Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Odd Future thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.15.2011, 09:05 PM   #61
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
The beat on that new Tyler track is sick. Really really addictive.

Having said that, I kinda wish a gay rapper (or anyone, really) would step up and create a counterpoint/dialog to this bullshit empty shock posturing Odd Future seem to be getting away with. Why, lyrically, is talking about faggots and bitches still considered revolutionary? I don't buy this whole "I'm only mirroring my reality" bullshit anymore - there's an asymmetry to a lot of their lyricism that feels really tiring. And i say this as a die-hard hip hop fan. I guess there's been slightly less overt homophobia in mainstream rap and it now becomes acceptable and edgy to start railing against faggots? Whenever pitchfork indie culture machine et. al writes about hip hop, it's always treated as some kind of subaltern place, like they need to change their critical lenses or something since they're so unequipped, or they're afraid to touch on issues like political economy without it looking like white tastemakers admonishing "black art." I wish there were more artists producing WORK that critically engages with this stuff.

see? This is actually interesting feedback. Well articulated. Not just haterade. I can feel that.

I'm not sure Odd Future has a lot to do with "keeping it real" as much as they have to do with "keeping it really what's in our teenage daydreams" or whatever. It's all American Psycho and pr0n.

but I understand what yr saying.

I've actually wondered about the gay rapper thing. Is there such a thing? (I mean openly gay of course). I can't think of any. Which is not to say that they don't exist, but I mean just at any level of "overground" or at least minimally known-about underground... is there any openly gay rappers?

(go ahead -- insert Lil Wayne joke here. I beat you to it. Now let's get serious, cuz I'm really curious)
Old 02.15.2011, 09:14 PM   #62
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
I'm unaware of any. I'll have to be the first.

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2011, 09:16 PM   #63
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDsvbRYwG2A

Pick Up The Mic - Documentary about GLBT Hip-hop. I guess i have to watch this.

Old 02.15.2011, 09:52 PM   #64
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
it's weird that hip hop might be the only genre I can think of that nobody has come out of the closet. Don't you think that's weird?
Old 02.15.2011, 10:19 PM   #65
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

It's mighty peculiar. However, with it's many gang life and street life affiliations it makes sense. Typically these guys are in gangs before they even develop fully, and coming out of the closet isn't usually encouraged in gangs.

That's certainly not ALL hip hop but I guess it might make someone seem less 'hard'. I'm way more hard than most straight faggots I know, though.

Old 02.15.2011, 10:19 PM   #66
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

It's mighty peculiar. However, with it's many gang life and street life affiliations it makes sense. Typically these guys are in gangs before they even develop fully, and coming out of the closet isn't usually encouraged in gangs.

That's certainly not ALL hip hop but I guess it might make someone seem less 'hard'. I'm way more hard than most straight faggots I know, though.

Old 02.15.2011, 10:38 PM   #67
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
it's weird that hip hop might be the only genre I can think of that nobody has come out of the closet. Don't you think that's weird?

i haven't seen the interview but apparently fatlip admits to being bisexual
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2011, 09:35 AM   #68
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples
i haven't seen the interview but apparently fatlip admits to being bisexual

really?? Wow. Interesting. I had never heard that.

Wait, are you sure you're not confusing it with the interview where he admits that he unknowingly made out with a dude that was in drag? I remember that interview being on that Spike Jonze DVD. Part of the Making Of "What's Up Fatlip."
Old 02.16.2011, 10:18 AM   #69
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
tyler has said he doesn't hate gay people at all, he just likes the word 'faggot'. uhhh.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2011, 11:01 AM   #70
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
tyler has said he doesn't hate gay people at all, he just likes the word 'faggot'. uhhh.

well that was my understanding as well. I think it's a sort of ignorant/juvenile use of the word, which plays into their personas.
Old 02.16.2011, 11:07 AM   #71
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, he uses it in a meathead way that is no different from what exits the mouth of some troglodyte when he beats the fuck out of some gay kid on the street. After the 1950196th time you use it, you are complicit in the narrative of violence against queers that continues to oppress. Caricature or not. This shit applies to Odd Future as much as it does to fucking Francis Harold and the Holograms or Brainbombs. That narrative is still giving the average dumb consumer teenager in America a big high, like it empowers them, it's hard, they see it as something radical. I think Tyler should be free to say whatever the fuck he wants to - but there should be critical engagement. I'm not saying he IS 100% a homophobe, but I get a bit irked that he's blowing up along very old, very tired prejudicial tropes.

There ARE queer rappers. Queer cultural production is still pretty fringe, but in hip hop it's extreme. I know of House of Ladosha, Sissy Nobby and a lot of his crew from New Orleans, Le1f, Sin, Yo Majesty!, and a couple really local underground people in the NYC/Philly area who are very involved in the ball community (see: the film Paris Is Burning, an essential though dated film and I have issues with representations in it, but that's a whole other conversation). I think a lot of the gay MCs I've come across are speaking to a very local, exclusive audience - just by virtue of who is going to understand half the shit they're talking about. I'm gonna find some good tracks for everyone and post them here.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2011, 11:14 AM   #72
Adolfo
children of satan

Adolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's asses
"while you rhyme about being hardcore be heartcore."
Adolfo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2011, 12:12 PM   #73
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
really?? Wow. Interesting. I had never heard that.

Wait, are you sure you're not confusing it with the interview where he admits that he unknowingly made out with a dude that was in drag? I remember that interview being on that Spike Jonze DVD. Part of the Making Of "What's Up Fatlip."

well i haven't read where he says it, but apparently he has also admitted to sucking dick for crack,i've heard about that a few times but never found good info on it
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2011, 12:32 PM   #74
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I think I remember that being mentioned on the Spike Jonze DVD too. Maybe I'm wrong. It's been a lot of years.
Old 02.16.2011, 12:36 PM   #75
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples
well i haven't read where he says it, but apparently he has also admitted to sucking dick for crack,i've heard about that a few times but never found good info on it

Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2011, 08:16 PM   #76
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
I find the best thing to do with this issue is to imagine that 'G' always stands for 'gay', and then hip hop is instantly full of openly gay anthems.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2011, 09:21 PM   #77
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
I find the best thing to do with this issue is to imagine that 'G' always stands for 'gay', and then hip hop is instantly full of openly gay anthems.

hahahhaha that's hilarious.
Old 02.16.2011, 11:14 PM   #78
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

C'mon kids, fuck that class and hit that bong.

Old 02.17.2011, 07:04 AM   #79
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
'A true gay, that's me, blowing like a bubble'
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2011, 07:41 AM   #80
pad_023
the destroyed room

pad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's asses
Tyler and Hodgy Beats on Fallon

http://pitchfork.com/news/41608-watc...n-performance/

Its great
pad_023 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth