Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The comic book thread of comic books
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.15.2016, 10:27 PM   #41
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yep, but no site (not even the italian one linked from wikipedia) has info on the italian, 225-page, $7 kindle version.

see, some english translation/reprints had chopped off panels (sacrilege). there are also chopped "pocket" versions it seems.

don't know about this kindle or what's in it. there are no reviews or anything.

i'll just buy it to see and if it's fucked i'll return it

FINALLY, THE LEGENDARY CORTO MALTESE!

better be the right novel... the "look inside" feature just gives you 2 covers lol. i hope it's not a scam.

the original ballad of the salty sea had 161 pages, this is 255. hmm...

the $7 mystery! i'll pay to see that

Let me know. I'd love to have it. Even though I don't speak Italian, I'd pay $7 for it.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2016, 10:30 PM   #42
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Read Watchmen #3 and 4 tonight. Story is really getting heavy. It is tough to talk about such a lauded work without sounding obvious I suppose haha.
Old 11.16.2016, 10:49 AM   #43
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
watchmen is dense and worth reading and then re-reading again a year later. I have read the full thing 4 times.
Old 11.16.2016, 10:56 AM   #44
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
watchmen is dense and worth reading and then re-reading again a year later. I have read the full thing 4 times.

Yeah, but the movie is utter shit.

For a while I think I was Ok with the film. Second viewing proved it was slightly less ridiculously terrible and disgusting than I remembered it.

But then I re-read the book last spring, and it became even more clear how terrible (seriously, completely FUCKING ridiculous and insulting) the movie was. Holy shit. Insulting to the world, to Moore and Gibbons, to Leonard Cohen. All it had going for it was some nice sequences, but my god it fucking nearly killed Watchmen for me.

It also got Snyder the longstanding DC films job, so... y'know... fuck it.
Old 11.16.2016, 10:58 AM   #45
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Let me know. I'd love to have it. Even though I don't speak Italian, I'd pay $7 for it.

okay. i'll do that later but now i have to go buy a fridge. i really like home depot's "pre-black-friday" sales. i bought my kitchen stove for $250 that way haaa haaaa haaaaaaa.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2016, 10:59 AM   #46
Severian
invito al cielo

NOTE: Watchmen almost needs to be re-read. I'm not sure one time through is enough to pick up on how brilliant it is. If you're on your first time through, just plan on repeating in a coupe years.
Old 11.16.2016, 11:17 AM   #47
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
it feels that way. Like I'll get more out of it later.

I actually got the book, the movie, and digital comic in a big boxset for really cheap in an Amazon deal. I'll watch the movie when I'm done w/ the book. Then prob read the book again haha.

I don't wanna tell anyone how to spend their money, but I'd kind of super love it if you guys would buy like ONE new comic a week. I mean... a $3 investment? ("Less than a cup of coffee a week...") Would just be a lot of fun if some of you guys were tossing around impressions of new stories w/ me. Especially since I'm mostly reading new Marvel (and a bit of IDW) and am mostly missing out on the DC (and Dark Horse, and everything else) stuff.
Old 11.16.2016, 11:46 AM   #48
Severian
invito al cielo

I buy at least one comic a week and have since Rebirth launched.

It would be really nice if someone were to read Rebirth.

You need to read that Batman 2016 #1 by King and Finch.
And if you have any interest in any Rebirth titles you need to start out with DC Universe Rebirth (labeled #1 for some reason, but it's a one-shot universe wide intro to the new arc... it's where I got that screenshot of Batman and the Comedian button.)

Old 11.16.2016, 11:49 AM   #49
Severian
invito al cielo

Bitches guess whose hand that is coming out of the clouds!
Fucking you know whose hand that is. It's Dr. Fucking Manhatten. At least that's my opnion based on what I've read so far.
Old 11.16.2016, 11:50 AM   #50
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I'm stopping at the shop tonight. I'll look for that one.

I was going to read the Batman Rebirth(s) last night, but got sucked into Watchmen.

Alright - I'm glad you're keeping up weekly then; keep posting about these issues. It'll motivate me to check on more DC stuff probably.
Old 11.16.2016, 11:51 AM   #51
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Bitches guess whose hand that is coming out of the clouds!
Fucking you know whose hand that is. It's Dr. Fucking Manhatten. At least that's my opnion based on what I've read so far.

dude. This is cosmic. I read the Dr. Manhatten issue last night and it just really floored me.
Old 11.16.2016, 11:57 AM   #52
Severian
invito al cielo

Superman's having a VERY nice, classically tinged run right now in the Supes monthly.
Old 11.16.2016, 11:59 AM   #53
Severian
invito al cielo

Superman - check
Eradicator - check
Son of Superman? - check
Batcave on the moon? - check
Cybernetic Batsuit? - check
Old 11.16.2016, 12:25 PM   #54
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I actually own some recent DC stuff... I just haven't read any of it. I have Harley Quinn and Wonder Woman Rebirths #1... and the first two issues of Superman American Alien, off the top of my head.
Old 11.16.2016, 07:51 PM   #55
noisereductions
invito al cielo

so here's what I picked up tonight...

so excited for Jessica Jones #2

I loved Avengers 1.1, so I've been interested to read the new main series that just started as well. Reviews are meh, but I couldn't shake the curiosity.

sev: I told you I'd look for this one. My cover is different than yours since it's a later printing. Looks nice and beefy, though. I dig these longer one-shots.

as a huge TMNT fan, it's been killing me that I'm not reading the current main series. But instead of going back to #1, I decided to start with the current story arc so grabbed #61 (we're on 64 now).
Old 11.17.2016, 08:20 AM   #56
noisereductions
invito al cielo

read some of the stuff...

The Avengers #1 - interesting. I've heard a lot of folks say this one had some poor writing. I didn't really feel that way. I was a bit confused in part because I haven't been keeping up with all the Civil War II stuff, but I figured I'd just hang on for the ride and see how it goes. I wasn't as immediately attached to this one as Avengers 1.1, but I like it. And the art is excellent. I'll keep going w/ this series for a while.

Jessica Jones #2 - so good. First issue was just sort of a set-up, and I felt like not a lot happened. A lot happened here. No spoilers, but I really recommend this series for any Alias/JJ fans.

TMNT #61 - alright, it's my own fault. Maybe this wasn't a good jumping on point. I just felt pretty lost. There's several characters that I don't know who they are; apparently *someone* is dead and I kind of wished I hadn't hit that spoiler; Splinter is planning... an army? There's just kind of too much to jump into so late I'm thinking. Probably.
Old 11.17.2016, 11:51 AM   #57
Severian
invito al cielo

I kinda think the only TMNT worth reading is the original series from 1984 by Eastman and Laird. It ran until 2010, and now IDW has it (great publishing company! but I think the early volumes are the only ones I've enjoyed. Not that I've read it in ages.
Old 11.17.2016, 12:06 PM   #58
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I loved those early TMNT comics growing up, yup. The original run was the first TPB collection of comics I ever had as a kid.

Look, I'm kind of overboard when it comes to TMNT stuff. I always have been. Like, even my years where I thought "comics were for kids," I still followed a lot of TMNT stuff. I own all the movies, I own tons of the TV shows, etc. I just love the franchise in general.

I have mostly avoided the IDW main series, though. Which was bugging me. Because I HAVE been enjoying Batman/TMNT crossover as well as TMNT Universe, which is only 3 issues so far but I love it.

The new series (starting in 2012) is a reboot by Eastman. I read the first issue a while back... and then jumped to #61 haha.
Old 11.17.2016, 11:49 PM   #59
noisereductions
invito al cielo

so I read DC Universe Rebirth #1 and yeah... it's quite good. Without a doubt this is Doctor Manhattan. I mean, the overt Watchmen stuff and then the watches. It's clear. Which I'm excited about.

Also went ahead and read Watchmen #5 to move things along there.

#synergy.
Old 11.18.2016, 11:44 AM   #60
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I loved those early TMNT comics growing up, yup. The original run was the first TPB collection of comics I ever had as a kid.

Look, I'm kind of overboard when it comes to TMNT stuff. I always have been. Like, even my years where I thought "comics were for kids," I still followed a lot of TMNT stuff. I own all the movies, I own tons of the TV shows, etc. I just love the franchise in general.

I have mostly avoided the IDW main series, though. Which was bugging me. Because I HAVE been enjoying Batman/TMNT crossover as well as TMNT Universe, which is only 3 issues so far but I love it.

The new series (starting in 2012) is a reboot by Eastman. I read the first issue a while back... and then jumped to #61 haha.

I'm like that with Superman and Batman stuff.
Though I don't actually own the absurdly shitty Batman movies (Forever, & Robin), I do own VHS (ha!) and DVD copies of Burton's Batman and Batman Returns, as well (get this...) each of the Nolan movies individually in addition to the big deluxe BluRay box set of the three movies together with all the bonus material and the 60-page color booklet.
I think that probably qualifies as overkill in and of itself, but I ALSO own this big ridiculous hardbound Dark Knight Confidential promo book with files on all the villains, "Batman's" profiles of everyone from Beguns-Rising, and blueprints of all the Wayne enterprises gadgets, weapons and vehicles. Haha! Add that to my massive Batman comic and (yes, I'll admit it) NOVEL collection, and there's a strong case for overkill. I also own seasons 1 and 2 of Gotham even though I hate the show half the time.

But I think I really match your TMNT with my downright ridiculous Superman obsession-bordering-on-worship.

I have every Superman movie ever made.
I have the complete collection of the Superman: Last Son of Krypton radio show from the 1940s.
I have an extensive, though incomplete, collection of classic Superman cartoons (ever seen those old cartoons? That was the primary inspiration for Batman the Animated Series. 70 years old but BEAUTIFUL.)
I have the George Reeves Superman television collection.
I own and have read several Superman books, both fiction and non-fiction.
I have a few color test prints from '70s and '80s Supes comics, framed. Rare-ish but not worth a ton.
I have a collection of Superman comics that has sadly been scattered over three states but was once a mighty thing indeed.
I'm looking at Superman right now. Wall hanging.
I have Superman boxers. They have a little cape.
I have a collection of Supes buttons, toys and mini-comics.
I have a Superman wallet and keychain, baseball cap, countless shirts, pajamas...
I have the soundtracks to several Supes movies on cd or vinyl.

But I DO NOT OWN SMALLVILLE OR LOIS AND CLARK, and I never will, and nothing could possibly move me to watch either show (again), ESPECIALLY Smallville. FUCK that shit.
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth