Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Check our cool documentary-Girls Rock!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.08.2006, 02:33 PM   #21
girlsrockmovie
empty page

girlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to behold
Wow, I'm amazed by all the negativity in this thread, and honestly it just reaffirms why this camp is so necessary. Guys, for the most part, are ignorant fucks when it comes the life of girls in this culture. Most wouldn't know what it means to be a girl if they were forced to answer with a gun to their heads. I know, because I'm a guy and I made this movie and I was an ignorant fuck too. Anyone who looks at a trailer and a tagline and starts making up all kinds of stupid crap up about how corny and cliche the whole enterprise is, is obviously already carrying around the kind of crap that girls have to confront everyday. This kind of alacrity to shut down anyone who dares to assert that girls are worth celebrating is alarming, especially on a site dedicated to a band that has helped to break down so many barriers. Do any of you even know who Kim Gordon is for chrissake? For all of you who think it's all the same, and doesn't matter if it's boys or girls or whatever stupid shit, when we called Sonic Youth to license a song for our documentary, we were actually accidentally given Kim Gordon's home number. She called us back, and after telling her about the project, she actually brought up the fact that we were asking to license Sugarcane, which doesn't feature her singing. "Kind of ironic that it's a song a guy is singing, doncha think?" she said. We were shocked we hadn't thought of that, had just been looking for some feedback sounds. So we picked Kool Thing instead.

On top of that, Sonic Youth is a big supporter of the camp.

I guess alot of you aren't really here cause you're Sonic Youth fans, so that kind of thing probably won't matter to you much, that Kim Gordon herself would be aware of the need to feature female voices. Maybe you should email her directly and tell her you wish she'd stop supporting girls. Better yet, since it's so easy to be courageously "critical" and outspoken on the internet, why don't you try yelling some of this crap at her at the next Sonic Youth show you go get baked at?

For the woman who went to Ladies Rock Camp, cheers for being the dissenting voice in this load of adolescent crap, sorry it took me so long to get back here and get your back. I had no idea that a band as thoughtful, revolutionary and against the grain would inspire such an insipid and culturally mainstream bunch of Maxim-fed piddle.
girlsrockmovie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2006, 02:54 PM   #22
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
I'll drop the guitar store thing because it was my own personal experience and my own impressions, which could very well be misplaced, but the fact that not one person could concede that there's a possibility that the guy treated me that way because I was a girl is at least a little bit surprising. Instead I get to be psychoanalyzed by strangers that it's more plausible that it must be my shyness and insecurity that cause this insane delusion. But I'm sticking to my delusion.

I hope a ton of shy and insecure girls go to this camp after this movie and get the chance to overcome these (female?) character flaws through music the way that I did.
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2006, 03:58 PM   #23
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Guys, for the most part, are ignorant fucks when it comes the life of girls in this culture.

"For the most part" depends on which group of guys and what year(s) you are referring towards there.

The negativity you are picking up on is fairly commonplace here, but it would help your cause if you were clearer on a number of points. You honestly come off as a fairly cheesy person.

I'm sure you'll make time for The Slits and Patti Smith Group, naturally.
I'll wait until this documentary comes out and there's no Yoko Ono, The Runaways, Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, Kate Bush, Laurie Anderson or Yoshimi in this movie. Then, I'll use my negativity to further elucidate on how you are ignorant.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2006, 04:03 PM   #24
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsrockmovie
Wow, I'm amazed by all the negativity in this thread, and honestly it just reaffirms why this camp is so necessary. Guys, for the most part, are ignorant fucks when it comes the life of girls in this culture. Most wouldn't know what it means to be a girl if they were forced to answer with a gun to their heads. I know, because I'm a guy and I made this movie and I was an ignorant fuck too. Anyone who looks at a trailer and a tagline and starts making up all kinds of stupid crap up about how corny and cliche the whole enterprise is, is obviously already carrying around the kind of crap that girls have to confront everyday. This kind of alacrity to shut down anyone who dares to assert that girls are worth celebrating is alarming, especially on a site dedicated to a band that has helped to break down so many barriers. Do any of you even know who Kim Gordon is for chrissake? For all of you who think it's all the same, and doesn't matter if it's boys or girls or whatever stupid shit, when we called Sonic Youth to license a song for our documentary, we were actually accidentally given Kim Gordon's home number. She called us back, and after telling her about the project, she actually brought up the fact that we were asking to license Sugarcane, which doesn't feature her singing. "Kind of ironic that it's a song a guy is singing, doncha think?" she said. We were shocked we hadn't thought of that, had just been looking for some feedback sounds. So we picked Kool Thing instead.

I guess alot of you aren't really here cause you're Sonic Youth fans, so that kind of thing probably won't matter to you much, that Kim Gordon herself would be aware of the need to feature female voices. Maybe you should email her directly and tell her you wish she'd stop supporting girls. Better yet, since it's so easy to be courageously "critical" and outspoken on the internet, why don't you try yelling some of this crap at her at the next Sonic Youth show you go get baked at?
For the woman who went to Ladies Rock Camp, cheers for being the dissenting voice in this load of adolescent crap, sorry it took me so long to get back here and get your back. I had no idea that a band as thoughtful, revolutionary and against the grain would inspire such an insipid and culturally mainstream bunch of Maxim-fed piddle.

(i am a girl and) I like alot of the idea's behind this and i agree with alot of what you have to say, but dont come onto our message board and be so fucking rude to us. FUCK OFF!!!!!!!!! twat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall91
hey all you haters. i've never been one to be called a feminist, but if you're a girl and you walk into a big guitar store, you will soon find out that the people who work there pay you a whole lot less attention and certainly give you a lot less respect.

you are only getting less respect because you don't demand it. If you act like a little shy girl then most men will treat you that way.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2006, 04:23 PM   #25
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I guess alot of you aren't really here cause you're Sonic Youth fans, so that kind of thing probably won't matter to you much, that Kim Gordon herself would be aware of the need to feature female voices.

On behalf of the board, WE ARE FAMILY. Whether we're Sonic Youth fans or not, we all once were (or still are like me), that's what connects us all.

I meant to neg rep you, but I accidentally brought you to 5 bars. Cheers!
Old 12.08.2006, 04:27 PM   #26
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
On behalf of the board, WE ARE FAMILY. Whether we're Sonic Youth fans or not, we all once were (or still are like me), that's what connects us all.

I meant to neg rep you, but I accidentally brought you to 5 bars. Cheers!

We are a big dysfunctional family.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2006, 04:34 PM   #27
girlsrockmovie
empty page

girlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
"For the most part" depends on which group of guys and what year(s) you are referring towards there.

The negativity you are picking up on is fairly commonplace here, but it would help your cause if you were clearer on a number of points. You honestly come off as a fairly cheesy person.

I'm sure you'll make time for The Slits and Patti Smith Group, naturally.
I'll wait until this documentary comes out and there's no Yoko Ono, The Runaways, Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, Kate Bush, Laurie Anderson or Yoshimi in this movie. Then, I'll use my negativity to further elucidate on how you are ignorant.

Hey, I'm a big fan of all the above women...Been to see Patti and Laurie Anderson in concert many times, but this movie isn't about them. It's about the girls at the Rock 'n' Roll Camp for girls. The bands I mentioned are just on the soundtrack, and they were picked because their songs fit a particular moment in the film, not because we're ignoring anyone. In fact, most of the music in the movie comes from the girls.

And I've been called many terrible things in my life, but "cheesy"? Wow, that hurts. And thanks for deciding ahead of time that I'm ignorant, and then going to see the movie to support that.
girlsrockmovie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2006, 04:39 PM   #28
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by static-harmony
We are a big dysfunctional family.

quoted for truth
Old 12.08.2006, 04:40 PM   #29
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
If you act like a little shy girl then most men will treat you that way.

Can someone please explain to me where I am represented as a little shy girl? I'm not getting that. One stranger labels me that way, and another assumes it to be true.
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2006, 04:49 PM   #30
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I was wondering if that was the case. It's only about the girls at the rock camp then. Good luck with that. I suppose your distributors and/or investors are really keen on suicidegirls.com or something.
Old 12.08.2006, 04:58 PM   #31
Better_Than_You
the destroyed room

Better_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Guys, for the most part, are ignorant fucks when it comes the life of girls in this culture. Most wouldn't know what it means to be a girl if they were forced to answer with a gun to their heads. I know, because I'm a guy and I made this movie and I was an ignorant fuck too. Anyone who looks at a trailer and a tagline and starts making up all kinds of stupid crap up about how corny and cliche the whole enterprise is, is obviously already carrying around the kind of crap that girls have to confront everyday. .

I think that this has all ready been said before, but fuck it I'm saying it again.

I have a vagina and there's only been a few times that I've been treated differently because of it. But thats not uncommon. Prejiduce based on skin, gender, race, or culture isn't uncommon at all and, yeah, thats sad but we're human. Humans do shit like that... and the more people pout about it the more ignorant others are going to become.

I hardly ever confront sexist jerks (its faaar away from being daily), and frankly I could careless when I do. I strongly believe in karma and its usually the sexist jerks that don't get pussy untill college anyway.

Better_Than_You is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2006, 05:02 PM   #32
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better_Than_You
I think that this has all ready been said before, but fuck it I'm saying it again.

I have a vagina and there's only been a few times that I've been treated differently because of it. But thats not uncommon. Prejiduce based on skin, gender, race, or culture isn't uncommon at all and, yeah, thats sad but we're human. Humans do shit like that... and the more people pout about it the more ignorant others are going to become.

I hardly ever confront sexist jerks (its faaar away from being daily), and frankly I could careless when I do. I strongly believe in karma and its usually the sexist jerks that don't get pussy untill college anyway.

And the is when they spike the girls drink and date rape her.

Old 12.08.2006, 05:03 PM   #33
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I think you posted at the wrong time. The board is going through one of its negative ignorant periods at the moment. (This doesn't apply to evrybody of course).

Good luck with the project.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2006, 05:06 PM   #34
Better_Than_You
the destroyed room

Better_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by static-harmony
And the is when they spike the girls drink and date rape her.

Exactly!

You know this from experience, I'm sure.

Old 12.08.2006, 05:08 PM   #35
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
it is like that everywhere. women are treated as a JOKE when they try to rock, and you know it man.

more power to them, shit, I wish I was at a rock camp

and SCHOOL OF ROCK RULED ALL!!!!

Old 12.08.2006, 05:08 PM   #36
static-harmony
invito al cielo

Sorry I am gay I don't touch chicks.

I want to see this movie, I have not said anything negative about it.

Old 12.08.2006, 05:13 PM   #37
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
for real though, best of luck with the project and all future projects and here's to more women ROCKING

SONIC LIFE
Old 12.08.2006, 05:17 PM   #38
Better_Than_You
the destroyed room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
it is like that everywhere. women are treated as a JOKE when they try to rock,

Thats not true. Maybe where you're from, but where I'm from women are treated fairly equal to men when it comes to bands.

Even though most of the local bands equally suck and are equally treated as a joke, ragaurdless of the number of cocks and pussies in the band.

Old 12.08.2006, 05:27 PM   #39
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

you are lucky
Old 12.08.2006, 06:04 PM   #40
atari 2600
invito al cielo

The comments I made came from a place of ignorance because I didn't really read girlsrockmovie's posts carefully. I was trying to write while doing something else at the same time and was in a rush. I should have waited until I had time to read properly. Instead, I was going by the replies in the thread too much. I still don't like the soundtrack choices (the only one worth a damn is Sonic Youth - Kool Thing), but fluff sells, so what is one to do?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth