Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page sad state of Dipset 2009 (a rant)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.18.2009, 08:17 AM   #1
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I know there's at least one other Dipset fan here. So...

1. Cam'ron - Crime Pays
Cam... you used to be THEE head/heart of Dipset. PURPLE HAZE is the epitome of what a Dipset solo album should/could be. It creates its own world, and makes the listener want to inhabit that world. But this. What is this? Granted there's some good tracks, such as "My Job" which had premiered or leaked or whatever they called it before the album came out. That's a good one. And the one that samples "Blinded By The Light" is good. And that skit where you talking about crapping in the backseat of that girl's car is funny. And y'know, a handful of good tracks. But c'mon man. This is an album. A full album. And we've been waiting for a new album since KILLA SEASON. This album is just okay. It's mediocre. It's not BAD. But it doesn't make me want to listen to it again either. Yawn.

2. Jim Jones - Pray IV Rain
Jimmy, last year's HARLEM'S AMERICAN GANGSTER was in my year-end Top 10 list. That was a great album. Y'know why? Because it took the approach of the sprawling Dipset mixtapes, and then refined it. Instead of 30 tracks, there was a managable 15 or so. The beats were good. And there was focus. This new album is long (as usual for Dipset), but too much sounds the same. I understand that a major label is expecting something specific from you. And "Pop Champagne" is a good club track. But this is disappointing to me. It doesn't sound like a Jim Jones LP. I hate to say that Koch brought out the best in you.

3. Juelz Santana ....
Juelz you f'ing KILLED IT last year with yr verse on Wayne's CARTER III. So here we are waiting for a proper album, and what do we get? A Skull Gang album. Dude. We want to hear a Juelz record. I didn't even get the Skull Gang record. I don't even know if it's good. But...

4. Dipset ...
The rest of you (40 Cal, Dukedagod, JR Writer, Hell Rell, etc) are doing what you should be. Dropping indie albums and finding a voice. So yr dismissed. BUT let's be frank with the Big Three above. We need you all to make up and put out a new Dipset album. No more Skull Gang. No more Byrd Gang. None of that. We need DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY 3. Trust me. And maybe do it on Koch. For some reason that worked for all of you.
Old 06.18.2009, 01:05 PM   #2
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Cam'ron's problem is production. I don't know what happened to the Heatmakerz, but he needs them badly. He's still one of the most
entertaining lyricists alive when he really wants to be.

Jim Jones needs to be tight with Cam again, so Cam can ghostwrite for him like in the Diplomatic Immunity days. He's got great ad-libs, but unless he's riding a great beat, I'm not interested in his lyrics. Flow way too choppy. And you had Dame Dash talking about Pray IV Reign like it was the new Reasonable Doubt.

I have said this on here before...Skull Gang is trash. Album is trash. Being around Li'l Wayne inspires Juelz to be, well, other than trash. When the hell is I Can't Feel My Face coming out?

JR Writer is the only of the more "minor" players I seek stuff from. "Throw It Up" is on my workout Zen. He's like a younger, fiestier Cam.

I understand your frustration. This year's Summer Jam had a Dipset reunion onstage! Without Cam'ron! What? That's like reuniting Helium and
forgetting Mary Timony. That is not that okey-dokey, and it certainly does not keep computers putin'.
Old 06.18.2009, 01:26 PM   #3
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
although this stuff really isn't my bag, I love it when jenn waxes rap.

total fucking authority.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2009, 01:47 PM   #4
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
it's funny, she is to me an absolute authority on it in my book, yet some guy on a hip hop forum found her old story about cannibal ox from her blog, and just berated her over the thing, granted blog comments aren't always the most constructive ways of critisism, but damn they ended up sounding just damn ignorant trying to debate the point
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2009, 02:00 PM   #5
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I'm a firm believer that if somebody somewhere doesn't hate you, then yr doing something wrong.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2009, 02:05 PM   #6
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I knew you would comment, jenn! Thank you!!

I dont understand the I CAN"T FEEL MY FACE holdup either. They've dropped a couple of good mixtapes together... but I want the album. Enough freestyles and appropriated tracks. Let's get serious here when you guys are still young. haha.
Old 06.18.2009, 05:48 PM   #7
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
can someone post some links (youtube or whatever) to good stuff by any of these people because i've never really liked anything i've heard but enough people with taste in hiphop seem to like them to make me want to keep trying?
thanks
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2009, 06:12 PM   #8
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

viewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I knew you would comment, jenn! Thank you!!

I dont understand the I CAN"T FEEL MY FACE holdup either. They've dropped a couple of good mixtapes together... but I want the album. Enough freestyles and appropriated tracks. Let's get serious here when you guys are still young. haha.
Both Wayne and Juelz have made comments about it coming out soon.. but I think the suits keep holding it back over money disputes.
They should kind of get over it though, before someone just leaks the whole thing and no one makes any money.

viewtiful_alan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2009, 06:23 PM   #9
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
can someone post some links (youtube or whatever) to good stuff by any of these people because i've never really liked anything i've heard but enough people with taste in hiphop seem to like them to make me want to keep trying?
thanks

Here's some Cam'ron...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilTQJ6vUkE0
^this one isn't a real video. It's a stupid video. But I love the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HzcOG6yY9k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eKbJ...eature=related
Old 06.18.2009, 08:12 PM   #12
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
don't fool with the dips
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7YJpkvlbNA
jim jones+hell rell-penitentiary chances
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66ACIwyDLSU
juelz santana-red bandana
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HAUyK2bEB4
juelz santana-kill yourself
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHE8sZ04cWA
Juelz Santana,cam'ron, sizzla-shottas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzupC0c9Pug
juelz santana-clockwork
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl0Ih2ibJwQ
jim jones,cam'ron,juelz-crunk muzik
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_85gIjUC_Q
jim jones,juelz santana,latiff,jr.writer-honey dip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqm6ZdcEXVM
jim jones-summer with miami
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imWzXDZUZ9c
Purple City and Jim Jones-purple city byrd gang
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx56JkSdcfU
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2009, 08:14 PM   #13
noisereductions
invito al cielo

OMG! I forgot "Crunk Music"! Good call, Wellcharge!
Old 06.18.2009, 08:16 PM   #14
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
lol, i just saw a movie called "jules and jim" on the tv listings
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2009, 08:17 PM   #15
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Weird. Another that I'm surprised none of posted was "We Fly High," I mean that's probably the most well-known Dip-related track, huh?
Old 06.18.2009, 08:24 PM   #16
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
I couldn't find "Ground Zero" on Youtube, maybe my favorite Dipset song.
Old 06.18.2009, 08:25 PM   #17
noisereductions
invito al cielo

You saw that I posted it, right? It is amazing. I think I had to put Diplomats Ground Zero, since it was on the first DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY album when they still went by Diplomats.
Old 06.18.2009, 08:35 PM   #18
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

Two of the vids wouldn't come up for me 'cause my Firefox is futzy with
Youtube, and that must have been one of them, haha. And yes, I was
searching "Dipset Ground Zero".

See, now after 5 minutes it's playing for me.

I still can't believe they sampled fucking Winger.
Old 06.18.2009, 08:47 PM   #19
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Was it Winger??? My God. It's always been one of my favorite Dipset beats ever.
Old 06.19.2009, 04:38 AM   #20
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
lol, i just saw a movie called "jules and jim" on the tv listings

that's a really famous french film from the 60s
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_and_Jim
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth