Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page What do you think is lacking from today's music?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.14.2009, 08:18 PM   #141
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
why dont we just make a seperate thread for everyone who wants to post "Dont be so pretnesus its just rock n roll fun rock out sonic lyfe!!!!!!!!!!!!!111"

and no wellcharge, you don't find it "hilariously contradictory that anything using pre existing ideas is somehow shit" that's just a failed attempt to pretend you know what yr talking about. noone made that claim because its impossible.

in response to yr instructions that "if you don't like something just say it sucks, don't predict what people will think of it in the future, predict it's frequent thrift store appearances, or daydream about melting all known copies, making fun of it on sy gossip is enough." i'll have to say no, and that i'll discuss music in whatever way i want and simply saying it sucks may be enough for you but it's not enough for most of us who actually enjoy hearing other people's opposing and conflicting viewpoints.

there's a fine line between having a valid disagreement with something and angry anti intellectualism, how surprising that certain people here lapse into the latter when anyone dares critique sonic youth.

by the way, most of the time when someone on this board uses the word pretentious they mean "i don't understand that and thus i don't like it and am trying to look as if i am somehow qualified to dismiss it."

try a bit harder next time.

nobody here cares when people critique sonic youth, people complain about which sy albums they hate all the time, but there are alot ways of looking at music that are insulting to the art, and i think this whiny whiteboy art school shit that dominates the thread is embarassing to music fans

but please continue to take the opposing viewpoints that you apparently enjoy hearing personally. i don't need to try anything harder, i'm happy listening to passionate ghetto music which is made every second of everyday around the world. i don't need to use music as a way to show off my mental superiority , no wonder you think things are "missing from today's music".do you want all music to appeal to yr enlightened tastes? i'm satisfied with todays music because there's more quality shit coming out than ever and i can't get enough, people who think something is missing today that was once around must be avoiding music they would like on purpose
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2009, 08:31 PM   #142
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
nobody here cares when people critique sonic youth, people complain about which sy albums they hate all the time, but there are alot ways of looking at music that are insulting to the art, and i think this whiny whiteboy art school shit that dominates the thread is embarassing to music fans

but please continue to take the opposing viewpoints that you apparently enjoy hearing personally. i don't need to try anything harder, i'm happy listening to passionate ghetto music which is made every second of everyday around the world. i don't need to use music as a way to show off my mental superiority , no wonder you think things are "missing from today's music".do you want all music to appeal to yr enlightened tastes? i'm satisfied with todays music because there's more quality shit coming out than ever and i can't get enough, people who think something is missing today that was once around must be avoiding music they would like on purpose

actually some people here take hissy fits when someone criticises sonic youth. whiny whiteboy art school shit? yeah it's embarassing to real fans like yu who listen to passionate ghetto music. haha

so i guess us "whiny whiteboy art school"ers should shut up because we wouldn't want our opinions to embarrass the united front that real passionate music fans such yr self want to put up for the board.

and don't worry, there's little chance you ever will be able to use music to "show off yr mental superiority".

and no, i don't want "all music" to appeal to my "enlightened" tastes. i don't usually like music that is made for the purpose of appealing to my tastes or anyones taste but the artist.

the only thing worthwhile thing you've said so far is yr idea that some people are avoiding new music they would actually like on purpose because they think there was something music used to have which it doesn't anymore. i think holding onto an idealised and mostly imaginary nostalgia for a past that barely was can actually be a strong motivation for creative drive.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2009, 08:35 PM   #143
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
anyway, i am interested to hear a list of what bands/music you are referring to as ghetto.
Old 05.14.2009, 08:44 PM   #144
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

the only thing worthwhile thing you've said so far is yr idea that some people are avoiding new music they would actually like on purpose because they think there was something music used to have which it doesn't anymore. i think holding onto an idealised and mostly imaginary nostalgia for a past that barely was can actually be a strong motivation for creative drive.

if i take that part back can i get another sarcastic rant? i want to continue sitting in awe at the vast intellect western male,please continue pointing out the shortcomings of my savage mind almighty master

i don't want any "united front" for the board,i don't care about pushing my will on others, you're the one who wants to be right about everything almighty master. i don't care about that,i just think you're full of shit and want to point out to that you may enjoy the current musical world more if you're open to musical ideas that don't strive only to remind you of yr own brilliance and advance tastes
Old 05.14.2009, 08:52 PM   #145
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
anyway, i am interested to hear a list of what bands/music you are referring to as ghetto.

alot of music i think falls into that category really,definitely blues and early jazz would. as of late i've been impressed by some older forro stuff from N.E. brazil but i've mostly been more into african/ S.E. european and carribean styles in the past.

i think i would mostly say that i prefer musical advancement to come from a unique person's expression, as opposed to the idea of conciously striving to do something new and progressive. that way of going about music seems egotistical to me and i find it unstimulating in general although i'm not above wanking myself
Old 05.14.2009, 08:53 PM   #146
ni'k
invito al cielo

anyway i edited out the cos pointless and boring bickering.

someone should form a noise band called vast intellect western male tho.
Old 05.14.2009, 08:56 PM   #147
ni'k
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
alot of music i think falls into that category really,definitely blues and early jazz would. as of late i've been impressed by some older forro stuff from N.E. brazil but i've mostly been more into african/ S.E. european and carribean styles in the past.

i think i would mostly say that i prefer musical advancement to come from a unique person's expression, as opposed to the idea of conciously striving to do something new and progressive. that way of going about music seems egotistical to me and i find it unstimulating in general although i'm not above wanking myself

how does the older carribean stuff relate to the current tropical noise/drone stuff? is there any connection? i'd be interested in hearing that. i'm gonna go look up forro aswell.
Old 05.14.2009, 08:56 PM   #148
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

i'd be willing to start that band, but can i put in the "of the" part that i forgot? or maybe it's more noiselike with the error

anyways i can't prove you wrong because you aren't
Old 05.14.2009, 08:58 PM   #149
ni'k
invito al cielo

its far better without the "of the"
Old 05.14.2009, 09:03 PM   #150
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
If you include 'of the' it sounds like a King Crimson album. Without 'of the' it sounds like a Fall album.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2009, 09:08 PM   #151
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
how does the older carribean stuff relate to the current tropical noise/drone stuff? is there any connection? i'd be interested in hearing that. i'm gonna go look up forro aswell.

does sun araw count as tropical drone? i bring him up because it's the only droney thing i've heard that struck me as tropical, if that's the kind of thing you're referring to i think it sounds more like hawaiian and pop exotica type stuff than anything from the carribean

i've heard abe vigoda called tropical, and sometimes their guitar tone reminds me of the instrument mbira, and they said they were influenced by the "hallelujah chicken run band" from zimbabwe who kind of have that sort of trebly airy vibe you can hear in sun araw and abe vigoda, and their singer thomas mapfumo went solo and you might like him when in the mood for heavier material that still maintains a trebly upbeat sound most of the time

i hope that's the kind sound you were talking about.

the older carribean styles like calypso and mento are pretty much as far from drone as you can get since they're based mostly on a repetitive rhythm with the focus on the lyrics(much like hiphop)
Old 05.14.2009, 09:32 PM   #152
ni'k
invito al cielo

yeah sun araw and ducktails are the kind of stuff i mean.

thanks for that man, very interesting. gonna investigate some of that tonight.
Old 05.14.2009, 10:18 PM   #153
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

today's music is lacking accordions, some bands have one, but what happened to lead and rhythm accordion? playing rhythm with the left hand and soloing with the right has a similar effect but it's not quite the same, and there's not enough groups where a chromatic button player and a piano accordion go head to head.
Old 05.15.2009, 09:20 AM   #154
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think there is enough guys with long beards.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2009, 09:57 AM   #155
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Is it wrong that I think SUNN((O)) are the avant-garde rock equivalent of enya? background music to do dishes to or fasll asleep to?

damn!

That's what I think whe I listen to SUNN((o)) records!!! I can handle ten minutes of drone befor ea SONG or in a SONG or as part opf a SONG structure, but a double LP of what sounds like my stere receiver turned up to 11 and the WEQ maxed out with maxed out gain, and nothing else? Oh robes, that is right. they have robes.

The melvins did the same damn thing but they understood dynamics and tension and that to fully appreciate quiet you must have loud next to it to comoparema dn to fully appreciate slow drones, you must have raucous riffs to complement them.

mid morn rant
Old 05.15.2009, 10:04 AM   #156
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
No, I have exactly the same reaction to Sunn O))). After a few minutes they just wash over me in a quite ambient fashion. Saying that, I've never seen them live and a few people tell me they make a lot more sense in that context than they do through hi-fi speakers. I can't say that I'm too enthusiastic to find out though.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2009, 10:20 AM   #157
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Is it wrong that I think SUNN((O)) are the avant-garde rock equivalent of enya?
ha ha yes.
Old 05.15.2009, 10:34 AM   #158
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
THIS

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2009, 01:19 PM   #159
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I bet DIO could come up with appropriately ghoulish and macabre magick lyrics to sing while Tony Iommi plays Toccatta and Fugue in D on that massive pipe organ!
Old 05.15.2009, 01:32 PM   #160
lechaoscestmoi
the destroyed room

lechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asses
The Eternal.

o wait
lechaoscestmoi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth