Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page 2 Week '00s Retrospective on What's This Called?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.02.2010, 01:59 AM   #1
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
What's This Called? for Saturday, January 2nd, 2009 with your host Ricardo Wang from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time (that's 9-10 PM in Amsterdam!) on KPSU...

The first of a two part retrospective look back at some great recordings from the past decade. There is no way to expect it would be at all possible to be anywhere near comprehensive in two short one hour programs, and I don't begin to claim I have any idea what "best" means. However, I am going to at least attempt to look at some trends and in sounds and content in the many worlds of experimental and eclectic music in the past ten years. Expect a What's This Called? mix of both experimental artists from the national arena and more obscure micro-indie and home recorded level musicians.

STREAMING AUDIO FLASHBACKS HERE!

Or in PDX, on radios like they used in the 20th Century...

1450 AM in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA metro area
98.1 FM on the Portland State University campus

On tap for the next two weeks: Unwound, Suicide, Sonic Youth, Autechre, Legendary Pink Dots, Jandek, Melvins, Argumentix, Volcano the Bear, Eet, MIA, Merzbow & Carlos Giffoni, Nurse With Wound, Noggin, Mangled Bohemians, Aritomo, Zoe Keating, Nadja, Xedh, Gowns, Expo 70, Edward Ka-spel, Jackie-O-Motherfucker, Bogville, Anakrid, Childhood Friends, Cyoakha Grace O' Manion, Animal Collective, Tortoise, Mattress, L.A. Lungs, UW Hypotheekadvies, George & Caplin, New Red Sun, Green Milk from the Planet Orange, Orbit Service, Ghost to Falco, Andrew Liles, Soriah, and More (or less...)!

Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2010, 02:17 AM   #2
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
fuck this shitty tiny font

ok so what is happening? looks interesting but im to fucked up to read these tiny letters

HALP

ok i better go crash. it's time. it's almost time.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2010, 03:00 PM   #3
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Behold the Fucking Salt
Old 01.03.2010, 08:03 AM   #4
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
thanks for the link, really enjoying your radio shows, great selection of music and songs, most of which I've never even heard before, always a good thing. Pass me more of the salt please.
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2010, 02:44 PM   #5
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Playlist for What's This Called? with your host Ricardo Wang for Saturday, January 2nd, 2010, from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time on KPSU.

This Week was Part One of the '00s Retrospective. To be continued Next Week and perhaps even one more show after that!

DOWNLOAD PROGRAM as MP3s or PLAY STREAM HERE!

Artist - Song/Track - Album - Recording Label

Unwound - "Behold the Salt" - Leaves Turn Inside You - Kill Rock Stars

Childhood Friends - "Werewolf Song" - Key Party - Indie
Sonic Youth - "I Love You Golden Blue" - Sonic Nurse - DGC
Legendary Pink Dots - "Personal Monster" - Poppy Variations - Beta-lactam Ring Records
Edward Ka-Spel - "Harvester" - Dream Logick Part One - Beta-lactam Ring Records
Suicide - "Child It's a New World" - American Supreme - Blast First
Noggin - "A Love Song" - Hajex from the Light - indie
Expo 70 - "Analog Dreamscape" - Sonic Messenger - Beta-lactam Ring Records
Jandek - "Part Six" - Glasgow Monday - Corwood Industries

oh, and just so that you heard it here first, I have it on 90% good authority that Unwound are reuniting. I don't know if Brandt or Sara will be drumming though. I suspect Brandt since he lives in Oly, but then Portland is still sort of a suburb of Oly too.
Old 01.09.2010, 02:43 AM   #6
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

What's This Called? for Saturday, January 9th, 2009 with your host Ricardo Wang from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time (that's 9-10 PM in Amsterdam!) on KPSU...

Once More Into the Ooze...

The Second of a Two (or maybe Three?) part retrospective look back at some great recordings from the past decade. Like last week (and next?) this is arbitrary as all hell. No way it would be at all possible to be anywhere near comprehensive in two (three?) short one hour programs, and I still don't begin to claim I have any idea what "best" means. However, I am going to continue to attempt looking at some trends and in sounds and content in the many worlds of experimental and eclectic music in the past ten years. Expect a What's This Called? mix of both experimental artists from the national arena and more obscure micro-indie and home recorded level musicians.

STREAMING AUDIO FLASHBACKS HERE!

Or in PDX, on radios like they used in the 20th Century.

On Tap for this segment (because I didn't get to them last week): Melvins, Zoe Keating, Autechre, Argumentix, Volcano the Bear, Mangled Bohemians, MIA, Merzbow & Carlos Giffoni, Gowns, Tortoise, Animal Collective, Mattress, George & Caplin, New Red Sun, Jackie-O-*+%%+#+*+*%%, Andrew Liles, and More (and yes more means I may have to seriously consider that third week...)

Old 01.09.2010, 03:03 PM   #7
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

STREAMING NOW
Old 01.10.2010, 01:56 AM   #8
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Playlist for What's This Called? with your host Ricardo Wang for Saturday, January 2nd, 2010, from Noon to 1 PM Pacific Time on KPSU.

This Week was Part Two of the '00s Retrospective. To be continued on Saturday, January 23rd as we wrap up with Pt. 3!

DOWNLOAD PROGRAM as MP3s or PLAY STREAM HERE!

Artist - Song/Track - Album - Recording Label

Melvins/Lustmord - "Toadi Accelerato" - Pigs of the Roman Empire - Ipecac

Mangled Bohemians - "Mercury" - Degeneration - Aphonia
L.A. Lungs - "When held by Water" - I've Called You Sexy Woman on a Tuesday Night Before - indie
Gowns - "Sugar" - Gowns - Folktale Records
Zoe Keating - "Frozen Angels" - One Cello x 16: Natoma - indie
Argumentix - "My New Clit Is Your Tongue" - Boss of Goth - Below PDX
George & Caplin - "Roaming" - Things Past - Beta-lactam Ring Records
Eet - "Old Man River Dolphin" - Spookfish - indie
Andrew Liles - "The Dying Submariner (edit)" - The Dying Submariner - Beta-lactam Ring Records

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth