Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.06.2016, 11:24 AM   #19481
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
no fútbol this weekend so i watched t1 & t2, plus this shit:

it's a terrible movie 40years after it came out but it's watchable mostly for camp value. the acting is awful, but it was very well shot for an indie before indies were big, so you get some nice landscape and helicopter shots of some forest

the way they tried to rip off jaws is good for many laughs (i mean just look at the center panel of the poster and compare)

the grizzly of course doesn't fully appear until 55 minutes in to the movie. sounds familiar?

also extra lols for taking you back to an america with zero brown people--1976! the bicentennial.

still without the ironic look it makes for acceptable mindless entertainment while trying not to get out of bed hangover on a weekend morning, or maybe coked up and unable to sleep at 5am (i imagine).

roger corman did this type of thing much better, but this was the highest grossing indie film the year it came out, so it's something.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2016, 01:23 PM   #19482
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Goodnight Mommie. It didn't get rave reviews, but I think it was pretty good, nice slow burn and really good acting by the twin brothers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kXpUaQpXMA
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2016, 04:33 PM   #19483
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Not a film but we binged the season 2 of Narcos. Good stuff!
Old 09.10.2016, 01:02 PM   #19484
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
i
wATCHED
fRANK..
and?
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2016, 01:04 PM   #19485
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Months and momnths and momths ago i
watched
the
danny dyer zombi film ekhhhh. it's not fukin called that.
and?
Old 09.10.2016, 01:13 PM   #19486
Diesel
the destroyed room

moths and moths and fluffers of prepubescent GOTH caterpillars ago i watched a film in my head where it was found through research that acting was full of repetition (like fucking ridiculous monotonous amounts) just like any wank meagre office or construction job and thus was found to be a trigger in any subconscious hatred of socializing arts. well paid jobs - and?
Old 09.10.2016, 01:58 PM   #19487
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Not a film but we binged the season 2 of Narcos. Good stuff!

I haven't even really thought about watching this. Not sure why. Maybe we'll give it a go based on your recommendation.

Lately we've been watching the BBC adaptation of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell on Netflix. In very small increments. Stretching it out.

It's an excellent adaptation of the book (which was one of those rare pop culture phenom bestsellers that actually earned its hype). I feel like they're speeding through the story a bit more than they need to, and puffing up the action and visuals a bit. Still pretty damn impressive.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2016, 02:02 PM   #19488
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

Wow. "Climax of terror." That's subtle.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2016, 02:20 PM   #19489
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Wow. "Climax of terror." That's subtle.
the funniest part for me was that in order to save money from showing actual gore and decapitation (effects cost money) they resorted to artsy soviet montage to "signify" the killings. so this was perhaps educational. and i keep wondering about the hidden meaning of the bear changing colors--sometimes his paws were black and sometimes they were brown. a college student could write a paper on that.

no matter, this weekend i have the real JAWS lined up to clean my eyes with good craft.
Old 09.11.2016, 02:54 PM   #19490
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

watched JAWS yesterday-- fucking masterpiece of american entertainment. EVERY FUCKING SHOT IS GREAT. EDITING IS SUPERB. JOHN WILLIAMS MUSIC IS GENIUS. after watching extras with spielberg interview realized that the man manipulates emotions like the king of psychopaths. his cast didn't hurt that enterprise one bit.

later caught a french biopic of RENOIR. the cinematography wa GORGEOUS and the girl at the center of it was beautiful, but the fucking music was excessive and overly intrustive, especially early in the movie-- plays like a cheap-shot documentary with a music bed. on top of that, no real discernible story-- more like-- this happens, this happens, this happens, more shit happens, the end. great period reconstruction though and the colors were amazing, so when renoir goes "la peau, la peau..." you DO get it.
Old 09.11.2016, 04:11 PM   #19491
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Southside with You, perfect date movie, esp if you and your sig other are lefties
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2016, 05:50 PM   #19492
vulva
the end of the ugly

vulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's asses
since moving to the US here's my recent in theaters watch list in reverse chronological order:
The Disappointments Room
Mechanic Resurrection
Don't Breathe
Disorder
Indignation
Kubo and the Two Strings
Neither Heaven Nor Earth
Hell or High Water
Suicide Squad
Bad Moms
Cafe Society
Ghostbusters
Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates
Tarzan
Swiss Army Man
The Purge Election Year
Warcraft
The Neon Demon
Les Cowboys
Independence Day Resurgence
The Shallows
The Conjuring 2
A Bigger Splash
Bang Gang

So that's about it that I've seen since mid June in theaters. Most were really bad!
Old 09.11.2016, 07:59 PM   #19493
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulva
since moving to the US here's my recent in theaters watch list in reverse chronological order:
The Disappointments Room
Mechanic Resurrection
Don't Breathe
Disorder
Indignation
Kubo and the Two Strings
Neither Heaven Nor Earth
Hell or High Water
Suicide Squad
Bad Moms
Cafe Society
Ghostbusters
Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates
Tarzan
Swiss Army Man
The Purge Election Year
Warcraft
The Neon Demon
Les Cowboys
Independence Day Resurgence
The Shallows
The Conjuring 2
A Bigger Splash
Bang Gang

So that's about it that I've seen since mid June in theaters. Most were really bad!

at the hypothetical rate of $20 per visit you already have enough for a new small 4K monitor

i'd go for a samsung 50" 4K UHD though, and some good bookshelf speakers, if you live alone. you're almost there.

you're not by chance another face of jico are you? i have a hard time keeping track of the many many names.
Old 09.11.2016, 09:23 PM   #19494
vulva
the end of the ugly

vulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's asses
As soon as I moved to the US I bought a subscription to moviepass. It's 50 (used to be 40) a month and you get entry to one movie in theaters a day. So after 3-4 movies a month the cost is already covered.

Just got back from seeing Complete Unknown. Really bad!
Old 09.11.2016, 09:28 PM   #19495
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
As soon as I moved to the US I bought a subscription to moviepass. It's 50 (used to be 40) a month and you get entry to one movie in theaters a day. So after 3-4 movies a month the cost is already covered.

Just got back from seeing Complete Unknown. Really bad!
wow, thats crazy. i'd only do that at e street cinema in dc though. great little place that specializes in NEW foreign and (big) indie films

https://www.landmarktheatres.com/was...-street-cinema

what city/ metro are you in?
Old 09.11.2016, 09:54 PM   #19496
vulva
the end of the ugly

https://www.moviepass.com/register/map?zip=20004
These are the eligible theaters near that one you mentioned.

I'm living in Los Angeles right now so it's also more expensive here. Looks like it's 45 a month over there and they offer other rates too. Interesting to see them experiment with the system.

2 movies/month is 18
3 is 28
unltd is 45

It's too bad landmark isn't part of that system.
Old 09.11.2016, 10:11 PM   #19497
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
https://www.moviepass.com/register/map?zip=20004
These are the eligible theaters near that one you mentioned.

I'm living in Los Angeles right now so it's also more expensive here. Looks like it's 45 a month over there and they offer other rates too. Interesting to see them experiment with the system.

2 movies/month is 18
3 is 28
unltd is 45

It's too bad landmark isn't part of that system.
oh hell, la has some legendary film venues & institutions. namely:

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/calendar

they'll do everything from hollywood classics to a silent guy maddin movie with a live orchestra

i havent spent much time in la really but the cinematheque + egyptian theatre are known everywhere, plus you're in the film capital of the world so if you dig a little you'll find infinite venues.

and yeah l.a. is expensive. that's how phoenix az got so big.

eta: i dont live in dc anymore! and i have t gone to a movie theatre in ages. it's all bluray and a flatscreen and an onkyo amp for me now,
Old 09.12.2016, 09:37 AM   #19498
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I haven't even really thought about watching this. Not sure why. Maybe we'll give it a go based on your recommendation.

Lately we've been watching the BBC adaptation of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell on Netflix. In very small increments. Stretching it out.

It's an excellent adaptation of the book (which was one of those rare pop culture phenom bestsellers that actually earned its hype). I feel like they're speeding through the story a bit more than they need to, and puffing up the action and visuals a bit. Still pretty damn impressive.

I stopped reading that book about 100 pages in. I found it boring and like a weak-sauce version of a Neil Gaiman or an Alan Moore novel. Tried watching the show on the netflix and my wife and I got bored bu the end of the first hour. Just not my cup of tea I guess...
Old 09.12.2016, 09:38 AM   #19499
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

watched this fucking nightmare of a shitshow late on Saturday night. The only decent bits are Nicolas Cage's reactions and adlibs....

SO BAD
Old 09.12.2016, 09:53 AM   #19500
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

@ robigator

i watched that jonathan strange show having never read the book. yes it seemed derivative, and definitely owed a lot to gaiman, but for my tastes it made for entertaining tv. and yes that included being frustrated with the characters--a sign that one is involved. what annoyed me was that-- it ended! i wanted it to go on. later i learned about the novel etc.

have you seen the original wicker man? it's creepy and great. perfect for halloween movie season. the original is such a british movie though, i mean, the whole pagan stuff, the idea of nic cage in a hollywood remake of it is laughable from the start. i recall it was a huge fiasco when it came out.
875925965972973974 975 97697797898510251075 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth