Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page THe NEXT SONIC YOUTH ALBUM
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.07.2007, 10:13 AM   #41
vacuum noise
bad moon rising

vacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
haha...sometimes i think noise is just becoming a parody of itself.

eh i dont know about that

i think sy is completely aware of being a parody of themselves and i think they are one of the most self conscious bands out there...

but noise being a parody of itself idk... maybepeople forget how it was first used when cage started using it as a valid source for music, just as valid as anything else. If u mean it like how "experimental" is used so loosely, i could see that

but lets jsut clarify something here noise is different from noise rock

i think thats soemthing that people forget

rather ripped i dont know how much id even consider that noise rock, it has some noisey elements, but nurse went farther with noise than rr and nurse was a way better album for SO many reasons...
vacuum noise is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.07.2007, 12:13 PM   #42
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
chance music. the whole album should contain songs of a tv flipping through the channels, breaking glass, turning knobs etc.
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.07.2007, 12:35 PM   #43
sarramkrop

Whatever they do, they should add different intruments into the their playing. One of the things that I think is suffocating their creativity on the official albums is very much the fact that the formula (or the constant questioning of that formula) sounds like it's biting its own tail way too often. It'd be interesting to also se them focusing on a 'Sonic Youth record', rather than scattering their ideas on different side projects.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.07.2007, 12:46 PM   #44
xxxjennyx
little trouble girl

xxxjennyx kicks all y'all's assesxxxjennyx kicks all y'all's assesxxxjennyx kicks all y'all's assesxxxjennyx kicks all y'all's assesxxxjennyx kicks all y'all's assesxxxjennyx kicks all y'all's assesxxxjennyx kicks all y'all's assesxxxjennyx kicks all y'all's assesxxxjennyx kicks all y'all's assesxxxjennyx kicks all y'all's assesxxxjennyx kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax Americana
LIVE IN THE NOW!

Or... just see the "Trees Outside the Academy" thread.

Also, I don't think you'll need to worry about a lack of Thurston vocals on any SY records.

BTW, Welcome!

I read the thread and now I'm tempted to go hunt it down on the internet then go buy it in every format when it comes out, of course. Holy shit! A new solo album! I'm so happy, sigh. That's why I'm here kids, to be in the know.

I guess what I was sayin is there could never be too much Thurston on one album ...

...and hey thanks for the welcome

- and sway, yeah I am 33.
xxxjennyx is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.07.2007, 10:09 PM   #45
vacuum noise
bad moon rising

vacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's asses
i mean think a thousand leaves with twice as many effects

i think it could be disastrously good!

Old 07.07.2007, 10:53 PM   #46
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
They should do an album of acoustic Wolf Eyes covers.
Old 07.08.2007, 12:28 AM   #47
vacuum noise
bad moon rising

haha thats pretty good
Old 07.08.2007, 02:42 AM   #48
Sykid87
little trouble girl

Sykid87 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Has there been any word of when their next album is due out?
I know that Thurston's sophmore solo album is due out september 2007.
Old 07.08.2007, 11:03 AM   #49
clever name
bad moon rising

clever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's assesclever name kicks all y'all's asses
Prepare to think that this is an awfully stupid idea:

Sonic Youth should do an entire album full of guest vocals by alterna-legends.
Patti Smith, Iggy Pop, but also some people like Yoko Ono and Alan Vega. SY playing back-up for the greats.

Tell me, honestly, that this would not be the greatest thing ever!
clever name is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2007, 06:22 PM   #50
vacuum noise
bad moon rising

turn to wiki always

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise
Old 07.08.2007, 08:09 PM   #51
el duderino
bad moon rising

el duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's assesel duderino kicks all y'all's asses
They need more satan.
el duderino is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2007, 08:33 PM   #52
vacuum noise
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
yeah, i was more so referencing how loosely terms like "experimental" and "noise" are so easily thrown around.

and yr little clarification doesnt really make much sense to me. i mean, i know wht yr trying to say, but i highly dissagree. like any decent art, ya cant really define "noise". its all relative to the listener. some people hear wolf eyes and think "noise", i just hear em and hear a thrashy-harsh industrial act.

fuck, when elvis first started coming around some even reffered to him as "noise", seeing now musical value in what he was doing what so ever.

define noise? seriously....

i agree with that

i wasnt aware u wanted my definition of noise, i just gave a link to many definitions of noise...

so obviosuly we must be on the same level of understanding the dilemmas of perceptions
Old 07.08.2007, 08:38 PM   #53
vacuum noise
bad moon rising

but for me noise is straight noise, a loose rhythem can start to appear but is usualy very arbitrary... like my black gloves, or masonna, or merzbow

noise rock i think more of bands utilizing noise aspects, like sonic youth, even poppy stuff like deerhoof

of course ones perception of what those "noise aspects" may differ... mayb distorting a guitar to the point of where it is loosing all discernable notes... try an octave fuzz pedal or an electro harmonix micro synth, put the octave all the way up with all the other "voices" down and hit all 6 strings and u get something that id consider noise.
Old 07.08.2007, 10:52 PM   #54
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetengine
Yeah, I must say, I'm with you to a large degree on this one, Everyneurotic. Starbucks is a bit much--increasingly so. As far as coffee shops go, this is the chain that took the 'beat' out of beatnik, and replaced it with 'cheat' or 'defeat'.

i must say that this is a lame excuse to not buy their music...

so they are doing doing an album collab w/ starbucks?
until it detrementally (sp? sorry) affects their musical intentions does it really matter? they obviously look at things a different perspective, which is what i respect about them.
and anyways, what have you done lately to make yourself so much better of a person to be opposed to corporation like starbucks?
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2007, 10:58 PM   #55
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Whatever they do, they should add different intruments into the their playing. One of the things that I think is suffocating their creativity on the official albums is very much the fact that the formula (or the constant questioning of that formula) sounds like it's biting its own tail way too often. It'd be interesting to also se them focusing on a 'Sonic Youth record', rather than scattering their ideas on different side projects.

i see your point but its seems that the band is in the exact opposite direction as to what you are stating... personally nowadays i find the various side-projects far more pleasing and interesting than the commercial SY album... so i couldn't really disagree more.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2007, 11:55 PM   #56
vacuum noise
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
i must say that this is a lame excuse to not buy their music...

so they are doing doing an album collab w/ starbucks?
until it detrementally (sp? sorry) affects their musical intentions does it really matter? they obviously look at things a different perspective, which is what i respect about them.
and anyways, what have you done lately to make yourself so much better of a person to be opposed to corporation like starbucks?

i totaly agree

i think sy doing this starbucks thing is hilarious!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth