Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The Band Most Influenced by Sonic Youth?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.25.2009, 02:52 AM   #41
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
Blonde Redhead are total Sonic Youth knock-off. I do like them though.

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2009, 03:56 AM   #42
ember
empty page

ember has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Deerhunter. Critics love them for their 'innovative and experimental' sound. But the first thing I thought when I heard them was: early Sonic Youth. http://www.myspace.com/deerhunter
ember is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2009, 06:58 AM   #43
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
So many! But yeah, the obvious Pavement, Unwound, Polvo...
notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2009, 07:25 AM   #44
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenning
I think most bands influenced by Sonic Youth know better than to imitate their sound. It's more the spirit of the thing. I think Kim Gordon's influence on Bikini Kill and other grrrl bands is huge. My Bloody Valentine were clearly listening to American bands like Husker Du and Sonic Youth when they transformed from a twee pop act into their beloved shoegaze combo. The post-rock scene owes a lot to them. Nirvana, Mudhoney, and a bunch of other "grunge" bands.

The most? My Bloody Valentine, without Sonic Youth, would sound a lot more like Zen Arcade than they already do.
I like this post, especially the first sentence.

I'd also like to say that using alternate tunings is not ripping off SY, they don't hold copyright over that. I personally think that alternate tunings create infinitely more possibilities with guitar music than standard tuning. I think it was Lee who said something along the lines of "When you play a guitar in standard tuning, things sound pretty...well...standard"
Old 06.25.2009, 08:15 AM   #45
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sy2004
funny, some informed me about this one not so long ago somewhere else

Played with them a while ago - weird that they're taking off. they were fun. one of the guys was in a great band called pest exhibition i think, i never got to check them out live though.

In regards to Action Beat

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth