Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Let's massacre a band vol.1- The Melvins
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.16.2010, 04:10 PM   #21
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
The one time I saw Melvins was one of the most painful hours I've ever had in my 29year-long life.

thats pretty damning, ive not seen them live, why was it so bad?

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 04:10 PM   #22
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
At this point in this thread a group hug is urgently needed before we get back to the more serious matter at hand, which is reminding the internet about the shitness of The Melvins.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 04:11 PM   #23
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
I bow to your authority on the subject

good start.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 04:12 PM   #24
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
thats pretty damning, ive not seen them live, why was it so bad?

just plain fucking utter boring shit, since I fail at attempts for more accurate explanation.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 04:14 PM   #25
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
good start.

Its not a start, its the end.

Anyway, i have attempted to steer us back to Melvins. If Nik wants to evacuate his colon via his mouth any more then i guess we'll have to deal with it as it comes.

Old 02.16.2010, 04:19 PM   #26
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
i'm sure we should all be grateful your valaint efforts to reinstate this most important of discussions. love the shit joke, classic.
Old 02.16.2010, 04:21 PM   #27
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Quote:
i'm sure we should all be grateful your valaint efforts to reinstate this most important of discussions. love the shit joke, classic.

see thread title. Glad you like the joke sweet pea

Old 02.16.2010, 04:23 PM   #28
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
I've seen shittier.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 04:25 PM   #29
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Purely on a musical level, I find the heaviness and slowness of their sound to fall flat on its own arse without any sense of dynamics that their playing suggests at first listen. They drag the chords played to such soporific heights of nothingness, they invoke mind-numbness rather than malignant enjoyment. Ok, I run out of gay terminology here.
Old 02.16.2010, 04:27 PM   #30
ni'k
invito al cielo

Quote:
see thread title. Glad you like the joke sweet pea

reading that was one of the more distinctly uncomfortable moments of my time on this board. you win, your right about killing over a million innocent people to get rid of saddam being the right thing to do, your right about the melvins being shit, please, just don't talk to me like that again.
Old 02.16.2010, 04:27 PM   #31
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
They were fairly rockin' when I saw them, hence that I can't bring myself to sincerely call them shite. Had they been doing the sludge thing, I could probably have been more damning.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 04:29 PM   #32
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Purely on a musical level, I find the heaviness and slowness of their sound to fall flat on its own arse without any sense of dynamics that their playing suggests at first listening. They drag the chords played to such soporific heights of nothingness, they invoke mind-numbness rather than malignant enjoyment. Ok, I run out of gay terminology here.

I would say they invite you into a tryst via the depravity of their sound, and that tryst is a safe one due to the non-resolution of the player-listener relationship. But thats just me. I know Melvins are definitively crap, but that doesnt take me past liking them. I mean, you cant listen to Ashtray Navigations all day.

Old 02.16.2010, 04:31 PM   #33
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Quote:
reading that was one of the more distinctly uncomfortable moments of my time on this board. you win, your right about killing over a million innocent people to get rid of saddam being the right thing to do, your right about the melvins being shit, please, just don't talk to me like that again.

In fact i said neither of those things. I wouldnt mind you if you werent such a pansy about disagreeing with me in front of everyone as others do, but you decided to make your point in the comical world of "negative reputation" so frankly you deserve to be spoken to like "that"

Old 02.16.2010, 04:44 PM   #34
ni'k
invito al cielo

Quote:
In fact i said neither of those things. I wouldnt mind you if you werent such a pansy about disagreeing with me in front of everyone as others do, but you decided to make your point in the comical world of "negative reputation" so frankly you deserve to be spoken to like "that"

oh! now you've given me a good speaking too!

come on man, i neg repped you because i disagreed with what you said. and then you pm'ed me a reply on the subject, and threw a fucking hissy fit when you couldn't think of a reply to any of the arguments i was making, and tried this whole "your a pussy because you posted what i said in a pm on the board for everyone else to see". how the fuck does that make me a pussy, it's not like real life were you can get all physically aggressive with people. i know your pride was hurt but just get over it.

now please stop talking to me because i am so utterly bored of you.
Old 02.16.2010, 04:50 PM   #35
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Nick, have you stopped smoking completely?
Old 02.16.2010, 04:57 PM   #36
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Quote:
oh! now you've given me a good speaking too!

come on man, i neg repped you because i disagreed with what you said. and then you pm'ed me a reply on the subject, and threw a fucking hissy fit when you couldn't think of a reply to any of the arguments i was making, and tried this whole "your a pussy because you posted what i said in a pm on the board for everyone else to see". how the fuck does that make me a pussy, it's not like real life were you can get all physically aggressive with people. i know your pride was hurt but just get over it.

now please stop talking to me because i am so utterly bored of you you fucking idiot.

I responded to your points when i pmd you, thankfully you posted said response in the thread concerned so its all there in case anyone thinks im lying. The issue isnt about your opinions vs. mine, its personal, the thing that makes you a pussy is your unwillingness to argue with me in front of others and your wilingness to post a message i sent to you personally to buttress your point. You wanna disagree with me, fine, just stop being such a pointless div about it and just about everything else you post. Put me on ignore if its that hard for you.

Old 02.16.2010, 05:02 PM   #37
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Melvins are a pretty dead-end band. I like a bit of their stuff, I must say, but I hit a wall and need to move on to something else.

On the other hand, music judgment is a quixotic adventure. I really don't see the value in it. If the innate quality of shit is so self-evident within the band, why are there people who assert the contrary? They must, also, be shit people? Please, you sound like a goth.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 05:08 PM   #38
ni'k
invito al cielo

Quote:
I responded to your points when i pmd you, thankfully you posted said response in the thread concerned so its all there in case anyone thinks im lying. The issue isnt about your opinions vs. mine, its personal, the thing that makes you a pussy is your unwillingness to argue with me in front of others and your wilingness to post a message i sent to you personally to buttress your point. You wanna disagree with me, fine, just stop being such a pointless div about it and just about everything else you post. Put me on ignore if its that hard for you.

i really don't get what the fuck you are talking about. and would wonder how you could explain the logic that i can be a pussy for being afraid to argue with you in front of others when that is exactly what i did. by your own logic you are the pussy for taking an arguement that was happening on the board and trying to continue it in private. your just bitching that i posted my reply in the thread so you couldn't just tell me to fuck off in a pm reply. what you are saying doesn't make any sense. i mean really, like this makes me a pussy, the only thing annoying is your assumption that it might upset me to be called a pussy. i really doubt anyone cares but as you say they can go have a look at the posts. it's too bad you weren't able to argue your point and had to start this pointless back and forth dick fight by resorting to name calling. i know in real life you can devolve into just calling people pussies when they challenge what you say but thats the key to staying ignorant forever.

but this is so tiresome and i can not be bothered, please, no more.
Old 02.16.2010, 05:11 PM   #39
Seandi
stalker

Seandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's asses
Do a possible service to future generations and massacre the Pixies instead.
Seandi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 05:12 PM   #40
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Whenever I listen to the Melvins I think "but isn't this just Metallica - but shitter?" I can see the appeal. I can see the appeal of Metallica more. Not that I like Metallica. They just don't seem to hide their Metallica-ness behind anything other than a wall of Metallica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth