Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page For Those Familiar with Live Skull's DUSTED LP...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.18.2008, 08:24 AM   #1
jetengine
children of satan

jetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's asses
I was just wondering, did any copies of the vinyl version of Live Skull's Dusted (1987) ever make it out of the factory with the album jacket in unblemished shape...? Did all copies have that defective white 'streak' that runs from the pink 'S' in 'SKULL' to halfway down the cover? Did they all have that 'ridge' that runs in the cardboard from the first 'L' in 'SKULL' all the way down the album front? I've never come across a LP copy that didn't have those defects--along with various other 'white-outs' in the black artwork--and I've looked at several images of copies posted on ebay and the like. I know both my sealed copy and my listener's copy have them. Does anyone know any details regarding these defects in the jacket...? I'm sure Mark C. and the gang must have been somewhat pissed....
jetengine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2008, 08:47 AM   #2
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
man i havnt heard anyone talk about live skull in ages.

to me live skull is to sonic youth and swans what soul asylum is to replacements and husker du.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2008, 08:54 AM   #3
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
Really? I quite enjoy Live Skull..haven't heard this album though so I don't know anything about the op's question.
dionysusundone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2008, 09:45 AM   #4
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
they arent horrible, just not good.

listen to pink reason
Old 04.18.2008, 10:23 AM   #5
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
The only thing of theirs I've heard is 'Don't get any on you'. It was OK.
Nice version of 'Pusherman'.

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2008, 10:55 AM   #6
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Live Skull were fuckign amazing. They require a deeper level of listen. The albums with Thalia are some of the 90's best IMO. I saw them at CBGB in 88 and out of the 1000 gigs I've seen since I still think of it as one of the most intense sets of music I've ever seen. They set down such a powerful series of layers of dense guitar and Thalia's strong vocals had a serious impact. I saw Mark C at the White Out show at The Stone a few weeks ago.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2008, 11:07 AM   #7
batreleaser
invito al cielo

i just see them as a second rate early swans or youth, i mean you said ut yourself, powerful series of layered guitars. thats total no wave influenced nyc sonic youth/swans tribute band. i mean dont get me wrong, theyre a good listen, but they arent exactly completley original by any means.

listen to pink reason
Old 04.18.2008, 12:03 PM   #8
ricechex
the destroyed room

ricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's asses
I always thought of them as Swans and SY peers. Dusted is 87' and they had a few before that. Dusted has some cool songs on it. 5-D has always been one of my favorite tunes.

ricechex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2008, 01:04 PM   #9
nick2767
bad moon rising

nick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's asses
No blemishes on my vinyl version of Dusted.

Dusted is my favourite Live Skull. Saw them in '86 and they were really good. Yeah, they used layered guitars but their sound was very different to early SY, who were hardly original of the time as their sound came directly from their No Wave peers.

Mind you, no one sounded like early Swans!
nick2767 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2008, 04:22 PM   #10
jetengine
children of satan

jetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's asses
nick2767: No blemishes on my vinyl version of Dusted.

You sure about that...? They get past the eyes of some of the most scrupulous appraisers. Look for that white streak beneath the letter 'S' where the ink just didn't print--you can run your fingernail through it and feel the slight indentation. It's more pronounced on some copies than others. It's definitely not part of Mark C.'s original artwork, and I've never seen a copy without it, including sealed ones. Ditto for the long bump that extends the length of the cover from the first letter 'L' in 'SKULL'. Other 'white-outs' take the form of little 'patches', and vary from copy to copy. If I had a bigger scanner, I'd upload the covers of my two copies (including a sealed one), and show you what I mean. Maybe there are pictures of copies available on some of the internet record stores--I'll try and take a look around if I can find the time. If your LP copy doesn't have these defects, then I'm presuming its one of an earlier or later (and most likely smaller) pressing....

By the way: Yeah, they were a great band. 'Wisdom & Gravy' and 'Step' stand out big-time for me.
jetengine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2008, 04:32 PM   #11
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
They kind of passed me by back in the day... even though I was well aware of them and wanted to check them out. This thread is a real coincidence 'cause I was recently wondering where the best place would be to start listening to them... any suggestions Tesla?

...an afterthought... I just had a recollection that I may have seen them supporting someone in the 80's, but it's all a little hazy, could even have been SY... haven't checked this out with Chris Lawrences site yet though...

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2008, 11:50 PM   #12
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
'Positraction' is the only one I have, don't really know anything about them or the album I have, other than I enjoy it, but yeah, don't think to put it on all that often.
It doesn't sound like Swans or the Youth to me.
For some reason they make me think of X...and I have no idea why.

Speaking of obscure 80s no wave influenced bands...
who's got some Rat At Rat R? I haven't been able to find ANYTHING.
dionysusundone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2008, 12:02 AM   #13
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
i only have the video shot live in houston. i have everything by come though and the uzi sleep asylum ep
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2008, 03:02 PM   #14
nick2767
bad moon rising

nick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's assesnick2767 kicks all y'all's asses
jetengine: You sure about that...?

Yep, just checked it again and there's no blemishes or indentations, just a couple of tiny white spots, that are hardly noticeable.

I bought it (in the UK) when it came out.

Omg, that's a depressing thought - 21 years ago!
Old 04.19.2008, 03:05 PM   #15
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
man i havnt heard anyone talk about live skull in ages.

to me live skull is to sonic youth and swans what soul asylum is to replacements and husker du.

agreed.

come were equally as mediocre.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2008, 03:09 PM   #16
nick2767
bad moon rising

[quote=toxic johnny]They kind of passed me by back in the day... even though I was well aware of them and wanted to check them out. This thread is a real coincidence 'cause I was recently wondering where the best place would be to start listening to them... any suggestions Tesla?

Just found this, not sure if the links work though.

http://xholdesert.blogspot.com/2007_03_01_archive.html
Old 04.19.2008, 03:10 PM   #17
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
What about Cloud One ?
I've listened to it twice in the past 5 years.Should I wipe the dust of it?
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2008, 05:37 PM   #18
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysusundone
Speaking of obscure 80s no wave influenced bands...
who's got some Rat At Rat R? I haven't been able to find ANYTHING.

I got a self-titled lp from them , and it's very good .
The Cd is from 1990 , obviously a repress , but I don't know when the original was recorded ( and I haven't found any information about it ).
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2008, 07:12 PM   #19
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
agreed.

come were equally as mediocre.

which albums
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth