Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Shoegazer Documentary being Made
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.13.2007, 04:12 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
from pitchfork:

In the mid-to-late eighties, as the story goes, a number of bands based primarily in the UK took their guitars and looked forward-- by looking down.

Shoegazers, as they came to be known (at first derisively), utilized noise and distortion and anything else their amps and pedals could conjure to seek a higher musical truth, and the resulting touchstone records-- My Bloody Valentine's Isn't Anything and Loveless, the Jesus and Mary Chain's Psychocandy, any number of Cocteau Twins LPs, and others-- have cast a significant shadow of influence over countless acts in the ensuing 20-odd years.

It's this fertile period, during which shoegazers honed their craft and the genre found its voice, that first-time feature director Eric Green intends to address and celebrate with his documentary Beautiful Noise.

Queens-bred, L.A.-based Green and partner/editor Sarah Ogletree conceived of Beautiful Noise as "a celebration of these records," as Green told Pitchfork recently.

"It's basically about the Cocteau Twins, the Jesus and Mary Chain, and My Bloody Valentine, and what an indelible impact they had on modern music.

"The bulk of the movie is in the late 80s-early 90s, which is a pretty interesting time period, because a lot of these groups were picked up by major labels in the U.S. Around 1990, people thought that this was going to be the next big thing. And then there was a huge backlash, and [shoegaze] was turned over for, let's say, more press-friendly genres.

"But I think this music had a lasting impact on me and other people," Green says, "and I think it's important that a story from that time period be told."

To help tell that story, then, Green went straight to the sources, interviewing on camera pretty much anyone who's anyone in the genre: My Bloody Valentine's Kevin Shields and Debbie Googe, JAMC's Reid brothers and Douglas Hart, and Cocteau Twins' Robin Guthrie and Simon Raymonde, as well as Robert Smith (the Cure), Neil Halstead (Slowdive), Mark Gardner and Andy Bell (Ride), Emma Anderson (Lush), Adam Franklin (Swervedriver), Toni Halliday (Curve), Bobby Gillespie (Primal Scream), David Pearce (Flying Saucer Attack), Ian Masters (Pale Saints), Martin Carr (the Boo Radleys), noted producer Alan Moulder, and Creation honcho Alan McGee.
Green also sat down with noisemakers who owe a debt to shoegaze-- such as Billy Corgan, Trent Reznor, and Wayne Coyne-- as well as contemporary bands still tapping into the genre's essence, like Asobi Seksu, Serena-Maneesh, Ladytron, and Autolux, among others.

Cocteau Twins' Robin Guthrie

Talking to Shields was particularly revelatory for Green. "He has to be one of the most fascinating people I've ever met," the director enthused.

"He really lived up to all the expectations. He's amazingly warm and generous. He doesn't just talk about music; he's very well-read about politics and science. Part of him is amazing, genius-- the other part of him, he's really a down-to-earth, friendly guy."

In all, Green has already laid 47 interviews to tape. And while the film itself is more or less in the editing stages, Green says he's "99% there" with interview footage. "There [are] still people out there that are still possibilities, and I don't want to write anyone out until we're all stitched and edited."

Green can't say for sure how soon the documentary will be completed. "I've been on it for two and half years. When it seems we're getting closer and closer, things come up. But, we're getting close-- it could be a couple weeks, it could be a couple of months."

Green says Beautiful Noise is "definitely for" longtime fans of the shoegaze genre. But he also "hope[s] to appeal to the person that may not have heard of these groups and hasn't heard too many of their records. [Perhaps] if they see it they'll want to go out and buy a few records by some of these groups. I think these are amazingly influential bands that had some popularity, but weren't as popular as they should've been."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im excited by this, I cant wait to see it. It sounds like it will be done well. How many of you would go see it? What would you expect to see?
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2007, 05:32 PM   #2
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Cool. Thanks for the info.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2007, 05:48 PM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
This is pretty cool, though it's obviously going to overlook lots of important bands. I want to see Slowdive in it!!

Also, I find it funny Reznor is going to be interviewed in it.. I've never heard ANY "shoegaze" elements in ANY of his work... unless layering tons of guitars automatically makes you "shoegaze"... the funny thing about Reznor though is that he actually likes lots of good music... Brainiac, Autechre, etc.. so he might offer some decent insight.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2007, 06:41 PM   #4
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
I actually came on here to link this... And also it already mentions that slowdive will be featured in it, i guess.

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2007, 07:31 PM   #5
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I think a straight up movie about a fictional shoegaze band would be more entertaining. The shoegaze spinal tap so to speak.

Or a nonfictional one. Imagine a movie about MBV made by Michel Gondry. Or a movie about the Jesus and Mary Chain in sort of a Trainspotting style.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2007, 07:15 AM   #6
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
err sorry, I guess I meant to either space the sentences more or say "I can't wait to see Slowdive in it!!" though, on that note, it'll probably just be a quick "So, hey, Slowdive, you are shoegaze right?" And the dude'll go "DUH I LIKE ECHO FX"

Old 07.15.2007, 04:48 AM   #7
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Looks promising.
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2007, 04:51 AM   #8
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
The scene that celebrates itself...

Unfortunately, so should have the critics.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2007, 05:44 AM   #9
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
In relation to this thread, has anyone seen that little documentary on Heavy/Stoner music, called "Such Hawks Such Hounds".
Dead Meadow put it up on there myspace profile, quite interesting.
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=4685368&bl ogID=285020373
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2007, 05:46 AM   #10
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
Damn, I'm looking forward to this looks nice!
Old 07.15.2007, 05:49 AM   #11
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
I hope it includes Loop and Spacemen 3

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2007, 06:13 AM   #12
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
a shoegaze spinal tap.................

my fringe goes up to eleven!!!!

looking forward to it but i have the fear that its gonna be shite. i just hope tha they stop the film at the point of the release of wake up boo by the boo radleys, that was the death of shoegazing for me....

jesus and marychain??? cocteau twins???? this mortal coil???? surely gotta be mentioned or are they too old to be included in the scene that ingested itself.........
Old 07.15.2007, 08:15 AM   #13
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
SKYWAVE should be mentioned.
Old 07.15.2007, 08:17 AM   #14
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
This sounds great, cheers for the info.
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2007, 08:17 AM   #15
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

haven't listened to my favorite lesbian lovers cocteau twins in years, gimme an album reccomendation..

Old 07.15.2007, 01:10 PM   #16
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
The Kitchens of Distinction should've been mentioned.
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2007, 06:07 AM   #17
SonicSam
children of satan

SonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's asses
When's this out?

SonicSam is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2007, 06:17 AM   #18
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I wanna see Cranes in there. (I was at their first ever live performance, you know)
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2008, 07:12 AM   #19
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
I wonder if this film is ever going to happen. There's an official website, but all that does is provide a link to the maker's blog, which hasn't been updated since a post in November 2007 that says:

"It's been 3 years or so of working on Beautiful Noise. I'd like to thank you all for your kind comments via emails, blogs, websites over the past few months. The interest has been very exciting and we have been editing non-stop, prepping for a projected 2008 release. It has been quite an undertaking and has been very rewarding, we are digging up lots of cool photos, video footage and other surprises. The film is looking amazing so far. Watch this space for future posts on the documentary and more."

We're pretty close to the end of 2008 now, and I haven't seen any trailers for it at my local multiplex.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2008, 03:11 PM   #20
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Anyone have any updates whatsoever on this?

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth