Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Can you reccomend any bands that are doing interesting things with visuals?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.03.2010, 07:25 PM   #1
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I don't mean just a few projections on stage. More like bands that use performing elements (i.e. dancers in costumes, and no mimes) without coming accross as tacky or the blue men. A bit like what The Fall did with Clark. Something that good. Thanks.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2010, 07:35 PM   #2
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
I was impressed by SY's show--especially compared to the two previous ones. I liked how the backdrop paintings changed with the lighting. I liked those 5x5 lights on stage.

But, please, allow me to reminisce. The year, 1980(?), the band Genesis--yeah, I know well past their prime but I didn't realize that yet. But the lighting, OMG, the lighting. First half of the show, fairly conventional except that the lights changed color fast--no rise time/no decay just on-off with different colors. Then, the lights were on the audience--thought, Hmm, didn't see any pointed at the audience--as they swung towards the stage! The birth of Varilights was a wonder to behold. Hard to believe they are so ubiquitous now.

Siouxsie had a fantastic show for Peepshow. Peter Gabriel's were generally pretty darn good. I don't think anybody could match The Tubes for a stage show.
Old 01.03.2010, 07:43 PM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
CAROLINER

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2010, 08:03 PM   #4
hat and bread
children of satan

hat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asses
Shibusashirazu.
There's a good chance this qualifies as tacky, but I like it anyways.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT4ZK...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_l8R...eature=related
hat and bread is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2010, 08:34 PM   #5
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
I know you know, but for those that don't, I'm going to take this opportunity to blow hype:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deadair/sets/1409930/

of course at times we look more ridiculous than the Blue Men, but still I hope it's a fair answer to your question.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 12:51 AM   #6
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Puppetmastaz
but I think they're not around anymore
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 05:32 AM   #7
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Squarepusher used LED walls with simple 8 bit motion graphics on his last tour.
Very refreshing and funky, compared to most of the video projections out there.
Old 01.04.2010, 05:37 AM   #8
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I don't mean just a few projections on stage. More like bands that use performing elements (i.e. dancers in costumes, and no mimes) without coming accross as tacky or the blue men. A bit like what The Fall did with Clark. Something that good. Thanks.

Nobody does it better than the Residents really...

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 05:39 AM   #9
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
Does extreme use of strobes count to? You can include my bloody valentine and a place to burry strangers then.

The spores mabye with their half puppetshow but they split. And of course kraftwerk.
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 08:10 PM   #10
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Bez?

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 08:39 PM   #11
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I was going to reply to this last night.

I tried, a while ago, to find some dancers for an 'improv project'. The problem I found is that dancers, like most musicians, often don't 'gel' with the idea of improv. I'm sure there are dancers out there who get it, but even dancers who are aware of butoh or contact improv seem to baulk at the idea of getting involved with 'improv' music.

So, basically, to answer the earlier question, I think you'd be better off asking this question on a dance forum, because the (frankly shit) bands Caroliner or Residents are probably the best answers you're getting from this forum (although I'm going to check out Shibusashirazu who I'm not aware of).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 08:43 PM   #12
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Having checked out Shibusashirazu, they seem to be very similar (in some ways) to Basement Jaxx, who have one of the best live shows going (regardless of the fact their music is a bit meh).

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 01.06.2010, 08:47 PM   #13
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Butthole Surfers?

Maybe not so much now though.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 08:57 PM   #14
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Butthole Surfers?

Maybe not so much now though.
fuck yeah! That's one of the bands I had in mind when I started this thread. Anyway, I wasn't hoping for much but thank you for you all for your suggestions. I sure say but a lot on this forum.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 10:38 PM   #15
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
CAROLINER

This. I have yet to go to a show, but even just watching their gluetube videos is fantastic. Seems like something that you can walk in sober and it hits you like an acid trip.

I haven't gone to any bands that really put on a strong visual performance. I saw Neon Hunk (paperrad) and their projection videos were great, very similar to the ones on their website and the 13 Monsters Lightning Bolt video. Animal collective had dancers in interesting costumes and pretty neat light-emanating poles when I saw them.
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 11:50 PM   #16
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Skinny Puppy used to put on highly elaborate live shows.

IE: dissecting fake dogs, guts pulled out and eaten, evil-trees and demon-masks on painter's stilts.

a personal favorite of mine is the virtual-reality helmet with corresponding hell-trip backing video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GnMC...eature=related

they've grown pretty tame these days though. they used to be so good at it.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2010, 04:02 AM   #17
hat and bread
children of satan

hat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I was going to reply to this last night.

I tried, a while ago, to find some dancers for an 'improv project'. The problem I found is that dancers, like most musicians, often don't 'gel' with the idea of improv. I'm sure there are dancers out there who get it, but even dancers who are aware of butoh or contact improv seem to baulk at the idea of getting involved with 'improv' music.

So, basically, to answer the earlier question, I think you'd be better off asking this question on a dance forum, because the (frankly shit) bands Caroliner or Residents are probably the best answers you're getting from this forum (although I'm going to check out Shibusashirazu who I'm not aware of).

Shibusa are a pretty incredible thing to witness live, especially in smaller venues. I definitely recommend seeing them if you get the chance.

Someone who I think is good at mixing dance and Improv (with a capital I) is Chie Mukai of Che Shizu fame. I did a thing with her last week that involved about 30 butoh dancers and 10 musicians, which surprisingly ended up being pretty successful. Ms. Mukai is a dancer herself and I think the success of the event was largely a result of her monthly improv ( with a lowercase i) workshops. Hopefully someone will post it on Youtube soon.
Here is the same event several years ago sans me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SP8LC5rkoM
hat and bread is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2010, 06:30 AM   #18
Glice
invito al cielo

This is brilliant. I wish I was involved. Sadface.

Quote:
Old 01.07.2010, 06:37 AM   #19
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Apparently Nosaj Thing does a neat visual show now. It looks interesting - I've barely seen anything of it though so I can't say if it's great or shit.

Quote:
A few months ago, I spent a pretty considerable swath of time with Jason Chung, the young producer and mainstay of the Low End Theory club night in Lincoln Heights who performs as Nosaj Thing. When it comes to L.E.T.'s live sets, Flying Lotus might be the virtuoso and Gaslamp Killer is the unhinged showboat, but Nosaj is the quiet, serious one -- the scene's George Harrison, if you will. Chung always looks as though he's having an argument with his laptop rig onstage, poking and wrangling and retreating like the thing is a downed power line.
Chung's live set is about to get a whole lot more involved. This Sunday he's staging a synapse-rupturing video show in Los Angeles that looks to absolutely remake his entire live performance experience. Designed by his girlfriend, Julia Tsao, and collaborator Adam Guzman, it uses dramatic contrasts in lights and shapes to manipulate depth perception and seemingly remake the room around Chung.
"We were really inspired by Cornelius and Daft Punk," Chung said. "With so many electronic artists and DJs, there are often visuals, but they feel irrelevant to the music. We wanted more of a total experience."

The set -- which Chung officially debuted this year at the Pop Montreal festival -- begins as a pointedly abstract, black-and white series of flashes and geometric figures that establish a mood and pace. As the set progresses, the visuals eventually open into more colorful and depth-distorting fields. The visual elements are actually performed live by Guzman and Tsao, as opposed to being triggered by Chung's music.
"We really wanted to play with perception and disorient the audience," Guzman said. "Towards the end, it gets really hard to tell where Jason is onstage."
Given the difficulties of making electronica look interesting -- a problem many Low End artists are already cracking -- Nosaj's new set looks to be a huge step forward in that regard. And for Guzman and Tsao -- both Art Center vets -- this set hopefully will be the start of two long careers in making boundary-breaking music feel even more otherworldly.

EDIT: it looks cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inVJv...eature=related
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth