Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page most overrated artists of all time
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.22.2006, 02:31 PM   #21
Fred Cracklin
little trouble girl

Fred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
My opinions. Please do not assume that this list is in any way exhaustive. I'll just type 'till my fingers get too sore.

I won't assume that your list is in any way accurate as far was what's good or what's bad in music. Your little gay ass geek post struck me as an attempt to come off as a real authority, so I felt compelled to share my rebuttal and parade my ass around was well. We'll see who wins the battle of the buns with the readers.

Quote:
Part one: people who (supposedly) should not be bashed, but who are or were in fact largely bobbins: The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zepellin, U2, Bloody Radiohead, Blur, Belle and Sebastian, Kaiser Chiefs, Eminem, Coldplay, Pink Floyd, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Brian Eno, Genesis, Abba, Bee Gees, The White Stripes, Arcade Fire, Flaming Lips, REM, Blondie, undertones, Verve, The Strokes

I can agree that Abba, (The) Bee Gees, White Stripes, Arcade Fire, Flaming Lips, Blondie, undertones, Verve, The Strokes are all somewhat "overrated". The Beatles, Stones and Led Zeppelin belong nowhere on a list with these other groups. It points towards some sort of personal problem. Something is lacking in you. I'll call it heart. Your ears aren't too good either. You're kind of ugly too. You've got many problems.
Oh and good luck finding anything besides diseased pussy flouting around your pentagrams.

Quote:
Classical composers who, despite the trend, were largely bobbins: Beethoven (one decent part of one average symphony and what does he get? hundreds of years of respect!), Sullivan, Britten, that guy whose name escapes me, Dvorak.
So you're supposed to be an authority on classical music too? That's a real knee-slapper.

Quote:
It seems to me that jazz is the only major musical genre where it's quality that gets respect.
In jazz, the cream rises to the surface, whilst in other genres the pollution just kind of floats there.

You do not know dick about jazz, so why even comment? You would like to seem well-rounded. I understand. I notice you didn't write very much about jazz though. There's quite a large amount of respect in the jazz world for a lot of cheese.
Fred Cracklin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 02:39 PM   #22
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
My opinions. Please do not assume that this list is in any way exhaustive. I'll just type 'till my fingers get too sore.

Part one: people who (supposedly) should not be bashed, but who are or were in fact largely bobbins: The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zepellin, U2, Bloody Radiohead, Blur, Belle and Sebastian, Kaiser Chiefs, Eminem, Coldplay, Pink Floyd, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Brian Eno, Genesis, Abba, Bee Gees, The White Stripes, Arcade Fire, Flaming Lips, REM, Blondie, undertones, Verve, The Strokes

Part two: people who are polular, but not protected to the same extent as those in part one, and are or were also largely bobbins: Green Day, the Foo Fighters, The Darkness, Slipknot, Maximo Park, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Pavement, Rage Against the Machine, 50 Cent, Snow Patrol (the point? Any idea?), Keane (ditto), The Killers, My Chemical Romance, Black Sabbath, Ash, Turin Brakes, Alkaline Trio, The Bravery, Iron Maiden, The Editors, The Hives, The Vines, Catatonia, Guns 'n' Roses, Christina Agullera, Massive Attack, Underworld, Fatboy Slim, AC/DC.

Part three: throwaway pop acts etc who, despite being very popular and/or supposedly credible in some way, are or were still largely bobbins: Celine Dion (first on the list for a reason), Mariah Carey, Kylie Minogue, Gerorge Michael, Phil Collins, Westlife, Jamie Cullum, Wham!, Bananarama, Simply Red, Simple Minds, .

Classical composers who, despite the trend, were largely bobbins: Beethoven (one decent part of one average symphony and what does he get? hundreds of years of respect!), Sullivan, Britten, that guy whose name escapes me, Dvorak.

It seems to me that jazz is the only major musical genre where it's quality that gets respect.

In jazz, the cream rises to the surface, whilst in other genres the pollution just kind of floats there.

Sorry, I don't mean to repetitively quote this, but I need a visual reference.

I'll have to disagree with: The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, REM, & Guns 'n Roses, for a variety of reasons. While some of them may not have been especially pioneering, they were genuine. The shallow glam-rock bands knew what they were, and never pretended to be otherwise. Which is sort of my credo when 'judging' a band - if they're true to themselves, they're alright in my book.

Led Zeppelin?? Jimmy Page is one of the greatest guitarists OF ALL TIME. Plant's vocals are something to contend with in any musical genre. Lyrically, they're fucking brilliant.

The Beatles - one of the very few bands that are obscenely hyped, but well-deserving. The Rolling Stones fall into this category as well, I think - they weren't 'deep,' but they fucking rocked, and that's all they set out to do.

Black Sabbath - I somewhat equate Ozzy with David Lee Roth, in that they both simply embraced the 'rock' lifestyle, and lived it beyond its fullest. They were over the top, but that's what made them appealing. Read Roth's biography sometime, the guy is a fucking classic.

Ah shit, I'll rant more later, my boss is back.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 02:39 PM   #23
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
fred cracked corn and i don't care

^_^

---
just becuz a band's overrated... doesn't mean they suck.
Everyone and their grandmother may love pink floyd and say darkside is the best album ever... but hey, it's good, and we all can't stand the diamond sea while being high
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 02:41 PM   #24
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cracklin
I won't assume that your list is in any way accurate as far was what's good or what's bad in music. Your little geek post struck me as an attempt to come off as a real authority, so I felt compelled to share my rebuttal & parade my ass around was well. We'll see who wins the battle of the buns with the readers.

Keep in mind that musical preference is subjective. And the whole topic is referring to Overrated bands, not whether they're "good" or not.

Quote:
...I can agree that Abba, (The) Bee Gees, White Stripes, Arcade Fire, Flaming Lips, Blondie, undertones, Verve, The Strokes are all somewhat "overrated" . The other names you mention point towards some sort of personal problem. Something is lacking in you. I'll call it heart. Your ears aren't too good either. You're kind of ugly, too. You've got many problems.
Oh and good luck finding anything besides diseased pussy flouting around your pentagrams.

So you're supposed to be an authority on classical music too. That's a real knee-slapper coming from a whipper snapper like yourself.

You do not know dick about jazz, so why even comment? You would like to seem well-rounded. I understand. I notice you didn't write very much about jazz though. There's quite a large amount of respect in the jazz world for a lot of cheese.

Your post seems like a weak method of starting an argument. Half the things you said were'nt even relavent to the topic, and he probably didn't write about Jazz, because it had nothing to do with overrated bands as he stated.
Old 03.22.2006, 02:44 PM   #25
M.
empty page

M. has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
the beatles, definately
M. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 02:48 PM   #26
Fred Cracklin
little trouble girl

Fred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Your post seems like a weak method of starting an argument. Half the things you said were'nt even relavent to the topic, and he probably didn't write about Jazz, because it had nothing to do with overrated bands as he stated.

I don't give a flying fuck about your "topic".
Fred Cracklin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 03:02 PM   #27
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I won't assume that your list is in any way accurate as far was what's good or what's bad in music. Your little gay ass geek post struck me as an attempt to come off as a real authority, so I felt compelled to share my rebuttal and parade my ass around was well. We'll see who wins the battle of the buns with the readers.

I can agree that Abba, (The) Bee Gees, White Stripes, Arcade Fire, Flaming Lips, Blondie, undertones, Verve, The Strokes are all somewhat "overrated". The Beatles, Stones and Led Zeppelin belong nowhere on a list with these other groups. It points towards some sort of personal problem. Something is lacking in you. I'll call it heart. Your ears aren't too good either. You're kind of ugly too. You've got many problems.

Totally harsh and undeserved, but you have to admit that was pretty damn funny.
Old 03.22.2006, 03:03 PM   #28
truncated
invito al cielo

And I'm with him on The Beatles, Stones, and Zeppelin - Hip Priest, you're a wicked guy, but what in Christ's name are you smokin', boy?
Old 03.22.2006, 03:12 PM   #29
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Nobody's mentioned Nirvana. Are we all mellowing in our old age?

sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 03:35 PM   #30
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
plenty of people mentioned nirvana.

oasis, pink floyd, bruse springsteen, queen, smashing pumpkins, the darkness,

the list is endless really.
jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 03:45 PM   #31
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Okay, yeah, I've re-read, I had missed those references to Nirvana. I'm trying to eat, watch football and read the forum all at the same time.

sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 03:50 PM   #32
trance feeeedback
children of satan

trance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's asses
definately nirvana.

"sound is god"-Ravi Shankar.

FREE TIBET!
trance feeeedback is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 04:23 PM   #33
truncated
invito al cielo

I disagree - I don't think Nirvana is overrated at all. They managed to make grunge accessible to the masses without watering it down, opening up doors for countless other bands.

I think the same phenomenon occurred (to a lesser degree) with the White Stripes - they were partly responsible for reviving garage rock, and while they opened a floodgate for shit bands, they still make decent music that just happens to be universally appealing.

To reiterate what someone said earlier, just because a band is popular doesn't make them shit. I think the above two deserved their kudos.
Old 03.22.2006, 04:29 PM   #34
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
has to be, The Darkness.... hands down. they are a load of shit, and of course our good friends the arctic monkeys...
fishmonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 04:33 PM   #35
bucklebone
bad moon rising

bucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard sucka
In order to rate anything as overrated or underrated, you have to have a standard to go by, ie. what band is exactly worthy of their hype.

By automatically saying The Beatles, The Stones, Led Zep and the Who are overrated, you are leaving out half of your argument. Overrated compared to what????

Are the Beatles overrated compared to Sonic Youth?? I think not!!! Sonic Youth is great, but they would all be self-fellating if they could write a song that approached those of the Beatles. And if ZEP and the Beatles are equally hyped and one is better than the other, then one is overrated and one is not.

But, Hippriest saying the rockn roll heirarchy is overrated compared to jazz is silly. That's like saying Miles Davis is overrated compared to that apple I had for lunch. It's a silly argument used to garner attention. I knew as soon as someone labeled a thread "most overrated bands" that the Beatles would be mentioned by some attention seeker.

IT'S JUST NOT TRUE!!!!

now, i'm taking my marbles and going home....goo goo ga joob...
bucklebone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 04:47 PM   #36
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not even sure how calling a band "overrated" is a knock on them. If I follow correctly, if you consider something overrated, that means you don't like it as much as others. So it's really more of a personal issue. Because the artists have no control over how much praise gets thrown their way.
Old 03.22.2006, 04:50 PM   #37
truncated
invito al cielo

True - it is difficult to classify a band as overrated if we don't have a universal set of criteria by which to judge.

For example, even though I like them (most of the time), and think them "worth their salt," to me, Stereolab is a bit overrated.

And who said Tortoise was overrated? Shame on you!
Old 03.22.2006, 04:55 PM   #38
truncated
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHandsOnTheBigOne
I'm not even sure how calling a band "overrated" is a knock on them. If I follow correctly, if you consider something overrated, that means you don't like it as much as others. So it's really more of a personal issue. Because the artists have no control over how much praise gets thrown their way.

I'm trying my best to see it objectively (which can be difficult). I'm not personally a fan of Nirvana, but given their contribution to their genre (I'm beginning to detest that word), I can appreciate their impact as a band.

I'd get on my soapbox but I'm leaving work now.
Old 03.22.2006, 05:40 PM   #39
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

It's not a battle, it's just people giving opinons on forums. That's why the first two words in my post were 'my opinions'. Ive just checked. Ha ha! You even quoted them in your post.

There isn't right or wrong, it's opinion, that's all. I took the thread idea to mean opinion rather than substantiated fact, as that's what it is.

Quote:
I can agree that Abba, (The) Bee Gees, White Stripes, Arcade Fire, Flaming Lips, Blondie, undertones, Verve, The Strokes are all somewhat "overrated". The Beatles, Stones and Led Zeppelin belong nowhere on a list with these other groups. It points towards some sort of personal problem.

So my list is in no way accurate, but you agree with bits of what I say? Nice.

Quote:
Something is lacking in you. I'll call it heart. Your ears aren't too good either. You're kind of ugly too. You've got many problems.

Wow, what's the problem? You don't know what problems I've got, don't pretend you have. Some peope may think I'm ugly, some the opposite. That's life - it's opinion vs fact again. I see you're an expert on my wife too. Well done. Address women as 'pussy' do you? Well done again.

Quote:
So you're supposed to be an authority on classical music too? That's a real knee-slapper.

Did I say that? Or did I give opinion?? Drop the internet act and try to tolerate opinions other than your own. I think that Beethoven gets way too much respect compared to others who go reletively unnoticed. That's what overrated is all about.

Quote:

You're not really in a position to guess at my knowledge of things, as opposed to my opinions, are you? Try having a proper discussion, instead of insulting people who you disagree with. If you can - I ssupect, though, that things will just be as they ever have been with you.

I didn't write much about jazz? Thats because, and I'll try to put this in simple terms, this thread is about overrated stuff, and I was being positive about jazz. I was saying that in jazz it tends more to be the greats who get the respect ie it's usually deserved. So... there was no list of overrated stuff. See?

I'm more than happy for people to disagree. In fact, I assumed some might, as I don't assume that my opinions are shared by all, nor that they are fact. I'm happy to have my mind changed by intelligent people with things to say. I also accept that someone with opposite tastes to me might be a decent person. I don't throw insults as a substitute for debate, that's for sure.

Tolerance.

It's a shame that you've switched boards already trolling and causing trouble, but what else could we expect?

Thanks to the people who realised that my opinions are exactly that - my opinions.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 05:51 PM   #40
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I agree with hip priests list; while I genuinely think some on the list are definitely over-rated (especially, with bells on, Zappa, The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix), I think part of the point is that rarely are a band, especially one of the legion of 'classic rock' groups, deserving of anything like the hyperbolic nonsense that gets thrown at them. The point, then, is that in spite of my personal feelings, all the bands on Hip Priest's list (and a few others I can't be bothered to name) could never live up to the hype that's thrown at them.

*Insert long drawn out rant about how the Beatles are the worst thing to happen to music ever*

The Fall, The Shaggs and The Monks are deserved of all praise thrown at them, and then some more. This is truth.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth