Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Recording/ compression/ audio geekery thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.27.2011, 07:02 PM   #1
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Just to keep it out of the SYG compilation thread, I'm moving it over here.

So. It's been a number of years. We all deal with mp3s now, even those of us who still prefer an actual CD/ Vinyl; some of us even deal with tapes.

Mastering, encoding, recording techniques [etc] - let's have your thoughts. Can you hear the difference? Does it really matter if you're recording some no-fi band? Does the style of music make a difference? Shit in/ shit out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2011, 12:26 AM   #2
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Good one Glice. I started one of these threads many years ago. Would be good if the mods could make this one a sticky as any people ask for help quite regularly on this board, so it would be good if we could keep it as one regular thread.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2011, 12:34 AM   #3
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
What I meant is how you can be sure the file they "get" is the same one you "send" (you=not just you, but anyone who may be afraid of potential corruption/glitches/wathever in a digital file).
As far as I know, the only way to find out for sure is a bit for bit (bit per bit sounded a bit too "latin" , dunno if it's the correct terminology..) comparison...
See where I'm headed?

bit for bit comparison = proof that 2 files are identical=you know your file is the same the client got

wav vs flac (encoded from that wav + decoded back to wav) bit comparison = proof that flac is actually lossless, in every aspect (again, forgive my lame lexicon tonight)

This does not mean you can't hear differences etc (see "bottom line" in my previous post, I need some sleep now...).

A lot of the times when recording gigs, I advise the client to supply me with a hard drive which I can slot into the hard disk recorders we use and the we check the recordings before sending the drive.

On the occasion when I do recordings for clients interstate and the want to be sent the copies electronically we do all of the regular checks and then email the file and post a CD. The CDs we can easily check and if the emailed file is corrupted then we re-bounce and resend. This does not happen a lot though only for clients usually that give very little notice and one of the many bosses I contract for says yes to a last minute gig.

In the end, if their ears don't pick up on anything we don't hear back.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth