! that's his name. my brain only knows him as "inconceivable" hahaha.

i think i discovered "my dinner with andre" from watching "community" (abed has an episode with jeff...) i was shocked at how much i liked it.
778117812281268127512761277 1278 127912801281 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth