Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Ranaldo/Mori/Parkins/Rosenfeld
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.18.2008, 03:30 PM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
JOSHUA LIGHT SHOW RESIDENCY at ISSUE PROJECT ROOM, MAY 28-31

Posted on April 17, 2008 by amhnyc
Turn on. Tune In. Drop Out. And back In. And out. And In….
Wednesday, May 28 ALL-STAR EXPERIMENTAL IMPROVISATION
Ikue Mori (electronics), Zeena Parkins (electric harp), Lee Ranaldo (electric guitar) and Marina Rosenfeld (electronics), 8pm
Thursday, May 29 NORTH INDIAN RAGA and TALA (co-presented by Chhandayan)
Pandit Samir Chatterjee (tabla) and K.V. Mahabala (sitar), 8 pm
Friday, May 30 FREE JAZZ with Albert-Ayler-inspired quartet, Spiritual Unity
Roy Campbell (trumpet) Henry Grimes (bass), Marc Ribot (guitar), Chad Taylor (drums), 8 pm
Saturday, May 31 ELECTRONIC MUSIC
Soft Circle (Hisham Bharoocha) and Invisible Conga People (Justin Simon, Eric Tsai), 8pm
ISSUE Project Room is thrilled to host pioneering multimedia artist Joshua White and his legendary Joshua Light Show for a week of unique audiovisual collaborations. The residency will involve White’s iconic projections alongside an incredible roster of musicians, with a different musical genre represented on each night of the residency. The Joshua Light Show involves a team of video and light artists, led by White and his senior collaborator, Bec Stupak (Honeygun Labs) to improvise live synesthetic visuals behind a giant rear projection screen, involving the “liquid light” techniques he developed at Bill Graham’s Fillmore East during the late 1960s. In addition, each performance of the light show will feature contributions from a different live-cinema artist, including Seth Kirby, Zach Layton, and Mighty Robot A/V Squad. The residency is curated and produced in collaboration with Nick Hallett and concludes a month of programming at IPR devoted to the Ecstatic Moment.
$20 General-admission floor seating (available at the door before each concert)
$30 Reserved chair seating can be arranged by email: reservations@issueprojectroom.org
All performances begin at 8pm
ISSUE Project Room at the (oa) can factory 232 Third Street at 3rd Ave, 3rd Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11215 F, G to Carroll; F, M, R to 9th Street-4th Ave (71

330-0313 (venue)
www.issueprojectroom.org
ISSUE Project Room’s Joshua Light Show Residency is made possible through Presentation Funds from the Experimental Television Center. The Experimental Television Center’s Presentation Funds program is supported by the New York State Council on the Arts.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2008, 10:01 AM   #3
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i'm seeing parkins and mori next week with elliot sharp.

all in the same combo? killer!
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 08:58 AM   #4
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
When I go to see 4 high level improvisers on one stage like last night at Issue Project Room, I have very high expectations, and all were met last night. I'm not really sure how to describe what I heard and saw. There was a cool light show projected on the high wall behind the performers, I wasn't totally blown away but it does point to the opportunities digital projection could provide. The 4 musicians - Mori, Parkins, Ranaldo and Rosenfeld seemed to have an intuitive feel for where they were going - which isn't surprising as MOri and Parkins perform together regularly. Mori was using her laptop to manipulate sounds and samples, Parkins had a keyboard through effects, Ranaldo mostly used his guitar through a piles of effects as a sound source, and Rosenfeld had her turntables hooked up through effects and laptop. Its no secret I have had some negative things to say about Rosenfeld but last night swept all that away, there was one sound in particular where she'd stop the power on the turntable and sample the slowing down sound and then manipulate that sound. Parkins kept bringing this enormous low frequency whale of a bass sound out of her set up. Each of the players would take a 'step forward' and the other players would work their way along side and then another player would 'step forward'. IN the free jazz music I see there is usually some kind of cue to indicate when a player should move but with this quartet it seemed to have a natural pace. Pretty cool stuff.

The Issue Project room is trying very hard, I want to love these people but I got there at 7:50 and they didn't seat us until 8:45. I don't think they understand how undercomfortable their hallway is. There's some amazing gigs there next month but I don't think its worth the aggravation or $5 glass of wine. I just don't understand why they won't post the correct start time and stick with it. I've never gone to a gig there that wasn't at least 30 minutes late.

I was pissed because Ras Moshe/Shayna Dulberger/Dave Ross was playing with his trio up the street at the Lyceum and I should have had no problem making the 2nd set, but I only saw the last 10 minutes, and from that last 10 minuites I'm not sure I went to the right show.

i'll be edit this later...
Old 05.29.2008, 09:54 AM   #5
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
oh yeah great show, Id add they were simultaneuosly projecting on both sides of the screen, from front and from behind (hope that makes sense). set up was mori front right, lee behind her, and on left side Parkins in front of Rosenfeld. big giant projection screen behind them on that side of the room, floor to ceiling (if you know how IPR is set up thats a big screen).

at one point Lee was using some kind of ipod or something to play voice mails off his phone? that was pretty funny (it got some laughs from the audience).

and it lasted about 50 minutes. sound was pristine clear, and not too loud. there were what, 50-75 people there?

as far as late starts, maybe they should post doors 8 show 8:30? lot of people show up late that is I think main reason they wait until 8:30 or so before starting.
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2008, 11:25 AM   #6
tesla69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgekrz
as far as late starts, maybe they should post doors 8 show 8:30? lot of people show up late that is I think main reason they wait until 8:30 or so before starting.

that would be a solution, but I've gone to see Loren Conners and he starts right on time. Marina Rosenfeld didn't even show up until after 5 after 8 due to a "sick baby". So 50 people x 30 minutes is 25 hours of life was sucked out of us! Thats a lot of time, The Time Vampires work is very subtle.

Appreciation for the passage of (my) time is something new that has arrived after turning 40. I think perception of time changes as people get older.

At least the proprieters kept coming out and apologizing for the delay.

Its just annoying to intentionally get there on time to get a good seat and then you have to fight with this huge herd to get in.. I just think if the performers need so much time to set up they should get there early and not make us wait. We're the customers and they treat us like a doctors office - like our time is not important and can be wasted.

Tonic used to do the same thing and it made me mental - its the main reason I don't have a gushing memory of Tonic. I can think of a million things I'd rarher be doing with my precious resource of time than waitign around. And I'm sick of trying to have congenial 10 minute instant freind conversations with people waiting, the last time I tried that the doofus wouldn't stop talking to me during the show and ruined my tape, tried to move and then got in a fight with some cocksuckers but thats another story...

the one thing I appreciated is they didn't blast stupid music during the down time. It is a relief to have some silence and not have to shout to be heard.

I want to support this DIY endeavour wholeheartedly, you know?! Wow that neighborhood is going to change like crazy over the next couple years. Great investment opportunity.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth