Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Marcus Garvey's Appeal to The Soul of White America
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.18.2006, 05:35 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Youngstown, Ohio, October 2, I923 An Appeal To The Soul Of White America

Surely the soul of liberal, philanthropic, liberty-loving, white America is not dead. It is true that the glamour of materialism, has, to a great degree, destroyed the innocence and purity of the national conscience, but, still, beyond our politics, beyond our soulless industrialism, there is a deep feeling of human sympathy that touches the soul of white America upon which the unfortunate and sorrowful can always depend for sympathy, help, and action.
It is to that feeling that I appeal at this time for four hundred million Negroes of the world, and fifteen million of America in particular.
There is no real white man in America, who does not desire a solution of the Negro problem. Each thoughtful citizen has probably his own ideas of how the vexed question of races should be settled. To some the Negro could be gotten rid of by wholesale butchery, by lynching, economic starvation, by a return to slavery and legalized oppression; while others would have the problem solved by seeing the race all herded together and kept somewhere among themselves, but a few those in whom they have an interest should be allowed to live around as the wards of a mistaken philanthrophy; yet, none so generous as to desire to see the Negro elevated to a standard of real progress, and prosperity, welded into a homogeneous whole, creating of themselves a mighty nation with proper systems of government, civilization, and culture, to mark them admissable to the fraternities of nations and races without any disadvantage.
I do not desire to offend the finer feelings and sensibilities of those white friends of the race who really believe that they are kind and considerate to us as a people; but I feel it my duty to make a real appeal to conscience and not belief Conscience is solid, convicting and permanently demonstrative; belief, is only a matter of opinion, changeable by superior reasoning. Once the belief was that it was fit and proper to hold the Negro as a slave and in this the Bishop, Priest and layman agreed. Later on they changed their belief or opinion, but at all times the conscience of certain people dictated to them that it was wrong and inhuman to hold human beings as slaves. It is to such a conscience in white America that I am addressing myself.
Negroes are human beings -the peculiar and strange opinions of writers, ethnologists, philosophers, scientists and anthropologists notwithstanding-they have feelings, souls, passions, ambitions, desires, just as other men, hence they should be considered.
Has white America really considered the Negro in the light of permanent human progress? The answer is NO.
Men and women of the white race, do you know what is going to happen if you do not think and act now? One of two things. You are either going to deceive and keep the Negro in your midst until you have perfectly completed your wonderful American civilization with its progress of art, science, industry and politics, and then, jealous of your own success and achievements in those directions, and with the greater jealousy of seeing your race pure and unmixed, cast him off to die in the whirlpool of economic starvation, thus, getting rid of another race that was not intelligent enough to live, or, you simply mean by the largeness of your hearts to assimilate fifteen million Negroes into the social fraternity of an American race that will neither be white nor black. Don't be alarmed! We must prevent both consequences. No real race loving white man wants to destroy the purity of his race, and no real Negro conscious of himself wants to die, hence there is room for an understanding and an adjustment, and that is just "

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.18.2006, 09:55 PM   #2
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
There's a band called "The Negro Problem."
That part at the end where Garvey is saying that he'd rather not see intermingling is curious. Back then, that was a huge fear. It still is now, but most scientists agree that there will be more racial homogeny in the near future. It doesn't bother me, but it just may be a driving force behind the conservative attempts over the last generation at historic revisionism of important civil rights advances.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2006, 12:35 AM   #3
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
wow, 101 views and only one reply....

Old 11.25.2006, 12:49 AM   #4
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

im sure if this man was alive today he would have a very different view....

my question is, why did you post this white boy?
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2006, 01:13 AM   #5
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by m^a(t)h
im sure if this man was alive today he would have a very different view....?

I'm unsure of why you aver so strongly that you are sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m^a(t)h
my question is, why did you post this white boy?

SuchFriends, the m^a(t)h man urges you to please "stick with your own kind."

Meanwhile, I'll puff some sticky kind with ya.

He tossed in a comma splice just so you'll know he's serious...dude ain't fuckin' 'round.

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2006, 05:52 AM   #6
khchris
little trouble girl

khchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud of
I've tried to address various Negro problems on this board, but there's not a heck of a lot of Afro-Americans on here.
khchris is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2006, 01:46 PM   #7
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by khchris
I've tried to address various Negro problems on this board, but there's not a heck of a lot of Afro-Americans on here.

hence, "Appeal to the Soul of White america"

(this means me and many of you)

Old 12.11.2006, 02:02 PM   #8
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
Sinead O Connor has a song called Marcus Garvy, i cringe everytime i hear it on the radio. i didnt even read yr post i'm sorry. i hate that song so much i dont even wanna know.
he sounds like someone that used to be in my class in school or something.
Old 12.11.2006, 02:09 PM   #9
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
man! wasn't this guy a consummate self-glorifying con-man?

seriously, he talked pretty, but he robbed a lot of hard-working people of their money
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2006, 03:13 PM   #10
matt g
bad moon rising

matt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

how altruistic of you, thanks.
matt g is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2006, 03:14 PM   #11
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

You don't speak for me, I am not white.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2006, 03:40 PM   #12
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
really, stop posting this shit. you're not enlightening anyone on anything. no need to show how liberal you are by posting marcus garvey essays on the board, all it's doing is making you seem like a total trustafarian with a serious case of white guilt. it makes me especially angry, as a black man, because it just seems like you're trying to prove how down you are by smoking a lot of pot, wearing silly hats, and speaking patois over the internet, when you're actually probably playing dress up. sorry if i offended your authenticity or anything, but if you went to jamaica talking such jive shit, they 'bumberclark' your ass in a second.

try posting something relevant and then maybe folks will take you seriously.

(ps. marcus garvey was more racist than revolutionary)

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth