Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page How do you get acquainted with Sonic Youth?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.06.2006, 12:32 PM   #1
Grete
the destroyed room

Grete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks to my uncle Alex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

SONIC YOUTH ITALIA
Grete is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 12:52 PM   #2
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Whereas I can tell you the exact date that I got into The Fall, I think it was a gradual thing with SY.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure the first thing I heard was 'Starpower', in Probe Records in Liverpool. I liked hearing a woman sing on that type of music.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 12:55 PM   #3
Grete
the destroyed room

Grete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's asses
the first thing I heard was Confusion is sex , and exactly I WANNA BE YR DOG...I love that song!!;-)

SONIC YOUTH ITALIA
Old 04.06.2006, 01:02 PM   #4
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Right. I really liked Starpower, but I was a kid (15 when Evol came out) with not so much money, so the love of SY built up gradually. But the next LP, 'Sister', was a big factor.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 01:08 PM   #5
Soundtrax
bad moon rising

Soundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's asses
in like 1993 a friend gave my a tape of dirty, and it sounded like nothing i ever heard of, so i started digging into sonic youth
Old 04.06.2006, 01:45 PM   #6
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
I saw Ed templeton's part in a skate movie and he used the song Mote (which is also the first sy song i've ever heard) so i started to check them out, to be honest i thought they sucked balls in the beginning but after a while i started to realize that this was one of the greatest bands in rock-history
Old 04.06.2006, 02:07 PM   #7
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Satan said to me "Hey man, check this out." Thanks Satan!
Old 04.06.2006, 02:10 PM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
Whereas I can tell you the exact date that I got into The Fall...

Go on then, I'm interested. When and where? For me it was when Peel played Inch, I'd heard so much about them but not really registered if I'd heard them before, and then it was like... fuck me. They sound like that? And then, as a lowly 14 yr old, I bought Levitate.

For SY the moment I got them was when Peel did Meltdown on the radio... I didn't really get the set until the solo on Karen Koltraine which was just... fuck me. Guitars do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 02:27 PM   #9
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I saw a review in People magazine of all places for Daydream Nation. The picture of the band intrigued me. I was around 14 years old and deeply in love with Megadeth and Jane's Addiction and Minor Threat and the Misfits and the early chili peppers and Jimi Hendrix.
I thought, "these 4 people look like regular dudes!" and the sounds described in the review were just something I HAD to listen to.
Before I managed to buy the album though, I was watching 120 minutes and taping videos (as I did with my VHS for about 6 years) and I saw the teenage riot video and recorded it. I CAME IN MY PANTS> I recognizzed the name, "sonic youth" from the review, and the song rocked harder than anything I had ever heard, anything, and it was NOISY and loud and abrasive and h sang NOT noisy and abrasive,a nd the video looked like NOTHING on MTV, a schizo pastiche of idols and heroes, many of which I could not recognize until years later. I GOT ROCK HARD. My nuts were begging to burst forth a musicl cum of such intensity.
I went and bought daydream nation on the Blast First cassette, anyone remember those? thuirston mentioned once how th Blast First cassettes smelled, they smelled like motor oil or some sort of engine cleaner. I distinctly remember that smell, never ever lessening, and so I associate that industrial smell with the noise on daydream nation. It was also the LONGEST record I owned at the time. I would listen to it like a christian listening to jeebus.
nothing was the same after that
Old 04.06.2006, 06:00 PM   #10
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
There's this druggie site that my brother showed me http://www.paperrad.org and in one of the animated cartoons, it displays SONIC YOUTH for about 6 seconds in middle of the cartoon and it's irrelevant, but I thought they had a cool name and I bought DIRTY and grew on it.
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 08:36 PM   #11
RIPfrey05
the end of the ugly

RIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard sucka
My dad had the album dirty and played it constantly in the early 90s
http://www.myspace.com/thefloridaorangebirds
MY FUCKING BAND
RIPfrey05 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 09:43 PM   #12
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
I heard Sonic Youth on the freeform radio station from UC Davis which I was hooked on early. This radio station converted me from a breakdance-obsessed kid into a listener with eclectic tastes.

First time I dialed it in, they were playing a Kraftwerk song that I recognized from the "Breakin': Electric Boogaloo" soundtrack, and then the DJ mixed into some gloomy/doomy British postpunk, and eventually threw on some stuff by The Fall and Wire. I wrote these names down on an index card and intended to buy their stuff at the mall. Back then, I thought that every record and cassette ever made was for sale at either the Wherehouse or Musicland/Sam Goody....little did I know I had slipped into the portal to obscurity.

I was listening for a few years before a Sonic Youth song had struck me to the point that I wrote the name down and began hunting for it. I was about 12 or 13, and the song was "Tom Violence." By then, I had discovered Barney's Records in Davis, and they carried more independently released stuff that I was hearing on the radio.

I got "Evol" on cassette and wore it out, and replaced it with the LP a few years later. None of my other friends liked them despite my incessant urging for them to listen....not until "Daydream Nation" hit.
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 04:22 AM   #13
Katy
the destroyed room

Katy kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's asses
I can't really remember, but I was a proper little riot grrl when I was younger. I loved Hole. I probably bought my first SY record because of Courtney Love.
Katy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 07:31 AM   #14
Grete
the destroyed room

Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian

ahahahahah

SONIC YOUTH ITALIA
Old 04.07.2006, 09:10 AM   #15
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

with grate, yes, hahaha indeed.

I made a mix cd of SY songs becuz I was going to see them in a couple of weeks and wanted to hear some more stuff than sunday and kill yr idols... that got me started, then the live show made me go buy DDN the next day. But the show did it for me. I fell in love with a new favorite band ever.
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 09:28 AM   #16
SugarLips
little trouble girl

SugarLips ain't too shabby
used to hang out at a tiny record stored called Hit Records in Texas it was around 1984 I was flipping through the latest 45's the guy working put on their first EP as music in the store...I bought a copy

SugarLips is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 09:32 AM   #17
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Its funny I actually discovered Sonic Youth through The Simpsons, the Homerpalloza episode! I fell in love with the smashing pumpkins' Zero song, So I downloaded the song and decided to check out the other bands mentioned in the episode. I just fell in love with Sonic Youth's sound and their revolutionary innovation. Now Sonic Youth, The Smashing Pumpkins and Nine Inch Nails are amongst my all time favourite bands. Thanks Matt Groening!
Washing Machine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2006, 06:31 AM   #18
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
I remember listening to the radio in Italy and they were broadcasting a live SY gig in Turin.After the gig the radio presenter was asking questions to the audience and people were absolutely SPELLBOUND!!!!And so was i at home,alone in my bedroom,full of joy in my heart because i had found THE BAND i was looking for.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2006, 04:59 PM   #19
thindarkduke13
bad moon rising

thindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's assesthindarkduke13 kicks all y'all's asses
Fairly Oddparents got me into 'em. In the episode where Timmy wishes life was like a comic book. All his friends get superhero names and one of the kids powers was to release powerful bursts of noise. His name was "The Sonic Youth" I recognized the name and bought DDN soon after that.
thindarkduke13 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2006, 05:01 PM   #20
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
don't mention it.
Satan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth