Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page ATP festival!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.11.2006, 04:03 PM   #81
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2006, 04:04 PM   #82
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 12.11.2006, 04:04 PM   #83
jon boy
invito al cielo

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 12.11.2006, 04:05 PM   #84
jon boy
invito al cielo

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 12.11.2006, 04:06 PM   #85
Kyohan
bad moon rising

Kyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushmanski57@hotmail.com

By the way, I read on the Dinosaur Jr. message board that Lee came out and sang on Little Fury Things! Did anyone see this/record it??!?!?!?!

Yep, he did on Saturday for the first Dinosaur show. It was great Unfortunately he didn't repeat it for the Sunday set.
Kyohan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2006, 04:08 PM   #86
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushmanski57@hotmail.com
Wow, those are awesome reviews! Sounds like a great time!

By the way, I read on the Dinosaur Jr. message board that Lee came out and sang on Little Fury Things! Did anyone see this/record it??!?!?!?!
Again, wait for Moshe's return. He has a pretty damn cool story about this.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2006, 04:24 PM   #87
Bastian
bad moon rising

Bastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's asses
We've seen Lou, J and Murph today, at Bristol airport. They were checking in and had their guitars and equipment with them.. some guy had them sign his ATP booklet.
Bastian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2006, 04:37 PM   #88
o o o
the destroyed room

o o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asses
the first surprise of the weekend for me was to discover that sonic youth were apparently on the same train from London to Taunton as me... when we arrived in Taunton, we some guy holding a sign with "Sonic Youth" written on it and we thought it was a joke... but then we saw them apparently waiting for a car to pick them up...
o o o is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2006, 04:42 PM   #89
satirejohn
bad moon rising

satirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
A pic of the Friday setlist has already been posted. I think Moshe has Saturday's, but it'll probably be a day or two before he can post it as he's probably still on the way home at the moment.

oh i totally missed that.. that set has some cool tunes on it (3 from sister!) , but it looks very short and I really wanna see something from EVOL in Berlin! hmm looking forward to seeing the saturday set.
satirejohn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2006, 04:49 PM   #90
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, the shortness of the set was rather disappointing. SY were playing at the same time as Charalambides - I had a brief chat with Kim earlier in the evening, and she said that she was disappointed not to be able to see them play (I suggested she get the guys to go into a long noise jam and she sneak off to catch Charalambides). Thurston later joked about the same subject at the end of the encore, saying that everyone could go and see Charalambides now - I doubt that's the actual reason for the shortness of the set, but you never know.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2006, 04:51 PM   #91
jon boy
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by o o o
the first surprise of the weekend for me was to discover that sonic youth were apparently on the same train from London to Taunton as me... when we arrived in Taunton, we some guy holding a sign with "Sonic Youth" written on it and we thought it was a joke... but then we saw them apparently waiting for a car to pick them up...

haha yes i think there were a few people on that train. iain was one of them too i think.

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 12.11.2006, 04:56 PM   #92
jon boy
invito al cielo

sy set (friday) wasnt as good as other times i have seen them but wasnt that bad. i was dissapointed though as it seemed to run out of steam towards the middle and end quite quickly. the energy didnt seem to be there for them and i really wanted to see charalambides. still too bad and i cant complain as i had a great weekend, apart from the ques.

other highlights were the new blockaders and corsano flaherty were really good. mv/ee were good but even better with corsano on drums and hair police impressed too.

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 12.11.2006, 05:09 PM   #93
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Corsano rules... period.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2006, 05:55 PM   #94
Bastian
bad moon rising

Bastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIa4591Y8uk
Just uploaded a little video of Bark Haze @ATP
Bastian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2006, 08:21 PM   #95
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Highlights: Dead C, Mouthus, Double Leopards, Skaters, Eye/Gustaffson, Monotract

Pretty much everything I saw was decent... I wasn't really into Nurse with Wound at all... it probably didn't help that they were playing on the huge, brightly illuminated main stage in the early afternoon..

Wolf Eyes was the loudest damn thing..

chilling with Toxic J was fun; that guy rules..

I caught SY on Friday as well and would agree that they seemed a bit subdued.

I was really looking forward to Markers, probably a bit too much. Their set was decent but I had such high hopes I couldn't help but be disappointed by the absence of really aggressive skronk/audience confrontation..

i have a buncha sweet pics that i'm gonna upload soon
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2006, 08:23 PM   #96
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy

That pic reminds me of the last time i saw him live,somehow.Looking forward to the gig on Sunday you lucky bastards!Great stuff all over this thread.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2006, 08:28 PM   #97
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Can somebody give a more detailed account of the Nurse With Wound gig?I suppose i might have to wait till Nefeli is online for that.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2006, 09:45 PM   #98
Katy
the destroyed room

Katy kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's asses
Hey, sonicl.. sorry I got cut off talking to you on the phone on Friday, I ran out of change. Fuckin phones.

The weekend would've been better if I'dve had more money all round. I spent way too much time drooling over the merch tables. And thinking about how much I was not drinking, smoking, gambling or eating.

The epic queueing and chucking outing was fucked up. I couldn't beleive that. I never had to queue once for anything when ATP was at Camber Sands. And I certainly never got asked to vacate a venue to make way for other people. I saw and talked to a lot of very fucked off folk for three days. The booing when they closed the doors for Deerhoof on Friday (to all the people who already weren't allowed in to see SY or The Stooges) said a lot. As did the big "HONK IF YOU HATE QUEUEING" sign someone made and erected outside the main venue... but, pssh, whatever. They weren't kidding when they wrote "arrive early to avoid disappointment" in the booklet.

Don't really know why i'm moaning so much.. maybe it was the weather (cold, wet, windy.. the heater in the chalet didn't work and the TV wouldn't tune in to the two festival channels... whinge, piss, moan, whinge..)

THE STOOGES on Sunday night were my highlight. They made up for everything. I touched Iggy (didn't try to stage invade though.. I still have a dent in my head from attempting that the last time.. kudos to those who made it though. That was one of the funnest stage invasions I've seen.. that girl who was humping Iggy was funny.. and the Santa who started doing push-ups? Also very funny. You could tell Iggy loved the energy. Some people get up there and don't know what to do or just start taking pictures.. not the ATP invaders! they were a fucking riot. Well done.) Oh and I got a lovely smile from Iggy when I blew him a kiss. Ahh.. I get all goosebumpy just thinking about it.

Awesome Color were awesome. Their camera pal with the smashed in head (he "took a chandelier to the head for the team") was really friendly and cool. Talked ot him at the merch table for a while. He showed me his head boo-boo. Ouch. ROCK.

16 Bitch Pile-Up were my favourite (after The Stooges). Gave the middle Sarah (bass) a big ol hand smooch at the end. Loved it. Wish more than anything I could've afforded a 16BPU teeshirt. AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Wolf Eyes: LOUDER than thou.

My Cat Is An Alien: Also loud. Very quiet and sweet in person though. Best and most varied merch by far. My purse ached everytime I went near.

Saw Thurston walking around A LOT. Wearing a neon orange cap at 6ft-whatever he was hard to miss.. especially when tailed mostly by mini entourge of camera people.

Saw Lee and Kim and King Buzzo and (briefly) Mike Watt around too. And, someone confirm or deny this for me, was one of Iggy's side-stage guests Peaches? I swear it was she...

I took some pictures (no digicam.. I'll pick them up (old skool) tomorrow from the developing place. Two disposables worth. Probably nothing good. But I can't really remember much of what I snapped besides Iggy..

I've got "I'm the king of the swingers" from the Jungle Book in my head. Weird that that's the music that most sticks from the weekend.. (from all the arcade machines.. that and the "Winnie The Pooh" theme tune.)
Katy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2006, 10:22 PM   #99
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
haha yes i think there were a few people on that train. iain was one of them too i think.

Yep...I sat to across the aisle and back one row from Thurston and Kim and across the aisle from Byron Coley and Lee. It was a bit odd and I didn't talk to them because I didn't really have anything to say. Thurston got in my way when I came back from the toilet and the other guy that was with them asked me to pass a coat from the rack above the seats which I think was Thurstons. Also Lee and Byron were talking trash about My Chemical Romance because they were reading an interview with them where they said that the soundtrack to Dune was the best piece of music ever or something. AMAZING GOSSIP HUH?

I saw loads of people from the bands walking around...probably pretty much all of them and also some people like Larkin Grimm who wasn't playing. She seemed to be at all the noise sets with her hands clamped over her ears.

Also, just got back from seeing Sunburned/Six Organs/Josephine Foster/Richard James which was really fantastic. It was great to be able to see Six Organs up close and I enjoyed it much more than the bit of their set I caught at ATP. Sunburned were also really fantastic again but really different from last night. There was only 5 on stage and they started with quite soothing/droney electronics and started up a beat and got into a groove, despite the absence of their bassist, and went into some almost thrashy/punky bits. Also had another chat to John Moloney and he was really nice and gave me a cdr and an ecstatic peace sticker and said that they were going to take a break from touring for 6 months, in Europe at least, because he played 150 shows this year and his hearing was fucked up.

And also I only got 3 hours sleep last night and was going to have a nap this afternoon but didn't and then had a cup of tea which sorted me out but maybe it was the fried breakfast which Naomi kindly bought me In a Taunton cafe which was entirely populated with ATP people. And then I was fine when I went out and felt really awake all night and it was really nice to go and see just 4 bands in one day with my friends who aren't really that into a lot of that kind of stuff but liked it anyway...and telling them about ATP and then all laughing a lot because they were pretty drunk and making wild plans for New Years Eve and then going to Adonis for a Falafel...and agreeing to buy a battered accordian from my housemates brother for cheap after christmas and then going home where I am now (although the accordian talk was earlier, I messed up the timeline a little). And now it's 3am and I'm pretty much awake but really looking forward to a good nights sleep in my own bed which is wider than a plank of wood.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2006, 10:39 PM   #100
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
I'm less than concerned. I just miss Cantanky.
god damn, you should have been there. it was so great. I HAVE RELINQUISHED MY HATE OF DINO JR. AFTER SEEING THEM LIVE.

being stateside again sucks but i have some chocolate pretzels so it's all good in the hood.
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth