Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Comusesque
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.27.2006, 09:45 PM   #1
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
First Utterance has been my favorite album as of late. Comus have, to me, a completely unique sound. There must be other's like them. Or others in a similar vein who are just as good. One of you must know who these others are.
Recommendations?
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2006, 10:23 PM   #2
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Current 93 for sure.

Earth Covers Earth
Thunder Perfect Mind

Both completely essential, but they have done a lot of stuff in that vein.

The LP "Rats And Mice In The Loft" by Jan Dukes DeGrey is also a masterpiece of damaged-psyche frantic darkness and prog-folk excess. Really really great; almost taps the drama of Comus, and has really incredible musicianship.

Fresh Maggots are definitely a group to check out.

I recorded one song with a specific Comus slant/influence; I could hook you up with that...

Some more will spring to mind soon.
Comus is a huge favorite with me.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2006, 10:24 PM   #3
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
You can trust Savage Clone on this.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.28.2006, 06:33 AM   #4
sun city girl
the end of the ugly

sun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's asses
i've never heard anything like comus. but if you want something completely different but still something as good then try the wicker man soundtrack.
sun city girl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.28.2006, 05:22 PM   #5
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Current 93 for sure.

Earth Covers Earth
Thunder Perfect Mind

Both completely essential, but they have done a lot of stuff in that vein.

The LP "Rats And Mice In The Loft" by Jan Dukes DeGrey is also a masterpiece of damaged-psyche frantic darkness and prog-folk excess. Really really great; almost taps the drama of Comus, and has really incredible musicianship.

Fresh Maggots are definitely a group to check out.

I recorded one song with a specific Comus slant/influence; I could hook you up with that...

Some more will spring to mind soon.
Comus is a huge favorite with me.

I've heard a song off of Black Ships Ate the Sky and I did enjoy it, though it was rather subdued if compared to some of Comus's work. I'll check out the albums you recommended though.
Also Jan Dukes de Grey and Fresh Maggots. It's sad that bands like these saw so little light (then again that adds to their mysteriousness) and were limited to so little album opportunities - except Current 93 whose discography is daunting.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.28.2006, 06:14 PM   #6
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
first utterance is one of my favs right now, too.
pure brilliance.
in terms of intensity the only thing that could reach it for me is
carmagnon.

hey savage clone,
thanks for mentioning current 93 in the comus-thread i started awhile ago,
i really dig them.
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.28.2006, 06:55 PM   #7
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Also there is a relatively new quartet (last few years) called Eyes and Arms of Smoke who have a somewhat similar sound to Comus... the members consist of Robert, Trevor (of Hair Police) and Sara and Ellen their significant others (girlfriends???)...

you are probably thinking, members of Hair Police sounding like Comus?.... ok they sound nothing like Hair Police, they utilize things like hand-percussion/vocal hymnal in the classic ISB/Manson Family Jams style, and a wild ESP label-esque snakecharmer with gobbles of reeds, drums and electricity exploding in clusters of flesh that slowly bleeds into a weird hypno tone poem. They have a great occult/outside edge that will surely do it for fans of free ritualistics like Comus, whom they've been compared to.

btw, Savage Clones recommendations are right on...
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth