Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page not going to college, so..
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.27.2010, 03:57 PM   #41
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I have been lead to believe that I "need" to go to college, I need to spend tons of money to do tons of work on nothing that particularly interests me... and I need to do it RIGHT NOW. Or in the near future.

I'm 20, I've been working at walmart for a year, making $8.80 an hour soon ($8.25 right now). I'm very skilled at computers, and I can actually type 149 words per minute. I was thinking of becoming a secretary... doing some kind of clerical work, something that wouldn't require college. So, I must ask of fellow sonic youth board members.. is it really okay to not go to college?

My girlfriend is going and she keeps pressuring me to go, because she thinks she's going to be a millionaire because she's studying chemistry. I constantly have to deflate her ego and explain to her that she may be going for chemistry but so are about a million other people and they're going to be competing for the same job as her.

I dunno.. I'm just at a crossroads of what I want to do, I work with some dudes who went to college and ended up working at walmart cuz they got paid more..

and even a guy I know who is serious about college has said that you're not going to be rich off of it, but you'll just probably end up doing a job you like a lot more than stocking, making about the same wage.. and if that's all it is, I don't think it's worth it.

What are your guys's views on college?

no. its not ok to not go to college. you have to go to SOME kind of college to get ahead unless you want to do immigrant work your entire life, thats what made me go back to school when I was 21, I was absolutely sick of doing undocumented work.

the trick is that you don't have to go to some bullshit expensive 4 year, in fact you can get a lot more out of a good local community college or trade school. for example, at a local community college you can get a certificate program for clerical work which can give you an edge over the competition. In business today, the clincher is college PLUS years of experience. You can have college, but without experience yr fucked, and you can have experience, but without college yr fucked, and so get both. the catch is college you have to apply yourself for and work at, where as job experience tends to flow naturally over time without so much constant effort.

I say seriously look into going to some kind of school, if not 4year, at least for a trade. it will be the ABSOLUTE best thing you can do for yourself.

Even if you stay at walmart you will get better pay and advancement after you finish school.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2010, 04:46 PM   #42
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I'm very much aware that further education won't land me an excellent job, but, tuition is free in Scotland so why not?
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2010, 05:08 PM   #43
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
I'm very much aware that further education won't land me an excellent job, but, tuition is free in Scotland so why not?
yes it will. put it this way, if you DONT go to college how will you ever land that excellent job when it finally arrives?

Old 05.27.2010, 05:08 PM   #44
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
no. its not ok to not go to college. you have to go to SOME kind of college to get ahead unless you want to do immigrant work your entire life, thats what made me go back to school when I was 21, I was absolutely sick of doing undocumented work.

the trick is that you don't have to go to some bullshit expensive 4 year, in fact you can get a lot more out of a good local community college or trade school. for example, at a local community college you can get a certificate program for clerical work which can give you an edge over the competition. In business today, the clincher is college PLUS years of experience. You can have college, but without experience yr fucked, and you can have experience, but without college yr fucked, and so get both. the catch is college you have to apply yourself for and work at, where as job experience tends to flow naturally over time without so much constant effort.

I say seriously look into going to some kind of school, if not 4year, at least for a trade. it will be the ABSOLUTE best thing you can do for yourself.

Even if you stay at walmart you will get better pay and advancement after you finish school.

There's no one way to do anything. College doesn't interest me in the least. I am planning on eventually getting some secretary work, perhaps even becoming a stenographer, since I type 149 words per minute. That's a $100,000 a year job you don't need to get a degree for! I'm one of the fastest typists in the WORLD! (172 was the world record last I looked)

My job will always be there, because Wal-Mart isn't out of business. I can take off whenever I want. Every 3 months, I've been getting a $350 bonus check, something called "profit sharing".

I'm doing good...

And yeah, symbol man, I definitely am there for my family, well.. my family is just me and my mom. I'm a good son/grandson, and a great friend. I always have been really good to people. I'm just highly opionated and pretty informed and knowledgable of lots of shit, so people on the internet think I'm a dick.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2010, 05:09 PM   #45
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
people on the internet think I am a pervert.
Old 05.27.2010, 05:10 PM   #46
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
There's no one way to do anything. College doesn't interest me in the least. I am planning on eventually getting some secretary work, perhaps even becoming a stenographer, since I type 149 words per minute. That's a $100,000 a year job you don't need to get a degree for! I'm one of the fastest typists in the WORLD! (172 was the world record last I looked)

My job will always be there, because Wal-Mart isn't out of business. I can take off whenever I want. Every 3 months, I've been getting a $350 bonus check, something called "profit sharing".

I'm doing good...

And yeah, symbol man, I definitely am there for my family, well.. my family is just me and my mom. I'm a good son/grandson, and a great friend. I always have been really good to people. I'm just highly opionated and pretty informed and knowledgable of lots of shit, so people on the internet think I'm a dick.

They had stenographer certificates when I was at the community college, all kinds of folks were into that shit, all the gigs required a certificate or degree MANDO..

look into, seriously, trade schools and community college certificate programs sound perfect for your goals.

Old 05.27.2010, 05:15 PM   #47
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I have never had anyone in my life tell me they were proud of me, and when I tell people I've accomplished something, they still try to make me do something different, or tell me where I can improve.

I'm glad, though.. it's made me work harder.

Old 05.27.2010, 05:25 PM   #48
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
you have the most posts in SYG, atsonic!
Old 05.27.2010, 05:26 PM   #49
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yeah...

Not the most rep though, damn you Rob.

I get repped every single day too.

I hope to be king of the rep by tomorrow.. my birthday. Haha.

I just try to be the best at shit.

Old 05.27.2010, 06:13 PM   #50
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
I read your first post and today's new stuff. So, not knowing what came inbetween, I'll say this:

I learned a lot in college and some of it was in a classroom. Like Rob said, its more about learning people and even learning learning (much more so than k-12).

There are some fields where a degree is useful/mandatory. And then, I worked at a place for 10 years and my boss said--'you have a degree?'

Getting a certification or some such, when not mandatory, may give you a better shot at a job than other candidates.

But being creative doesn't require a degree or certification. If that is working for you, give it your all.
Old 05.27.2010, 06:23 PM   #51
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, go to college and do something that interests you. It has to be better than Walmart.

When you're working in the field that you want and getting paid for it, than the only thing that beats that is getting paid really good money for it.

Quote:
But being creative doesn't require a degree or certification. If that is working for you, give it your all.

You can study something creative. A music course, a fine arts course, IT course, etc.
One of the great things about studying is the people and connections you meet.
Old 05.27.2010, 08:20 PM   #52
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
I have never had anyone in my life tell me they were proud of me, and when I tell people I've accomplished something, they still try to make me do something different, or tell me where I can improve.

I'm glad, though.. it's made me work harder.

I do believe you misunderstand me (and the self deprecating thread is here)

you are a cool cat with a lot on your mind and a lot of innovative and positive shit to contribute.. but check it, you asked, I advised, it was not to put you down in any way. Rather, I know you can handle the bullshit of going to college in the first place, and further I know a cat like you can really get your shit together to do something better, even if it is just at the walmart, so please don't mistake my pushing you in that direction as dissing you as unaccomplished or to spite you. Its not about where you CAN improve, its where I would think a person like you would have the most sucess AT improving in whatever it is you want to do. that key word is YOU, its irrelevant and even redundant what I might think, but for you, its a good opportunity. We in Rastafari are all about self improvement and working hard to get the best opportunity for advancement, upliftment and liberation. Education and a good trade are major part of self-sufficiency and even revolution.

Please don't think I-man intended and mash down, in fact it was a big up.

School is a good option. I was trying to present to you the reality of just how wide amount of realistic, everyday and even blue-collar opportunities there are at colleges/trade schools, cuz honestly most people discredit them and don't realize the potential, and I thought perhaps with what you are setting out for yourself, it was a good option.

I-man is the FIRST to say that college is by no means for everyone, and truly most people there don't need to be there, but that does not mean that there are not options for these people in advanced education. A 4year degree is not for everyone, but surly most and all can benefit from some advanced education, and certificate programs are very empowering.

take it for what its worth, its all love.

Old 05.27.2010, 08:22 PM   #53
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
hey man it's alright, i didn't even graduate high school and i'm ok
Satan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2010, 09:00 PM   #54
eternal
bad moon rising

eternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asses
i'm studying chemistry right now (because i truly love it and am fascinated by it) but i agree there are so many dumbfucks (especially in my faculty of science) who go to university solely because they think it guarantees them acceptance to a medical school, and a rich career in a discipline they know/care nothing about.

if you are good/enjoy working with computers, there's always the option of studying computer science? people that have a knack for computers can make ALOT of money in that field. At my school, comp sci internships are the highest in demand & get paid more than all the other sciences. Even something as basic as website design will pay a summer student well into the 5-figures, which is basically unheard of for an undergrad science summer job (i've learned all too well). above all, its a field that will not be slowing down anytime soon so jobs are pretty much always guaranteed.

sorry for the rant, just thought i would share that. i was thinking earlier today that if i hadn't picked chemistry, i would pick computers for sure since those dudes are raking in the cash. Its really not too hard if you're good with computers (which many forum-goers probably are)

EDIT: just to make clear, i'm not by any means trying to imply that school is the best choice. just giving the point of view of a current student
eternal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2010, 10:43 PM   #55
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
Yes, go to college and do something that interests you. It has to be better than Walmart.

he's already doing what interests him while walmart supports his vices.

i don't know why people feel the need to push him into the abyss of middle-class delusion.

recommend him some good books instead. they're free at the library.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2010, 10:58 PM   #56
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

i don't know why people feel the need to push him into the abyss of middle-class delusion.

not the direction I was aiming for at all, quite the opposite in fact. see, you are convoluting post-secondary education with middle-class bullshit, which

a) is obviously not true, in my experience poor folks are about equally a part of higher education

b) i was promoting certificates and trade schools (and not in a derogatory or condescending way) as a perfect alternative to that middle class naivete. shit I wish I would have just pursued a trade, but I am caught up in idealism and chasing the meal ticket through trying to teach somebody's kids to do right, but I'd probably be better off doing plumbing.

Old 05.27.2010, 11:41 PM   #57
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
atsonicpark, if it makes you feel good, i am proud of you.
seriously though, it blows my mind how much you can get done. i wish i could feel more creative nd do things, and you just do them. so good for you.

i personally am finishing my degree and starting my masters in the fall. i am studying usicology and literature. my masters i will will be doing in a personalized musicology program where i can do have of the credits outside of music, and i think i will do them in cultural studies and film, probably focusing on politics and soundtracks. but im not sure. obviously i am not doing these degrees as career moves. ill manage something. i might start working for some ngo next year and maybe make a career out of that.

but back to adam, maybe you should seriously get a stenographers certificate if it doesnt take too much of your time/money you might as well have it of that is a direction that you have thought about.

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2010, 12:07 AM   #58
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan

but back to adam, maybe you should seriously get a stenographers certificate if it doesnt take too much of your time/money you might as well have it of that is a direction that you have thought about.

agreed. thats what I was recommending

Old 05.28.2010, 12:08 AM   #59
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, i was reiterating that thought

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2010, 12:18 AM   #60
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
yeah, i was reiterating that thought
seen. thanks for reiterating, I think atsonicpark misunderstood my post, which sucks cuz I didn't want to trip him out, rather to encourage him. I been real down lately myself

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth