Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café IV
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.13.2015, 07:17 AM   #821
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
TPAB is a good album of course. It just isn't doing much for me. I mean I'm still playing it shuffled w/ all the other recent releases tho.

Lupe has never really grabbed me. I like some songs by him. But never wanted to sit thru an album.

I Don't Like Shit is a great album.

If you want to see good interviews w/ A$AP Rocky, then you need to watch Suddenly, the documentary that Fuse did last year. It's great.

Anyway, I listened to Bush yesterday. It's good. Better than I feared anyway. I think that once the expectations were out of my head, it started to sound better. Like, what I wanted was Snoop rapping over Neptunes shit. I wanted an album of "Drop It Like It's Hot," "Beautiful," "From The Church," but that's not what this is. In fact, take a look at his resume. Snoop hasn't made a 'rap album' in a while.

SIDENOTE: I'm ok with that, to a degree. You have to admit that a fair share of Snoop's latter day work started to really blend together. Most of the work he did after No Limit say. You could easily confuse songs from Paid Tha Cost, Doggumentary, R&G, Ego Trippin, Malice... SOOOOO to see him just say "y'know what? I'm Snoop. I can do anything I want." is at least admirable. He could just coast in his comfort zone until retirement. Instead he's made 3 albums in a row now that are experimental and ignore the genre he's spent a career in.

So back to Bush: it's really not that much of a shocker after 7 Days Of Funk, y'all. And I mean Doggystyle is a G-Funk classic right? Why not want to go back and give homage to the samples? Meaning, I think Bush is basically Snoop's attempt at making a Parliament (et al) album. 7 Days hinted on this, but Bush is more sincere.

No lies - hearing Kendrick and Ross kill it on the closer certainly does make you wish for more rapping (and Snoop does drop a few verses throughout), but I still respect the grind here. And I liked (like really liked enough to say "I'd wanna hear that again") several songs here. And I enjoy the fact that it was kept to a nice brief 10-song svelte package instead of sprawling overkill (see: MOST Snoop albums).

So uh yeah. I guess I like this album then.
Old 05.13.2015, 08:34 AM   #822
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Bush is gonna get many plays in the car this summer.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2015, 08:42 AM   #823
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Bush is gonna get many plays in the car this summer.

yeah I can see that too. In the Summer when my wife and I are driving around hitting yard sales or going to the beach, we def do a lot of poppy shit. That's when I'll be in the mood for girl pop or electronic stuff or whatever.

The Springbreakers sndtrk is actually one of my favorite Summer albums of recent years. You got Skrillex & Cliff Martinez doing electro stuff, you got girl pop stuff like Ellie Goulding and then you got stuff like Gucci and Waka thrown in there. Such a good mix.
Old 05.13.2015, 10:00 AM   #824
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
BY THE WAY...

iTunes is having a mother. fucking. massive sale on hip-hop & rap albums of all shapes, sizes, eras, ages, styles & sub genres... I mean it, there's so much music on sale tha even if you don't use iTunes, you'll find something you want to buy.

I guess the value of this sale will vary from person to person depending on your music-buying preferences. Obviously if you're a physical copy nazi, it's no value at all, and would actually be several times as expensive as simply downloading albums for free from "those" sites.

But if you're like me, and you enjoy actually owning your music collection legally, but don't have the time to make as many record store runs as you used to, it's a pretty good compromise. Owning an album through iTunes is nothing like owning a slab of vinyl.... But it's better than simply being a copier of files.

ANYHOO.. $5.99 is the going rate, and that's comparable to a lot of used CD stores. Also, longer albums, newer albums, etc. are all lumped in with shorter albums and older albums... same price. Deluxe editions don't seem to be included, but there are tons of 2015 albums to choose from. There's g-funk shit, indie hipster hop, rising stars like Rae Sremmurd and Young Thug and Logic, old souls like Tupac, Tribe and Roots... good kid MAAd city and Yeezus are two of the first titles you're likely to see.

Want some Meek Mill?
Been needing to catch up with Run the Jewels?
Miss the Fugees?

I'm not trying to hype iTunes or apple here. In fact, $5.99 feels pretty pricey for a bigass sale. Especially when most people can stream everything at their bloody leisure now. But the selection is really quite impressive.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2015, 10:02 AM   #825
noisereductions
invito al cielo

yeah I tend to buy physical copies of hip hop, and Spotify tends to have me covered in in the digital realm these days. I used to buy digital albums (eMusic, iTunes, Amazon, Play) until Spotify came along.
Old 05.13.2015, 11:24 AM   #826
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
It is 2nd tier

But Lifetimes and Dynasty are 3rd tier

See, I was thinking:

Tier 1: (The perfect and near-perfect records. All of them rank among the best of all time.)
• WTT
• Reasonable Doubt
• Black Album
• Blueprint
• Blueprint III
• American Gangster

Tier 2: (The good to great albums, mostly. Starting out with Great, moving to good, ending with a couple genuinely fun and worth-having albums that are about 45% good, 30% middle of the road: not offensively bad, but definitely not truly good; 15% terrible & 10% brilliant... like "Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem)"

• Magna Carta Holy Grail
• Kingdom Come (hated by many, including Jay; loved by me)
• In My Lifetime: Vol.1 (overlooked by mainstream audiences; slammed by the "serious" fans except for me)
• Vol.2 Hard Knock Life
• Vol.3 Life & Times of S. Carter
• The Dynasty: Rock La Familia 2000

Tier 3: (the downright shitty ones. HUGE DIFFERENCE in quality between even the lower-raking Tier 2 records and the absolute best of this bunch... Makes me want to consider placing MCHG and Kingdom Come in #1)

• Blueprint 2/Blueprint 2.1
• MTV Unplugged
• Collision Course (W/ Linkin Park)
• Best of Both Worlds & Unfinished Business (w/ R. Kelly)

But... y'know... just one man's opinion. Those R. Kelly collabs could have been GREAT. Just think about "To The World" from Cruel Summer... One of the best Kanye tracks ever, even if it is a bit dumb. I'm sure HOV and Kelly could have made something more substantive than a two-part tribute to fucking dumb drunk bitches...
---
"Mitt Romney don't pay no tax!"
Old 05.13.2015, 12:55 PM   #827
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Tier 1: Classics
-Reasonable Doubt
-The Blueprint
-The Black Album
-American Gangster
-Watch The Throne

Tier 2: Good Solid Albums
-In My Lifetime Vol 1
-Volume 3 Life & Times Of S. Carter
-The Dynasty
-Unplugged
-The Blueprint 2
-The Blueprint 3
-Magna Carta Holy Grail

Tier 3: The Worst
-Streets Is Watching
-Volume 2 Hard Knock Life
-The Best Of Both Worlds
-Unfinished Business
-Collision Course
-Kingdom Come
Old 05.13.2015, 01:36 PM   #828
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
With fear of reading like a suchfriends quote-a-thon less of this Jay-Z talk please.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2015, 02:03 PM   #829
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
You must spread some reputation around before giving it to h8kurdt again

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2015, 03:01 PM   #830
noisereductions
invito al cielo

on this page alone I've talked about Earl, Snoop, Lupe, Kendrick and A$AP Rocky along w/ Jay-Z. I go where the conversation goes. If y'all want to discuss other rappers, then start that discussion instead of just saying "please stop talking about something I don't like."
Old 05.13.2015, 04:25 PM   #831
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
on this page alone I've talked about Earl, Snoop, Lupe, Kendrick and A$AP Rocky along w/ Jay-Z. I go where the conversation goes. If y'all want to discuss other rappers, then start that discussion instead of just saying "please stop talking about something I don't like."

Ah stop being a tight ass. It was clearly a light-hearted comment.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2015, 05:35 PM   #832
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I know. But i was trying to encourage more talk. Tightass.
Old 05.13.2015, 06:23 PM   #833
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
so you guys aren't gonna watch the Vince vid that i posted in the last page, huh.

video of the year, hands down.
Old 05.14.2015, 06:59 AM   #834
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I will watch it, louder. When I get a chance. Vince is awesome.

You guys, I've been listening to Blacc Hollywood again lately. I had forgotten just how much I liked that album. One of those "oh yeah I forgot about THIS song. I love THIS song!" albums. I feel like if I had spent more time w/ it last year it would have ended up in my Top 10.
Old 05.14.2015, 01:06 PM   #835
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I will watch it, louder. When I get a chance. Vince is awesome.

You guys, I've been listening to Blacc Hollywood again lately. I had forgotten just how much I liked that album. One of those "oh yeah I forgot about THIS song. I love THIS song!" albums. I feel like if I had spent more time w/ it last year it would have ended up in my Top 10.

Totally. I've liked that record since it dropped. I too forget about it. I bought so many hip hop albums last year in my attempt to fill the void left my the end of 2013, and Wiz got lost in the mix. But every time I spot the cover out of the corner of my eye, I think, "I should throw that shit on!"

Blacc Hollywood is solid. It's a marked improvement from his other major label releases, which weren't terrible, but did pretty much cost him his entire hometown fan base, since they sounded so generic compared to his early mixtapes. Blacc Hollywood was definitely a step in the right direction.
Old 05.14.2015, 01:14 PM   #836
Severian
invito al cielo

Last year was so weird. It wasn't until the year was over than I actually started to see some of the albums in a more favorable light.

Like, Cellar Door was my top hip-hop record of the year almost by default, mostly because I loved Indigoism SO much, and because Piñata didn't fully make sense to me until the very end of the year. In retrospect, as good as Cellar Door was, it was not as nuanced as I would have liked. Piñata was definitely the best hip-hop album of the year.. a modern day street rap masterpiece. Gibbs is such a strong emcee that he stole the show from madlib, which I resented at first, but now I just fucking love that record. #1 with a bullet. Underachievers ... Sorry bros, but you're #2. Next time try putting all your energy into one 15 track LP instead of two solo EP's and a 10 track LP. That was a rookie misuse of time and energy.
Old 05.14.2015, 02:17 PM   #837
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Tier 1: Classics
-Reasonable Doubt
-The Blueprint
-The Black Album
-American Gangster
-Watch The Throne

Tier 2: Good Solid Albums
-In My Lifetime Vol 1
-Volume 3 Life & Times Of S. Carter
-The Dynasty
-Unplugged
-The Blueprint 2
-The Blueprint 3
-Magna Carta Holy Grail

Tier 3: The Worst
-Streets Is Watching
-Volume 2 Hard Knock Life
-The Best Of Both Worlds
-Unfinished Business
-Collision Course
-Kingdom Come

I thought you liked Kingdom Come.

And I wouldn't include Streets is Watching. That's like... less than ½ Jay Z. And not in the same way as WTT and the other collabs, which feature Jay on every track. I would re-think including that.

Our top and bottom tiers are almost identical. I don't get how you can think of Blueprint 2/2.1 as anything other than complete and utter bullshit. I prefer to not even consider them proper Jay albums. Blueprint 2 should have been a true follow-up to Blurprint. Not just an opportunistic misuse of the iconic title.
Old 05.14.2015, 02:35 PM   #838
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I actually really enjoyed THEESatisfaction who opened for Sleater-Kinney a few weeks ago.. I initially didn't think I would check them out, but I got to the venue early and they were playing when i got inside. Actually pretty good! Very surprising, I don't generally think of the Pacific Northwest as any kind of hotbed for underground hip hop

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2015, 02:36 PM   #839
louder
invito al cielo

yeah Gibbs is a fucking beast. i'm a big fan, got Piñata on vinyl.

did you listen to that little EP he dropped this year? 3 incredible songs.
i feel like he doesn't even need Madlib anymore to make a great album.

Old 05.14.2015, 02:38 PM   #840
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I do like Kingdom Come... but I think it's in the bottom third of his work. I should say that even the ones in the bottom tier, I mostly don't think are terrible.

I know Streets Is Watching isn't really a Jay-Z album. But it's y'know... it's something I do think of when thinking of his discography. Like QB's Finest sticks in my mind as a Nas album, but it's not a Nas album.

Blueprint 2... I don't know how we hear that album so differently. It's overly long, yes. But it's got a ton of great stuff on there. The title track is a great example of a track that could have fit in perfectly on the first album. There's plenty on there that I love - and when that album came out I was so obsessed w/ it.
394041 42 43444552 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth