Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café II
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.16.2013, 09:49 PM   #81
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
While Afeni doesn't want to admit it, those remixes reflect HER interpretation of Tupac, and not necessarily Tupac's interpretation. True, about 50% of the Makaveli bootleg material is garbage mixed, and about 25% probably was just acapella tapes which were quickly remixed over some beats that Pac had never heard or had anything to do with. However, for a solid 50% of those bootlegs are outtakes and unreleased rough mixes, especially those with the Outlawz rapping, that most definitely reflect Tupac's style from 1994-1996 WAAAAAAY more than the legit reissued versions which came out later.

yeah that makes sense. It's tough for me though cuz I kind of hate bootlegs. But for sure, in this case the bootlegs are closer to the intended material. Though I do find the resulting uh "legit" releases interesting as counterpoint to the source material.
Old 02.16.2013, 10:01 PM   #82
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
yeah that makes sense. It's tough for me though cuz I kind of hate bootlegs. But for sure, in this case the bootlegs are closer to the intended material. Though I do find the resulting uh "legit" releases interesting as counterpoint to the source material.

I agree about bootlegs. I like true bootlegs (i.e. live concert recordings, preferably soundboard) but in regards to leaked copies, I usually wait for the better original mix to come out. However, sometimes leaks are better. For example, I still only listen to the leaked version of deftones White Pony, I think it is better than the final mix. I haven't heard it, but all the radiohead fans tell me the leaked Kid-A is WAY better than the later released version.

With the Makaveli bootlegs, bootlegs isn't the best name. They are more like the unreleased rough mixes that Eddie Kramer and Jeanne Hendrix later released, however in this instance, not quite legitimately. Again, I just can't even listen to those reissues, even though I want to respect Afeni on this one, artistically, I have to disagree regardless of the politics.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2013, 10:06 PM   #83
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
sometimes though I prefer the worse sounding "official" version cuz it's official. Like in the case of Deftones or Radiohead.

But in the case of 2pac it becomes a true dilemma for me. :\
Old 02.16.2013, 10:21 PM   #84
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
sometimes though I prefer the worse sounding "official" version cuz it's official. Like in the case of Deftones or Radiohead.

But in the case of 2pac it becomes a true dilemma for me. :\

I bought the legit White Pony. I just didn't like the mix. Further I almost cherish the leaked version for the sheer nostalgia of it. I was in high school and picked that up a month early like it was some kind of James Bond secret yo.

I say with the Tupac situation, that since you seem to already own the legit versions there should be no dilemma. You did your part. You contributed. The Amaru Foundation appreciates your donations. Now the fan of Tupac's art in you can also enjoy the "bootlegs" which to many and my own opinion, better reflect what the original artist would have wanted because again, at least half of the bootleg material are unreleased rough mixes that more than likely were directly as-is Tupac approved, whereas in my humble opinion having heard both, the legit reissued remixes sound like shit. They sound like mid-2000s rap, not mid 1990s-rap. It'd be like if Courtney Love had The Black Keys remix the Nirvana Box Set material

Old 02.17.2013, 10:20 AM   #85
noisereductions
invito al cielo

hahaha.

In fairness a lot of that Pac stuff gets overly dissed. I mean, Pac's Life and Loyal to the Game are pretty bad. But Better Dayz, Until The End of Time and R U Still Down are all pretty damn good collections -- so that's 6 discs of pretty quality material.

Maybe someday we'll see an overground release of the original bootlegs in a box or something.
Old 02.17.2013, 06:50 PM   #86
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
hahaha.

In fairness a lot of that Pac stuff gets overly dissed. I mean, Pac's Life and Loyal to the Game are pretty bad. But Better Dayz, Until The End of Time and R U Still Down are all pretty damn good collections -- so that's 6 discs of pretty quality material.

Maybe someday we'll see an overground release of the original bootlegs in a box or something.

I do have Better Dayz, R U Still Down, and of course Still I Rise but Until the End of Time is part of those mixes I don't like. To mid-2000s bumpin in the da club shit, not what Outlawz Immortal were doing from 94-96 which is what the rough mixes better reflect. Check out EVERY track from Until the End of Time but on the Makaveli Bootlegs versions and it is the perfect example of what is wrong with the remixed reissues than the leaked originals. Rough mix or not, the originals are so much better its like night and day. I can't honestly imagine Tupac approving of half the beats of the remixes than what was on the originals, as again the originals sound like that almost gothic, spooky, dark rap which was Outlawz Immortal (also think E-40 Element of Surprise era, Kool Keith as Dr Dooom, GraveDiggaz, Bone Thugz N Harmony, The Luniz, Scarface etc etc)..

Maybe Afeni just couldn't accept Tupac for who he really was, a straight gangster. N.W.A and Eazy E were fucking straight gangster, which is why Dre and Cube had to leave, cuz those two ninjas weren't gangsters, they were just rappers. Ruthless Records was about drug dealing and gang-banging, not just making records. DeathRow Records was about drug dealing and gang banging. Tupac joined M.O.B. Pirus. In fact Tupac as Makaveli the Don was part of the new generation of M.O.B., which changed the original meaning of MOB to Money Over Bitches and took over a few new blocks in Eastside Compton. Post-Makaveli MOB is entirely different set than the original MOB from the 1980s, and MOB youngsters still have Pac as their patron saint of sorts. The reality is that while Makaveli was a certified community activist and organizer and was involved directly in the 93 Peace Treaty and the Truce Picnic as well as other mediations, he was also sincerely gang affiliated which was of course his demise. Tupac fell into gang-banging for the same reasons a lot of original Panthers fell into gangs, as a form of penultimate political protest. In some circumstances, folks who are pushed too far by the situation retaliate and get into drug dealing and gang-banging as an alternative life-style. A literal "Fuck your world" and sabotage to the establishment in a truly devastating nihilism. Tupac fell int this surreality. Dead Prez straddle that line. Me, I dig the gangster Tupac mixes, because that is who Tupac was, and it doesn't negate his political or social commentary, if anything it accentuates it with authenticity. I don't think Afeni Shakur could accept that in her idealized remixes which :/

Old 02.18.2013, 07:03 PM   #87
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
i just gave it another listen and it's not that bad tbh. songs with Franky (Analog 2, White and Oldie) are obviously the standouts though. also Tyler and Earl are far better than the other "rappers" in that group.

Usher.. i love Confessions.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2013, 09:03 PM   #88
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I'm excited about WOLF, but I wasn't feeling OF Tape 2.

ATLiens is amazing.
Old 02.18.2013, 09:56 PM   #89
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I do want to hear OF (or specifically Tyler, Hodgie & Earl) do something really serious. I think they could blow some minds. Though I still think EARL and BASTARD are super solid records for real.

I can't hate on Miley cuz "Party In The USA" is still catchy as fudge.
Old 02.18.2013, 09:59 PM   #90
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
just out of the blue......"Da art of Storytellin" is my fav Outkast. just behind the whole ATLiens album.

and We Luv Deez Hoez always cracks me up.

Outkast night like every other night.

Do you mean the tracks part I and II from Aquemini or that fly as Rick the Ruler just up outta jail album?

ATLniens has some sick 1990s beats and is a much better evolution from Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik. Aquemini is the last good Outkast album before Dre lost his mind and went too Janelle Mon'ae on us

Old 02.18.2013, 10:59 PM   #91
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

don't be hatin on Miley, she is like a Disney Michael Phelps. I keep tabs on all the mainstream, successful, pot-smokers, and the Cyrus family is definitely high on that list.

Old 02.19.2013, 02:27 AM   #92
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
plus she dissed Jay-Z and likes Gucci Mane. i suppose she isn't that awful after all, for a manufactured popstar.
Old 02.19.2013, 02:35 AM   #93
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
nobody's hatin on Miley. Party in usa is catchy, but her thousaund facial expressions always got on my last nerve. i'm pretty sure Billy tokes too.

Phelps?!!?....he got the creeps and spilt after the first bong hit which makes him look like a light weight weaklin to look up to.hahha

Dude. If if it weren't for Ray Lewis getting in his head, Phelps probably wouldn't have even been motivated enough to go to the 2012 Olympics. Guy clearly is a toker, all the contrary apologies were to keep his 7 and 8 figure sponsors happy

Old 02.19.2013, 02:53 AM   #94
louder
invito al cielo

speaking of Disney babes, i can't wait to watch Harmony Korine's new film "Spring Breakers".

Old 02.19.2013, 02:36 PM   #95
louder
invito al cielo

have you guys already heard "Mirrors"? easily my favorite song of the year so far.
Old 02.19.2013, 06:47 PM   #96
noisereductions
invito al cielo

yeah Springbreakers looks awesome haha.
Old 02.22.2013, 04:33 AM   #97
louder
invito al cielo

new Ghost single is dope as fuck!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtHb0ALkFzo
Old 02.22.2013, 08:15 PM   #98
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I heard about it but didin't bother watching.

NEW Ghost? Awesome.
Old 02.22.2013, 08:52 PM   #99
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

did anyone see this? neither asap or danny had anything worth wild or interesting to say.

Is that Kathy Griffin?

By the way, so far I only really love one song from Long Live A$AP so far. None of it is bad, but only LVL is giving me the good old "this is the joint" tingles
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2013, 09:21 PM   #100
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

By the way, so far I only really love one song from Long Live A$AP so far. None of it is bad, but only LVL is giving me the good old "this is the joint" tingles

what, really? Man I love that album so hard. I've listened to it so much since it came out. Jeez, listened to it in its entirety even the last two days. So so good.
55 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth