Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page First 5 albums you owned/listened to and how old you were at the time
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.02.2008, 07:35 PM   #1
Kina
children of satan

Kina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's asses
I'm sure this has been done before but if anyone wants to join in please do!

OK I will start, this was a while back so I don't know if I've got them in the correct order but here goes from the first album that I actually remember the name of and listened to properly:

Nirvana, Bleach (I was either 10 or just turned 11, not sure!)

Def FX, Surge EP (11)

Sonic Youth, Dirty (11)

Sonic Youth, Goo (12)

(I'm only allowed 4 images apparently but I'm sure everyone knows what this looks like!)

Tumbleweed, Sundial EP (13)

Kina is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2008, 07:59 PM   #2
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
stuff my dad likes and made me like when i was a wee tike:

rolling stones-let it bleed
rolling stones-sticky fingers
miles davis-on the corner
ramones-rockets to russia
van morrison-astral weeks

its amazing, i still love all there records, to the point of feeling emotional when thinking about them...
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2008, 08:00 PM   #3
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
and i was prolly 6 years old ish
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2008, 08:08 PM   #4
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2008, 08:08 PM   #5
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
I think they were all Beatles albums, except for a Smashmouth cd. Heh.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2008, 08:09 PM   #6
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses

Six total because I can't be sure of the order.

- Sebastian Bach

Old 01.02.2008, 08:15 PM   #7
luxinterior
invito al cielo

OH! I also had this one. My best friends (twins) gave it to me on my birthday. That was a great day.

- Sebastian Bach

Old 01.02.2008, 08:15 PM   #8
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
1. queen - greatest hits

about 9, i went to see wayne's world and loved it, my friends in school found out, through their older brothers, that the song they sang in the car was by them, so i asked my mom for it, she was surprised because it was one of her favorite bands.

2. guns n' roses - bootleg compilation.

about 9, after the queen tape*, i kept reading "guns n' roses" everywhere and found out they were a band, so i tracked down a pirate tape at a flea market with songs from appetite and the illusions (i think it had patience too), i played the hell out of that tape.

3. metallica - metallica (a.k.a. black album)

about 10, after a while, people kept telling me "if you like guns, you should try listening to metallica" so i finally folded and bought it (again, it was a pirate tape, but this time it was the actual album). the first time i listened to it, it was rewinded to side b (or maybe it was mislabelled) and for the longest time though the album opened with "through the never", great song.

4. bon jovi - keep the faith.

about ten, i think i had heard one of their songs ad thought they were good, so i bought it; it was good, i actually still like bon jovi, but more because it's funny/fun than because of the music. they were my first concert too and it was awesome!!!

5. iron maiden - a real live one

about 10 too, word on the playground (literally) was that maiden were satanic so i thought that was awesome, i remember, before i got into music, i would go to stores and see ads for maiden's fear of the dark and kinda being nervous (not scared but anxious, i guess) over the cover art, but actually heard their song "be quick or be dead" and thought it was cool, so i bought the one with "be quick or be dead", little did i know this was a live album, but it had some good songs. the next one i got from them was the maiden japan ep.

*all of these were bought on cassette, i still have them, actually.

**in the interim of 2 and 5, i also bought the guns n' roses discography, although i don't quite remember in what order in relationship with these others, i thought i just stick with different artists; i bough use your illusion I three time because the tape kept snapping.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2008, 08:27 PM   #9
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
michael jackson - bad, thriller & off the wall (aged about 8 or 9, i listened to nothing but MJ for 2 years solid, off the wall is still in probably my top 3 albums ever)
de la soul - 3 feet high and rising (aged 10)
public enemy - fear of a black planet (aged 10 or 11)

other than those from about the age of 10 until 12 i used to sit and listen to the top 40 countdown every week and tape all the rap tunes, so i had all these compilations with stuff like MC hammer, technotronic, NWA (100 miles and runnin' made the top 40), jungle brothers, MC Tunes, Rebel MC, overlord x, a tribe called quest, C&C Music Factory... sadly when i got into jungle a few years later i taped over all my old top 40 comps.

when i was 12 i got nevermind and pretty much stopped listening to hiphop over night and didn't listen to anything but "grunge" for about 3 years.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2008, 08:39 PM   #10
Kina
children of satan

Kina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's asses
Hey that reminds me, I think I also had a Michael Jackson tape when I was 9 or something too but I can't remember which. My sister started surfing when I was 10 and so we started reading surf magazines and an free Aussie music paper called Drum Media. The surf magazines were where we first heard of most of the stuff we first got a hold of including Sonic Youth and I think I heard about local stuff like Tumbleweed in Drum Media. Then when I moved to Croatia I got more into grunge and also into punk since there's a rather strong but small punk scene where I was, but that was later on, like when I was 14/15.
Old 01.02.2008, 08:41 PM   #11
Kina
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic

about ten, i think i had heard one of their songs ad thought they were good, so i bought it; it was good, i actually still like bon jovi, but more because it's funny/fun than because of the music. they were my first concert too and it was awesome!!!

My best friend in year 7 was obsessed with this!
Old 01.02.2008, 09:01 PM   #12
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
i was obsessed with the britpop bands when i was young, so i asked my parents for a bunch of cassette tapes.

blur - parklife (i was about 5 when it was released)
radiohead - the bends (about 5 or 6 years old)
pulp - different class (5 or 6)
longpigs - the sun is often out (5 or 6)
ash - 1977 (5 or 6)
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2008, 09:07 PM   #13
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
The first album I ever owned was Nirvana Nevermind, on cassette, and it was three or four weeks before my eighth birthday, perhaps then it was the year 1991, in fact perhaps that album was nearly new in release now that I think about it, I was obviously a little kid at the time, but I am going to pick first five compact discs because I can not recall my first collection of tapes, but I got my first CD player when I was ten and I had to replace everything from cassette to disc so here it goes to the best of my recollection:

around this time I also purchased

Aerosmith- Get a Grip
Sonic Youth - Dirty
Nirvana - Bleach, Incesticide, Unplugged came out, eventually Wishkah some two year or two later,which was the first album I every bought the day it came out, 1000 leaves was the second to have that honor)
Lenny Kravitz- Circus
Blind Melon - Self Titled
some Nirvana bootlegs which were outrageous expensive at the time
it was not until 1997 that my disc collection expanded to include a more variety of ecclectic music.

this has been a serious journey down memory lane, wandering around through the archives of sound in my head... also this retrospection makes me realize I was hipper then I thought, I did not realize that I had Nirvana Nevermind around the time of its release, I also did not realize the same about most of the albums I listened to as a kid, it seemed to me that they had been out forever, but at looking at the release dates for them all of them were new at those times, very surprising, aside from the flood of memories, road trips gone by, school yard imaginings and daydreams out the window in elementary school, playing with girls in a world of true innocense, childhood is a trip to recall these days... they say that psychedelic mushroom eaters have an increased capacity to draw and elaborate on early and middle childhood memories, to the point of recapulation
i got my first reggae album in 1999, Bob Marley Natty Dread...

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2008, 09:10 PM   #14
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

when I was a little kid in the eightes and early 90s my mother listened exclusively to Bon Jovi and Journey cassettes. The irony of today is that these cheesy popper then pop rock bands possessed genuine (campy as it is) talent and wrote thoughtful music with sincere lyrics. I would rather listen to these groups any day over Fall Out Boy or Good Charlotte

Old 01.02.2008, 09:24 PM   #15
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
when I was a little kid in the eightes and early 90s my mother listened exclusively to Bon Jovi and Journey cassettes. The irony of today is that these cheesy popper then pop rock bands possessed genuine (campy as it is) talent and wrote thoughtful music with sincere lyrics. I would rather listen to these groups any day over Fall Out Boy or Good Charlotte

word

at the end of the day, the wrote good songs, that's what matter.
Old 01.02.2008, 09:27 PM   #16
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
word

at the end of the day, the wrote good songs, that's what matter.

oh yeah, and it is more psychedelic then Jerry Garcia that Bon Jovi is more popular and successful then even their height and peak of the late 1980s Young Guns era.... today they attract the middle aged women who always listened to them, their daughters, and sometimes even granddaughters, and that my friends, translates to a disgusting number of album and concert ticket sells... Bon Jovi into the 21st century, amazing, well even Hunter
Thompson made it that far...

Old 01.02.2008, 09:47 PM   #18
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
they haven't written a good song in ten years now, though.

hey, its his life, now or never and he aint gonna live forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNnDztKxqfk

Old 01.02.2008, 09:49 PM   #19
Kina
children of satan

Quote:
The first album I ever owned was Nirvana Nevermind, on cassette, and it was three or four weeks before my eighth birthday, perhaps then it was the year 1991, in fact perhaps that album was nearly new in release now that I think about it, I was obviously a little kid at the time, but I am going to pick first five compact discs because I can not recall my first collection of tapes, but I got my first CD player when I was ten and I had to replace everything from cassette to disc so here it goes to the best of my recollection:

around this time I also purchased

Aerosmith- Get a Grip
Sonic Youth - Dirty
Nirvana - Bleach, Incesticide, Unplugged came out, eventually Wishkah some two year or two later,which was the first album I every bought the day it came out, 1000 leaves was the second to have that honor)
Lenny Kravitz- Circus
Blind Melon - Self Titled
some Nirvana bootlegs which were outrageous expensive at the time
it was not until 1997 that my disc collection expanded to include a more variety of ecclectic music.

this has been a serious journey down memory lane, wandering around through the archives of sound in my head... also this retrospection makes me realize I was hipper then I thought, I did not realize that I had Nirvana Nevermind around the time of its release, I also did not realize the same about most of the albums I listened to as a kid, it seemed to me that they had been out forever, but at looking at the release dates for them all of them were new at those times, very surprising, aside from the flood of memories, road trips gone by, school yard imaginings and daydreams out the window in elementary school, playing with girls in a world of true innocense, childhood is a trip to recall these days... they say that psychedelic mushroom eaters have an increased capacity to draw and elaborate on early and middle childhood memories, to the point of recapulation
i got my first reggae album in 1999, Bob Marley Natty Dread...

Glad I could have sparked off a journey down memory lane Yeah I didn't realise that I had most of the albums soon after their release too, my conception of time and view of the bigger picture was a bit warped then. One thing I do remember was that hearing Bleach was a total contrast to so much of the 80s stuff I had been surrounded with up until then.
Old 01.02.2008, 10:14 PM   #20
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Quote:
hey, its his life, now or never and he aint gonna live forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNnDztKxqfk

hahahaha

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth