Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.18.2010, 12:09 AM   #11941
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses

funny man - disturbing as fuck and hilarious and extremely British/10

greetings - 9/10

gets better with every viewing.
atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2010, 01:16 AM   #11942
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses

underrated movie. i hardly every hear anyone talk about this film.
there's not much to it but still, i've always liked the demented love story
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2010, 02:33 AM   #11943
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Lost Highway

8/10

I have wanted to see this movie for about five years now, and now I finally have. Was it worth the wait? In many ways, yes. I'll admit that most of the movie had me scratching my head as to what the hell was going on, but I couldn't help but be transfixed, because watching this movie is a bit like being a passenger on a journey you want to complete if for no other reason than to find out where on Earth the destination is! Very underrated; up there with Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive IMO.

But I'm guessing the reason it didn't fair well at the box office (besides some of the fucked-up imagery) is you either love how the ending slams you in the face with an explanation for 89% of the past two and a half hours in 30 seconds or you hate it as a narrative cop out.
Old 08.18.2010, 03:12 AM   #11944
TheFoxBen
expwy. to yr skull

TheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by deflinus

underrated movie. i hardly every hear anyone talk about this film.
there's not much to it but still, i've always liked the demented love story

I don't think I've ever talked about it on here and yet, this is my favorite movie of all time ! It's just so good, the directing is amazing, Adam Sandler shines and yeah, it's basically the best romantic movie I've ever seen.

TheFoxBen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2010, 03:29 AM   #11945
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Hmm.. No Lynch film has done well at the box office... except Elephant Man, I think.. maybe Straight Story. Lost Highway the first film I saw by him, I was 10 or 11 (I was a NiN fan). It's a pretty cool movie, but you could tell he was starting to run out of ideas, and then his next few films kinda revisited the same themes, ideas, and had similiar plots, characters, etc. It's interesting in a sense, because it almost seems like he's trying to "perfect" his template; kinda like how so many Aki Kaurismaki films feel the same.. it's like, there's a skeleton of a movie, and he's constantly working to make the perfect version of it, using most of the same elements and structure... that's how I feel about Lynch lately, like he's trying to craft the perfect version of his vision.

My favorite Lynch is Fire Walk With Me, by far (it's most his terrifying, most bizarre, most unique, and most hilarious -- at times, it feels like a Jon Jost film! And it has elements in that he would never revisit any other time -- there are angels in it... ANGELS?! Also, that confounding bar scene with the subtitled dialogue always confused me.. the scene with David Bowie and the security camera is my favorite scene in any movie, EVER... etc... just a masterpiece), and Eraserhead + early shorts (which feel so groundbreaking and amazing, even today). I think Inland Empire might be his "best", though, as it feels so sloppy and ridiculous -- but honest. It's just such an interesting, unfiltered mess, seems like it's his most personal film since Eraserhead, and it almost feels like a fuck-you to film, a fuck-you to studios, etc... it's a very angry film... it doesn't quite "work", but it doesn't need to... I also think it was Lynch saying, "DV is the future." It's the only film of his I had to watch multiple times to comprehend, and it's the only one that really continues to stick with me -- like, I still need to watch it some more.

I was so obsessed with Lynch for like 10 years, and I still think highly of him, though I like him more as a person than as a director. I have never been impressed with him as a "director", since the pacing is always so off in his movies, and no scenes ever really wow me in the way they're shot. His films often look kinda boring, except for the lighting. The sad thing about Lynch is that he's FUCKING HILARIOUS, and that's such an often overlooked element of his work... I wish he had made a straight-up comedy... though I guess I always observed most of his films as dreamy absurdist black comedies. I mean, Wild at Heart, and parts of Fire Walk With Me are just SOOOOOO funny. I love his show On the Air, that show was just downright hilarious. The Twin Peaks television series was so awesome in its brilliant juxtaposition of hilarity and disturbing scenes. I think that's his ultimate work, all in all, even though I'd consider it more Mark Frost's show than Lynch's (the episodes Lynch directed were always the best, though).

Y'know, now that I think about it, Lost Highway is the film I notice most people like who don't even like Lynch (Blue Velvet and Elephant Man also), mainly because of the soundtrack; the rare NiN songs and such got people into this film who wouldn't have otherwise seen it... again, I saw it when I was 10 or 11, with my grandma.. I wonder what she thought it.. I remember being confused back then, but I got it on VHS when I was 13 and loved it. I always thought it was just a dream back then. Like Lynch said, "Not everything in life makes sense." And not everything has to either.

I haven't thought about the film in probably 5 years now, but it's just a fun lil' mobius strip. It's pretty straightforward, even though the acting is poor in places, and it's too long. I think it has the best atmosphere of any of his movies. I think the film is kinda like Mulholland Drive, in that the second half takes place in the character's head for the most part; I think the film is about lies, how Fred can't be honest during the interrogation. It's a view of his subconscious, as he comes to terms with the murder of his wife.
Old 08.18.2010, 03:29 AM   #11946
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFoxBen
it's basically the best romantic movie I've ever seen.

Punch drunk is to neurotic and sadding for being a good romantic comedy, stll a great movie
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2010, 03:38 AM   #11947
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

My favorite romantic movie ever is Pierrot Le Fou.

Sorry, there's just nothing more romantic than a guy leaving his wife and boring bourgeois lifestyle to be with a poor babysitter; as the couple becomes increasingly caught up in an existential Bonnie and Clyde-esque existence, they battle gangsters; blow up cars filled with tons of money; drive into the ocean; karate chop gas station attendants; and forsake everything to live on the beach, with their only concern eventually becoming their own roles as characters in a pop-cultural landscape. It's a genuinely touching and sweet film.

Also, Kitano's films cause me to tear up, especially his more romantic roles. I mean, he's the best director we've ever had; no director can juggle violence, absurdist humor, and fragile romance with such restraint, control, and beauty. Achilles and the Tortoise is simply my favorite film of the past 10 years -- a story about a failed painter whose wife sticks by his side even as he goes off the deep end. Hana-Bi's story of a cop who borrows money from the yakuza -- and robs a bank to pay them back -- in order to pay for his wife's (presumably) cancer treatments genuinely makes me cry. But I think his ultimate romance statement is

*sniff*
A SCENE AT THE SEA gets me. I'm going to watch it after getting off here. Sniff.

Another great one..

I'M A CYBORG BUT THAT'S OKAY.

This one really affected me. What a beautiful, unconventional romantic tale.

I think the absolute MASTER of "romantic" films is probably Wong Kar wai though.

Both stories in Chungking Express are amazing. Fallen Angels is amazing, and depressing. In the Mood for Love.. wow, he's jsut the best.

I can probably think of a thousand great Japanese "romance" movies and a couple hundred French ones, but I can't think of a single American one I really like, except perhaps that David Bowie/patricia aquette movie "The Linguini Inident".
Old 08.18.2010, 03:53 AM   #11948
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
Pierrot Le Fou is a good call adam. I really like it, even I mostly have a hate-love relationship with Godard
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2010, 06:29 AM   #11949
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
but it's just a fun lil' mobius strip.

woah! That's exactly how I've always explained the film to ppl who "didn't get it." Nice.

Mulholland is my favorite. But I love a lot of his work.
Old 08.18.2010, 07:04 AM   #11950
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses

Old 08.18.2010, 08:58 AM   #11951
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
But I love a lot of his work.

Me too. Not all though. He's certainly interesting to talk about.

Here, since I never have.. I will rate every Lynch film!

Six Men Getting Sick - 6/10
Absurd Enounter with Fear - 5/10 [though it's too short and minimal to rate, really, it's still cool]
Fictitious Anacin commercial - see above, word for word
The Alphabet - 9/10
The Grandmother - 8/10
The Amputee - 6/10
Erashead - 10/10
Elephant Man - 6/10 (yah yah it's technically worth a higher score but I just flat out find most of it a bit boring)
Dune - 2/10 .. nearly unwatchable
Blue Velvet - 8/10
Cowboy and the Frenchman - 4/10
Wild at Heart - 9/10
Wild at Heart: The Deleted Scenes - 7/10 (these were amazing! This is those 2 hours of deleted scenes from the Lime GReen set.. wow!)
Industrial Symphony No. 1 - 5/10
Fire Walk With Me - 10/10
Twin Peaks: entire series - 7/10 (long stretch of crappy episodes in season 2, but Windham Earl was my favorite part of the series and I think season 3 would have been incredible, especially if it involved Dale being evil and fighting with parts of himself that aren't himself...)
On the Air: entire series - 8/10
Hotel Room: entires series - 4/10
Premonitions Following an Evil Deed - 8/10 (only 52 seconds long but I think it's one of his best works!)
Lost Highway - 7/10
Straight Story - 10/10
Mulholland Drive: original pilot - 6/10
Mulhollan Drive - 8/10
Darkened Room - 5/10
Ballerina - 5/10
Rabbits - 9/10 (whole series only, not the one with the episodes missing from the Lime mystery box!)
Inland Empire - 6/10
Inland Empire: More Things That Happened - 2/10
Boat - 4/10
Bug Crawls - 6/10
Scissors - 4/10

RELATED:
Zelly and Me - 5/10 (Lynch acted in this, it's weird to see him in it)
Storyville - 8/10 (Mark Frost's only film)
Boxing Helena - 5/10 (Jen Lynch's film works as a confused weird parody of her daddy's stuff)
Surveillance - 5/10 (entertaining if ultimately pointless Jennifer Lynch film)
Nadja - 8/10 (why has no one seen this overlooked vampire film with Lynch acting in it? He also produced it, and it has My Bloody Valentine and Portishead music; cool film, y'all.. imagine Abel Ferrara's "The Addiction".. but better! I love weird vampire movies, like SUCKER: THE VAMPIRE and shit...)
LYNCH - 5/10 (this is a really boring documentary about Lynch)
Sparks: I Predict video - 5/10
Moby: Shot in the Back of the Head video - 6/10

Lynch rules. I didn't know whether to bother rating some of the shit he did, like the rest of dynamic1, or the Lime Green Mystery Disc with, like, that weird ass stuff he did around the time he did The Alphabet, and that short film he made for the Twin Peaks festival, but eh fuck it.
Old 08.18.2010, 09:04 AM   #11952
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Lynch always hires interesting women for his roles. Darkened Room may not have been very good but he had

Cerina Vincent

and

Jordan Ladd

Audrey!! ... but no Sheryl Lee/Laura Palmer here? Strange...

Always loved this photo..

Old 08.18.2010, 09:10 AM   #11953
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Dune's the only one I enjoy.! ha!
Old 08.18.2010, 09:15 AM   #11954
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

uh.

anyway:

0/10
Old 08.18.2010, 10:23 AM   #11955
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Wow dude, LOOK AT THOSE SPIDERS!
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2010, 02:07 PM   #11956
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Six Men Getting Sick - 3/10
The Alphabet - 6/10
The Grandmother - 9/10
The Amputee - 6/10
Erashead - 10/10
Elephant Man - 6/10
Dune - 5/10 .. nearly unwatchable
Blue Velvet - 9/10
Cowboy and the Frenchman - 2/10
Wild at Heart - 8/10
Industrial Symphony No. 1 - 5/10
Fire Walk With Me - 9/10
Twin Peaks: entire series - 8/10
On the Air: entire series - 6/10
Hotel Room: entires series - 7/10
Premonitions Following an Evil Deed - 6/10
Lost Highway - 8/10
Straight Story - 7/10
Mulholland Drive: original pilot - 7/10
Mulhollan Drive - 10/10
Darkened Room - 4/10 (I don't really get it)
Rabbits - 8/10
Inland Empire - 8/10
Dumbville series - 4/10
*things I skipped I haven't seen. I haven't watched the whole recent DVD collection of short films for instance, only some of them.

RELATED:
Boxing Helena - 7/10 (I've always liked this one a lot)
LYNCH - 5/10
Pretty As A Picture: The Art Of David Lynch - 6/10
Old 08.18.2010, 03:32 PM   #11957
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
My favorite romantic film is Juno
Old 08.18.2010, 03:54 PM   #11958
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Of the Lynch films I've seen:

The Grandmother - 7/10
Eraserhead - 9/10
Elephant Man - 6/10
Dune - 4/10
Blue Velvet - 8/10
Wild at Heart - 5/10
Fire Walk With Me - 7/10
Lost Highway - 8/10
Mullholland Dr - 7/10
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2010, 04:00 PM   #11959
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
My favorite Romantic film is Les enfants du paradis
Old 08.18.2010, 04:28 PM   #11960
noisereductions
invito al cielo

adam that Jordan Ladd pic is awesome. She looked BAD in Hostel 2.
498548588595596597 598 5996006016086486981098 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth