Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page What is coming NEXT in music?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.26.2008, 09:21 AM   #61
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
With the high price of gas I don't see it will be possible for people to tour so casually as they have. Especially if they are working people. I think there may be a new kind of regionalism, as bands are forced to stick around the homebase. you may think that you'll be able to hear anything thanks to the net but they have Internet 2 coming along soon and the built in "security" in that network may prohibit any music (digital file) that hasn't been vetted by some corporate authority like the RIAA. I believe now you upload your shit to myspace with just a clickbox agreement that you are the copyright owner but I2 may have built in structural "security" that would force users to have all those files approved. I don't know for sure, mostly what they say about I2 sounds to me like Vista, which means it will be SHIT FOR THE USER. And everyone WILL jump to I2 like lemmings because it will offer great video game quality.

Nonsense. Everyone with any recording device like a mini disc/pc sound recorder - editor etc can tape any songs off any website that streams them.

Same thing you can do with podcasts that play bands whose records are more difficult to find just like kiddies used to do with the radio.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 09:31 AM   #62
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Psychic Ills might not be original at all but I like them.
Yes, they rock! And I think their mix of ambient segments, tribalism, psychedelism, shoegaze, and all, is original. I can't tell other bands doing the same
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 09:31 AM   #63
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Glitch is the future.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 09:36 AM   #64
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
Yes, they rock! And I think their mix of ambient segments, tribalism, psychedelism, shoegaze, and all, is original. I can't tell other bands doing the same
The ambient bits that you speak of are basically the quieter, more dilated moments that any shoegazer ever went through even when the shoegazing stuff was out back then, especially in a live setting. Psychedelia is something inherent to 'shoegazing it' anyway, so it's like saying that they're doing more things that they are in fact doing. Innit?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 09:56 AM   #65
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Name a band, that isn't Battles, that has formed in the last few years and I will rebut you.

Mouthus
Lamborghini Crystal
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 10:00 AM   #66
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
xiu xiu formed in 2000

they fucking rule.
Old 06.26.2008, 10:59 AM   #67
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan
electronic music will take over as the next big thing. I feel like this whole 8-bit fad is going to be really influential in pop music in the next 10-15 years.

I decided to pick this particular post to quote in and amoungst all the guff that's been spread in this thread. There was a 'N Sync record at the arse-end of last century with a glitch section. Pop music has been pillaging electronic(a) music for at least 15 years. There was an Aphex Twin song on a car advert, and a mobile phone advert, in the mid-90s. Listen to any TV soundtracks, and any TV adverts - electronic music is as, if not more, mainstream than 'rock' music. Electronic(a) music hasn't been new or radical (as a means of producing sound) in properly mainstream popular culture since they started using electronic instruments for background in adverts (i.e., sometime around the early '50s).

There's this common idea in rock fans that electronic(a) music is somehow entirely distinct from rock/ pop music, and it's confused me for a while now, because I've never known anyone in the hip-hop/ dance scene who didn't listen to a lot of rock/ pop music - or better, who wasn't comfortable with 'real' instruments.

Also, while I'm about it - there's an awful lot people around here who really need to sort their ears out. T&B hit the nail on the head saying 'Battles are Tortoise with math-rock' except to mention that Tortoise are pretty much responsible for the 'genre' (such as it is) of 'math-rock'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 11:01 AM   #68
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Glitch is the future.

I think this. I sent a project that I had abandoned to my friend that does glitch and he should yield some results soon.

Here's his myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/timothyduffie
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 11:23 AM   #69
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
There's gonna be glitch pop soon. And glitch rock.

Everyone get your bit crushing pedals and octave boxes!
Old 06.26.2008, 11:24 AM   #70
sarramkrop

Erm......

Even Eve made brilliant use of an AFX influence on one of her songs.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 11:24 AM   #71
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
what is "glitch?"
Old 06.26.2008, 11:28 AM   #72
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
what is "glitch?"

Glitch (also known as clicks and cuts from a representative compilation series by the German record label Mille Plateaux) is a genre of electronic music that became popular in the late 1990s with the increasing use of digital signal processing, particularly on computers. The origins of glitch music are derived from the failure of digital technology. The effects of failure in technology, such as bugs, crashes, system errors, hardware noise, skipping and audio distortion, can be captured on computers and provide the basic building blocks of Glitch music.[2] Often considered a sub-genre of electronica or intelligent dance music, glitch eschews traditional instrumentation, preferring instead the use of mechanized and non-natural sounds. Though rhythm is a central focal point of glitch, the style's various sub-genres range from the ambient to the dance-oriented. [3]

Glitch is often produced on computers using modern digital production software to splice together small "cuts" (samples) of music from previously recorded works. These cuts are then integrated with the signature of glitch music: beats made up of glitches, clicks, scratches, and otherwise "erroneously" produced or sounding noise. These glitches are often very short, and are typically used in place of traditional percussion or instrumentation. Skipping CDs, scratched vinyl records, circuit bending, and other noise-like distortions figure prominently into the creation of rhythm and feeling in glitch; it is from the use of these digital artifacts that the genre derives its name. However, not all artists of the genre are working with erroneously produced sounds or are even using digital sounds.

The overlap between glitch and shoegazer music also includes some artists that have moved away from the song structures and defined beats mentioned above, favouring more ambient forms. The general shoegazer style of pop rock melodies buried under layers of reverberation and distortion is combined with the precise programming capabilities of digital signal processing. Fennesz and Tim Hecker are two notable artists that have received critical praise for their compositions done in this style. The looped constructions of lovesliescrushing, from about 1992, demonstrated a pre-glitch sound. Later, in 2000, the band ventured into the computer realm by translating their signature four track guitar damage into an iMac to produce glissceule and voirshn, dubbed glitch bliss. The duo Belong has also released music of this nature. In addition to comparing them to other ambient or electronic musicians, reviewers and fans also tend to mention the similarities to My Bloody Valentine (arguably the most highly regarded band of the early 1990s shoegazer movement). The primary point of similarity is the emphasis placed on the texture of the music; it appears to play as important a role as the melodies themselves. Also, see Labradford, The Night Owl Cafe Killers, or Little Glitches for similarly ambient/glitch sounds.
Old 06.26.2008, 11:29 AM   #73
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
what is "glitch?"
beeps and bloops as you'd call it

anyways
Old 06.26.2008, 11:30 AM   #74
sarramkrop

That's been written by an American for sure.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 11:30 AM   #75
sarramkrop

And I didn't even read it all.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 11:30 AM   #76
sarramkrop

atsonicpark
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 11:31 AM   #77
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

Scissor Shock.
Old 06.26.2008, 11:32 AM   #78
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Glice is the future.

He is?
Old 06.26.2008, 11:34 AM   #79
sarramkrop

how odd that that shit on wankipedia fails to mention Pole.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2008, 11:35 AM   #80
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
He is?

My first solo record is probably going to be mostly bluegrass and jazz with smidges of free improv. So the future is clearly 50 years old (although the futurists might have something to say about it).

FOR FUCK'S SAKE YOU CLOTH-EARED RETARDS, ELECTRONIC MUSIC IS NOT A NEW THING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth