Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Magik Markers - "Boss"
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.12.2007, 02:16 PM   #161
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Although I like BOSS, all the comparisons to No Wave and Sonic Youth are pretty stupid. I've always seen No Wave as a movement, not a sound and not some romantic notion of a mentality. Why does a band seen as challenging have to name check No Wave to death to be seen as worthwhile? Seriously, when cred becomes more important to people than the music itself then you surely deserve the title of Hipster. Read that last review, there's more nostalgia in there that I can stand and I'm fairly confident that if you plucked out "Magik Markers" it would still make sense.

And also BOSS isn't that amazing of a rock album. Much of the songs have a painfully predictable verse-chorus structure which seems dubious for a band that was acclaimed for improv skronking. And no, it isn't radical that band "spits" on its own image by becoming predictable. It's rather annoying that the vocal melodies on "Axis Mundi," "Four/The Ballad of Harry Andstrom," and "Circle" are the same with little variation.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2007, 02:53 PM   #162
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
but pish pish-- the markers didnt write that review-- log your complaint with tinymixtapes. i never heard them claim to be "no wave". i heard them say they wanted to sound like led zeppelin

well i am going i am going i am going to sunbaked phoenix :P

--

they better not pull a joanna newsom on me and show up even if their fingers are bleeding
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2007, 03:04 PM   #163
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
but pish pish-- the markers didnt write that review-- log your complaint with tinymixtapes. i never heard them claim to be "no wave". i heard them say they wanted to sound like led zeppelin
Where, may I ask, are you pulling this assumption that I was criticizing the band out from?
Old 10.12.2007, 03:07 PM   #164
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Where, may I ask, are you pulling this assumption that I was criticizing the band out from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Why does a band seen as challenging have to name check No Wave to death to be seen as worthwhile?

no ASSupmtions. i have this terrible bad habit of reading for comprehension, and "a band" is the subject of "name check" in that sentence.
Old 10.12.2007, 03:17 PM   #165
pbradley
invito al cielo

I believe the part of that sentence that you should have focused on was "to be seen as worthwhile." There's an assumed indirect object in that sentence, try to figure out who it is. Apparently your habit is bad if you are so terribly selective in your comprehension.

Claiming to be influenced by No Wave is fine, having the fact paraded around by reviewers to generate buzz is what I'm criticizing.
Old 10.12.2007, 03:23 PM   #166
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

"be seen" is the passive voice.

"to be seen... " etc however is the indirect object of that sentence, not the main verb. the subject is the performer of the predicate.

ow, english major??

i know what you wanted to say, but your sentence didnt say that.

ah ha ha ha, thread hijacked by the grammar police.

well im actually not qualified ha ha.

where is gmku?

and where is floatingslowly when we need to hijack a thread...
Old 10.14.2007, 05:42 AM   #167
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
everyone is a critic......
Old 10.15.2007, 07:06 PM   #168
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

BWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

because of some work fuckups (other people's faults not mine) i am not going to make it to the phoenix show. FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.

i doubt that i'll be able to chase them to okiehaha, so unless i can score a sweet flight later down the line, this is it for this tour, for me.

FUCK.

don't make fun you hating bitches-- i was so looking forward to this i was willing to drive a chichillion miles-- but now, fuck, i am hung by the nutsac by semi-responsible people who didnt deliver their work on time.

con~o mierda puta madre carajo. shit.

but anyway. life will continue.
Old 10.15.2007, 07:13 PM   #169
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
listened to schroeder yesterday.

excellent!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2007, 10:47 PM   #170
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
BWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

because of some work fuckups (other people's faults not mine) i am not going to make it to the phoenix show. FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.

i doubt that i'll be able to chase them to okiehaha, so unless i can score a sweet flight later down the line, this is it for this tour, for me.

FUCK.

don't make fun you hating bitches-- i was so looking forward to this i was willing to drive a chichillion miles-- but now, fuck, i am hung by the nutsac by semi-responsible people who didnt deliver their work on time.

con~o mierda puta madre carajo. shit.

but anyway. life will continue.

without any sarcasm or offesne intended, i'm being completelly sincere here:

you have a lot of bad luck for catching shows, right?

i remember joanna newsum cancelled on you and you only caught half of circle's show in ny.

you need a limpia.

at least you got to see circle, man.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2007, 11:06 PM   #171
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
without any sarcasm or offesne intended, i'm being completelly sincere here:

you have a lot of bad luck for catching shows, right?

i remember joanna newsum cancelled on you and you only caught half of circle's show in ny.

you need a limpia.

at least you got to see circle, man.

yes. circle was cool. and funny-- i go in and they are screaming "666" and doing arm wrestles onstage. too funny., the best thing i heard was this weirdass all-vocals encore, something that sounded like "ooom pa-pa, oom pa-pa", just strange and very very awesome. but anyway.

yeah joanna vision creation newsom ODed on something that night, but i did catch melt banana earlier at the same place and it was great. oh yes i couldnt go to the youf's dallas or marfa shows either.

about tonight-- this is what i get for outsourcing the programmer's job to my latin-american relatives-- we have to unveil a project tomorrow and everything gets done at the very *last8 fucking minute. not good for the nerves. and it's family so you can't really dish out the abuse. what can i tell you.

and yes i need a limpia alright. i'm gonna order me a rue soap & wash all over until i get to see a kickass show in all of it's length. next time i will not mention a thing until it happens-- theres something jinxified about making public announcements of things to come. i should learn...

--
ps- any php/mysql programmers out there, drop me a line
Old 10.17.2007, 03:17 AM   #172
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
I received my copy frop ep.com a couple of weeks ago but only now I had a chance to give it a proper listen.
The album is pretty good. One of the best of this year imo. Some of the songs have a similar melody but they are quit good. I agree there is no place for sonic youth comparisons. Some parts seem to be heavily influenced from the Dead/Gate sound. Lee's production is really great. The sound is really clear, even the nosier parts.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2007, 11:10 AM   #173
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
yes. circle was cool. and funny-- i go in and they are screaming "666" and doing arm wrestles onstage. too funny., the best thing i heard was this weirdass all-vocals encore, something that sounded like "ooom pa-pa, oom pa-pa", just strange and very very awesome. but anyway.

yeah joanna vision creation newsom ODed on something that night, but i did catch melt banana earlier at the same place and it was great. oh yes i couldnt go to the youf's dallas or marfa shows either.

about tonight-- this is what i get for outsourcing the programmer's job to my latin-american relatives-- we have to unveil a project tomorrow and everything gets done at the very *last8 fucking minute. not good for the nerves. and it's family so you can't really dish out the abuse. what can i tell you.

and yes i need a limpia alright. i'm gonna order me a rue soap & wash all over until i get to see a kickass show in all of it's length. next time i will not mention a thing until it happens-- theres something jinxified about making public announcements of things to come. i should learn...

--
ps- any php/mysql programmers out there, drop me a line

hahaha, circle is the shit!!

melt-banana!!! holy shit!!! you got to see an amazing show there!!

yeah, you can't really go off on relatives about doing things at the laqst minute yet they feel there's no problem about it...i do things at the last minute but always bring the results at the deadline.

and you need a real limpia with a brujo and eggs and herbs and everything man!!!

Old 10.17.2007, 02:17 PM   #174
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Cool, I'm seeing Melt Banana october 30th at some little club. I can't wait. First time seeing them!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2007, 03:02 PM   #175
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Cool, I'm seeing Melt Banana october 30th at some little club. I can't wait. First time seeing them!

virgin!

they are awesome.
Old 10.17.2007, 03:05 PM   #176
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

i'll probably see them in their retirement tour, if i ever get the chance of seeing them.
Old 10.17.2007, 04:29 PM   #177
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Bambi's Dillemma - currently no. 12

Boss - currently no. 44
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2007, 06:35 AM   #178
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
listened to schroeder yesterday.

excellent!

great. glad you liked it! simon is a talented guy alright..
enjoy the bananas
Old 10.19.2007, 02:33 AM   #179
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.stereogum.com/archives/qu...k-markers.html

Quit Your Day Job: Magik Markers

Unless you were born with one of those silver spoons, you likely work a day job, sneaking time for your own business when not taking care of someone else's. You're not alone. Every week, Brandon Stosuy finds out how our favorite indie artists make ends meet...
NY/SF duo Magik Markers have been a live favorite for a long while. After dropping a member and releasing the excellent Lee Ranaldo-produced BOSS, vocalist/guitarist Elisa Ambrogio and ten-men-in-one drummer Pete Nolan are proving equally compelling (albeit calmer, less bloodied) songwriters. Full disclosure: I'm a pal of Ambrogio's. Even if I wasn't, though, there's no denying they're one of the smartest/in-your-face groups to emerge from anywhere in years -- fascinating to see where they're heading with the new one.
I bugged Elisa a few months ago about doing a Day Job piece, but despite the album title, she recently quit the longtime 9-5 to focus on the band/her move to California. Lucky for us, Nolan's still punching the clock along with his toms. We caught up right before the band went on tour to discuss his role as a Special Education teacher. If you need a quick pre-chat fix, check out the video for BOSS's "Taste" from a few weeks back. Then, after the discussion, listen to "Bad Dream/Hartford's Beat Suite," a gorgeous torch-punk ballad, also from the boss BOSS.
STEREOGUM: What do you teach?
PETE NOLAN: I'm a reading, math, and comprehension tutor for a private Special Ed company.
STEREOGUM: So is this for an entire class or one student at a time?
PN: Just one at a time.
STEREOGUM: How long have you been at it?
PN: I've been doing it off and on for four years. I started out in Kentucky and have since worked at centers in Long Island and Manhattan.
STEREOGUM: Do you have a teaching degree?
PN: No, I have a degree in Interdisciplinary Humanities. I studied Comparative Religion, Philosophy, and English at Michigan State. My main interest was Comparative Religion, especially Hindu Tantric Mysticism and Buddhism.
STEREOGUM: Are you a teacher because you get summers off or is it something you pursued as a job calling, or whatever?
PN: I actually worked full time this summer, and man did it suck. Now I'm on jury duty. As far as regular jobs go though it is the most rewarding one I've had.
STEREOGUM: Do you normally work year 'round?
PN: I have worked year round, but I spent a lot of time touring last year and just worked the summer.
STEREOGUM: What's on your syllabus right now?
PN: I'm actually done for now. We're going on tour this week. I'll probably pick it back up in November. I ended up teaching math mostly, which involved coming up with countless multi-step story problems involving decimals and fractions with Harry Potter and the Fantastic Four. I think one problem involved Mr. Fantastic getting into a fight with the Invisible Woman and smashing the Thing into 387 pieces. I could really work the fraction angle on this one.
STEREOGUM: Ha. In general, what kind of teacher are you -- strict, funny, Dead Poet Society?
PN: Most of the kids are very badly behaved and I find barking commands at them as though they were retarded puppies seems to be a pretty effective teaching method. With some of the older kids I can take the "you're right man, this is bullshit, my summer is fucking ruined too" sort of stance. This lays the groundwork for a sort of mutually dissatisfied camaraderie, which is really the only effective working relationship within the confines of a three-foot office cubicle. I think this is probably good training for kids who may well have a future in menial office work. But if I was gonna use an archetypal Robin Williams character to pattern my work self after -- as I strive to do in all areas of my life -- I would probably be most like his "stalker" character from One Hour Photo. I'm less verbose though and I bring it across mostly through creepy smiles and limp handshakes.
STEREOGUM: So ... what are parent/teacher conferences like?
PN: Sometimes the parents just come sit in on the sessions. They're usually overly tanned super rich ladies who spoil the fuck out of their kids. So every time I ask the kid what a word says, they would be like: "Darren, if you don't feel well you don't have to read that nasty word ... Darren's not feeling too well today, don't make him read that word." So I guess a huge portion of illiteracy must be caused by rich ladies spoiling their kids.
STEREOGUM: Do the kids know about Magik Markers or your other projects?
PN: Some of the kids. The teenagers who seem really interested in music and who are always downloading stuff from iTunes. They're pretty stoked when I tell them. Most of the kids wouldn't believe it though. One kid refused to believe that I could ride a skateboard and thought I was talking straight bullshit when I said I could do a kick flip.
STEREOGUM: Did you prove 'em otherwise? Maybe bring a board to school and casually do a kick flip as you leave the building?
PN: I stopped trying to impress little kids. Although I have brought a yo yo and that seems to keep them distracted for a good five minutes. (I know a lot of tricks.)
STEREOGUM: Know any other rock 'n' roll teachers? I feel like I've interviewed enough to start a separate rock 'n' roll teacher school.
PN: I once had a boss who claimed to be a "Dada style" poet. I got the distinct impression that this meant something different to him than it did to me when he told me how liberating it was to be able to get up in front of crowds of Long Island open mic nighters and spout off such non sequiturs like "penguin" and "typewriter." In retrospect, I probably should have gone to check out one of his readings. Generally speaking, I haven't ever worked with anyone that I could relate to on some kind of artistic level, and I try to keep what I do outside of work under wraps.
STEREOGUM: What's been your favorite teaching moment? Any star pupils?
PN: One time I had this little kid who would go to the bathroom in the middle of session for like ten to fifteen minutes. He would do it every day, and it got to be a problem. He obviously wasn't going to the bathroom, so I started hassling him to come out. This didn't really work to well, so one day we had to bust in on him. He had taken a bunch of liquid hand soap and thrown it on the floor. He was standing in the puddle and doing some kind of twisty dance on the slippery floor. It was pretty weird. This same kid was really genuinely shocked when I did the pull your finger off trick. He almost lost his mind: "How'd you do that?!" ... "Magic finger?!"
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2007, 04:54 PM   #180
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
no word on european dates yet, no?
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth