Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Discuss the Classics #1: The Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.22.2007, 10:08 AM   #21
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
who says they love the beatles? I mean, REALLY? who says it? it is de rigeur to put them down, debase their achievements, deride their later music, I see NOONE praising the beatles. hell, the stone roses keep winning best brit record ever in all polls.

who exactly is praising the beatles?

BEATLES!

read about the EVIL BEATLES here! http://stargods.org/BeatlesEvil.html
Old 06.22.2007, 10:09 AM   #22
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Oh, sorry I forgot that you hardly ever mention the greats. My fault, apologies.

Quit hitting the sauce so early in the day, Porkie. That's not how a hero behaves.
Old 06.22.2007, 10:11 AM   #23
sarramkrop

I can't help taking the mickey out of you. You're fun.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2007, 10:15 AM   #24
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Porkie, porkie, porkie, porkie... tsk, tsk, tsk...

I can tell you mean well, though.
Old 06.22.2007, 12:59 PM   #25
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
I listened to my dad's old vinyl copy. The only song that stuck with me was A Little Help From My Friends

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2007, 01:21 PM   #26
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I know it tends to divide posters here, but it probably remains the most significant step in redefining ideas of what a 'pop' album could be. That plus the fact that, with the possible exception of George Harrisson's cod-exoticisms on Within You Without You, it hasn't dated at all. An album that deserves every accolade it receives, regardless of how unfashionable it might be these days.

Interesting you dis the song Sonic Youth chose to cover. I don't see how "Within You Without You" has "dated" any more than any other piece of recorded music. Recordings do tend to reflect the technology of the time they are created in, but a psych pop song with an Indian influence is no more '60s than a surf tune (both genres have continued to be active since their first inception.) I think the Harrison song is better than some of the circusy moments of the album myself.

I like Sgt. Pepper's, but have always felt it overrated. Revolver is a much stronger album in my book, perhaps because they still had a "live" experience in the back of their minds that they so happily abandoned to do Sgt. Pepper's. Or maybe I just go for a darker feel overall, which Revolver certainly has compared to SP. I do love "A Day in the Life", but the title track stuff, and "When I'm 64" seems as silly to me as "Within You Without You" seems to you. There are times I can enjoy them, but mostly I'd rather listen to something else.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2007, 01:51 PM   #27
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I can play sgt peppers at full volume followed by Mr Bungle's self-titled and I love it allllll
Old 06.22.2007, 02:45 PM   #28
gmku
invito al cielo

I love W/in you W/out you. Best song on the album.
Old 06.22.2007, 07:11 PM   #29
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Interesting you dis the song Sonic Youth chose to cover. I don't see how "Within You Without You" has "dated" any more than any other piece of recorded music.

I say that because, listening to it now, it seems unable to elevate itself beyond a general 60s fascination with Eastern music. Other songs on the album are less obviously 'of their time'. It's what has made certain songs by a band like The Beach Boys appear almost timeless (God Only Knows, for example) whilst others (Student Demonstration Time, for example) seem so entirely locked into their era.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2007, 07:46 PM   #30
gmku
invito al cielo

I guess I don't get how Within You is so stuck in the 1960s, and even if I did and it is, I guess I don't understand why that's necessarily a bad thing. Can't something be good while still reflecting its era? As in, moi, fer instance?
Old 06.23.2007, 07:10 AM   #31
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
It isn't a bad thing necessarily, it's just that if that's ALL it is, then its appeal is quite limited.
Old 06.23.2007, 07:50 AM   #32
gmku
invito al cielo

I think it's a great song, regardless of its time period. I wish there were more like it on Pepper, in fact. When I first bought the LP, not knowing much about it, I had hoped it would have more of that Indian influence. At the time, I thought that was what the whole psychedelic thing was about.
Old 06.23.2007, 09:02 AM   #33
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I guess that whenever I listen to other songs on the album, the imagery I get is related directly to the their theme. Whenever I listen to WYWY I tend to just get images of a scene, like hippies in Golden Gate Park, or something. It was a moment where the Beatles (well Harrison, anyway) were following developments, rather than help shape them.
Old 06.23.2007, 09:59 AM   #34
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Whenever I listen to WYWY I tend to just get images of a scene, like hippies in Golden Gate Park, or something. .

That's too funny!!!

I don't know. I know there's a lot of history that swirls around albums, and you can't really help that. If you're really into a band, especially, you think about the history, I suppose, that shaped the album as you're listening to it. Maybe. Depends on your interests, I guess. Myself, I've always been far less interested in the history or events surrounding an album (or any work of art) than in the album (or work of art) itself. So I don't get those images when I listen to that song. But now that you've planted it in my head, maybe I will.
Old 06.24.2007, 06:55 AM   #35
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Just for the record, I like WYWY, a LOT. I just don't think it's quite AS good as the rest of the songs on the album.

From my point of view, how bad can an album be if its worst track is that one. A song that on any other album would probably be its centrepiece.
Old 06.24.2007, 03:50 PM   #36
Kyohan
bad moon rising

Kyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's asses
I find Sgt Pepper a little too patchy to deserve the place in history it holds. The White Album is a much more challenging and innovative body of work and Revolver contained just as many radical (and arguably, more psychedelic) musical ideas. State-of-the-art as it was, I find the production on Sgt Pepper a bit cluttered and over-fussy. Its still an incredible album overall though.
Kyohan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2007, 09:42 AM   #37
sarramkrop

THE BEATLES REQUEST TO USE STOCKHAUSEN'S

PHOTO ON THE COVER OF SGT. PEPPERS LP

Stockhausen is the 5th from the left in the back row. Cover ©1967 EMI/Apple Corps

On May 1, 1967 the Beatles contacted Stockhausen through Brian Epstein's NEMS Enterprises to obtain

permission to use his photo on the upcoming Beatles LP "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band".

Click

HERE to view letter.

Since Stockhausen was pursuing a busy schedule of teaching and concerts in the USA and Europe, he was

unable to respond immediately to the Beatles' request. Brian Epstein sent a desperate telegram on May 8th

to obtain permission. Time was impotant since the LP was to go on sale in June 1, 1967.
Click

HERE to view telegram.

Original photo of Stockhausen (1964) used by Beatles

on "Sgt. Pepper" LP cover

Paul McCartney claims in several statements that he was the first Beatle to discover Stockhausen's music. Sir Paul

has named GESANG DER JUNGLINGE as his favorite Stockhausen work. McCartney probably introduced the late

John Lennon to Stockhausen's music in mid-1966. Lennon was also greatly influenced by Stockhausen. HYMNEN
was Lennon's inspiration for REVOLUTION #9 on the Beatles' White Album.

Rock musicians such as Frank Zappa, Peter Townshend, Jerry Garcia and Bjork name Stockhausen as a major

influence on their musical lives and work. Jazz musicians like Miles Davis, George Russell, Anthony Braxton

and Charles Mingus have also been Stockhausen admirers.

|QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2007, 11:26 AM   #38
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
THE BEATLES REQUEST TO USE STOCKHAUSEN'S

PHOTO ON THE COVER OF SGT. PEPPERS LP

Stockhausen is the 5th from the left in the back row. Cover ©1967 EMI/Apple Corps

On May 1, 1967 the Beatles contacted Stockhausen through Brian Epstein's NEMS Enterprises to obtain

permission to use his photo on the upcoming Beatles LP "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band".

Click

HERE to view letter.

Since Stockhausen was pursuing a busy schedule of teaching and concerts in the USA and Europe, he was

unable to respond immediately to the Beatles' request. Brian Epstein sent a desperate telegram on May 8th

to obtain permission. Time was impotant since the LP was to go on sale in June 1, 1967.
Click

HERE to view telegram.

Original photo of Stockhausen (1964) used by Beatles

on "Sgt. Pepper" LP cover

Paul McCartney claims in several statements that he was the first Beatle to discover Stockhausen's music. Sir Paul

has named GESANG DER JUNGLINGE as his favorite Stockhausen work. McCartney probably introduced the late

John Lennon to Stockhausen's music in mid-1966. Lennon was also greatly influenced by Stockhausen. HYMNEN
was Lennon's inspiration for REVOLUTION #9 on the Beatles' White Album.

Rock musicians such as Frank Zappa, Peter Townshend, Jerry Garcia and Bjork name Stockhausen as a major

influence on their musical lives and work. Jazz musicians like Miles Davis, George Russell, Anthony Braxton

and Charles Mingus have also been Stockhausen admirers.

Great post. Would rep if i could.
Old 06.26.2007, 12:16 PM   #39
gmku
invito al cielo

Has anyone heard Sonic Youth doing Within You Without You? It's pretty awesome. But it sounds exactly like what it is--Sonic Youth doing a George Harrison song. In other words, SY staying faithful to the song but sounding like SY.
Old 06.26.2007, 12:19 PM   #40
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Yeah, I like their version a lot.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth