Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Some notes on hipster law, 2011
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.15.2011, 05:57 PM   #61
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
I want some fuckin fried chicken motha fucke
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2011, 06:23 PM   #62
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
is it still ok to hate hippies????

If you need to ask the question, you should probably check your cupboards for tofu-flavoured self-righteousness.

A mate of mine accused me recently of having a 'narrow-minded view' of hippies (with an IRL srsly tone) because I pointed out the simple fact that every hippy secretly rub themselves in Nazi paraphernalia in failed attempts to stimulate their stinking genitalia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2011, 07:00 PM   #63
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
If you need to ask the question, you should probably check your cupboards for tofu-flavoured self-righteousness.

A mate of mine accused me recently of having a 'narrow-minded view' of hippies (with an IRL srsly tone) because I pointed out the simple fact that every hippy secretly rub themselves in Nazi paraphernalia in failed attempts to stimulate their stinking genitalia.

I believe that this is called the Freya Asywynn Disease.
Old 11.15.2011, 08:06 PM   #64
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I can't hear you over the scent of the patchouli incense that I have burning.

namaste, motherfuckers.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2011, 09:13 PM   #65
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
- If you still care, you're a useless prick.
-Whenever you say 'hipster', you're talking about your own social anxieties.
-This is a forum for Sonic Youth. You are immediately and without question a hipster in the eyes of people who've heard of Sonic Youth (that is, people who have no problem finding other humans to assist in the stimulation of their genitals)
- People who haven't heard of Sonic Youth think you're a cunt. Not a hipster. Just a boring, whinging, too-white cunt.
- Some people think about what they wear before they leave the house.
- Some people don't think about what they wear before they leave the house.
- You, meanwhile, need a wash.
- This is the internet. It and the outside world are not in competition. It's arguable that they might even complement each other.
- In the fine schoolyard tradition of 'whoever smelt it, dealt it', the only people who are hipsters (in the sense of being vacuous, vain and overly obsessed with the opinions of some spurious clique) are those who accuse others of being hipsters.
- The world is large. Fundamentally, you are small. Don't be petty as well.
- For fuck's sake. No-one cares or ever cared about what you or anyone else thinks a hipster is or isn't.
- Get a wash, for the very sake of fuck.

Yeah, well like I dunno, I kinda like their older stuff better, but ya'know, no worries or whatever....
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2011, 02:14 AM   #66
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
It's been a slow week for us all I guess to debate this in now two different sub-forums....

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2011, 07:33 PM   #67
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
It's kinda funny. This thread, though denouncing the act of social labeling, is actually kind of creating a new social label.... "people who think hipsters exist/ talk about hipsters/ say "hipster".

The fact that you're sensitive enough about the label is proof enough that it exists. Christ, you're like Martin Lither King telling off a KKK member! So obviously you've been called a hipster yourself, probably many times, and probably even fancied the label for a while. Did I strike a nerve? 'Cause really- I didn't say anything negative about anyone or anything, yet it pissed you off so much that you wrote an italicized paragraph about it.

Heh.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2011, 07:46 PM   #68
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
No, you fuckwit. No. It doesn't work like that.

If you want to talk about nomenklatura, we can do; if you you want to make petty semantic points, go ahead (oh, you have. Well done). Labels exist and are meaningful; I'm saying that the label hipster is exclusively negative and phantasmic, based on some ill-defined notion of cohesion of 'other' (small 'o'). That 'other' is always reductive, based on an assumed cohesion and language community of idiocy, which may never be verified or agreed upon. It's basically 'these are some other people who are wrong [for spurious/ non-existent reasons]'. I'm not saying any notion of intellectual/ semantic cohesion of 'other' is automatically wrong - I'm saying that hipster specifically appertains in definition to idiosyncratic (but not sociolectical) anxieties of 'how other people think/ feel/ understand/ experience'. There are no hipsters, only people saying that 'someone else' is a hipster.

If I was being hysterical/ polemic I could probably say that it's structurally analogous to notions of 'other' related to racism; the problem is that different cultures appertained by 'other-isms' in that do actually exist, just not in the negative space (and this is faintly related to the epistemic status[es] of diachronic approaches to language which we (yes, we) voided nearly a century ago). Ergo, hipster is spurious notions returning to personal social anxieties, and racism remains bad for different reasons.

Though a caveat - I'm not part of a North American language community, so I might be wrong (but I severely doubt I am).

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 11.17.2011, 07:59 PM   #69
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know about the US but hipster where I am is not really an insult and people are not afraid to say "i'm a hipster lol". it isn't uncommon to see the media use the word hipsters to refer to an entire generation. i know it's not the same there and probably not in the us either.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2011, 08:08 PM   #70
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses

Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2011, 08:12 PM   #71
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses

Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2011, 08:28 PM   #72
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
it isn't uncommon to see the media use the word hipsters to refer to an entire generation.

That seems far more benign and passable. Makes sense even. Because I think it's an important/ inevitable thing that the younger generation will fail to make sense to the older one. If 'hipster' designated nothing more than 'something many in the older generation don't get/ consider degenerate [note: -genera- morpheme]' that's fine - and has clear links back to hepcat [etc] (its etymological forbear, from what I can gather). It's this use where it designates people who are somehow deficient in appreciation of stuff that really isn't important. It's all a bit grotesque.

Quote:
Old 11.17.2011, 08:34 PM   #73
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertonic
I do agree that the term, like others before it, have been used to negate and otherwise attach a negative stigma to any youth movement by the ruling class.

"Punk rock is a word used by dilettantes and heartless manipulators about music that takes up the energies, the bodies, the hearts, the souls, the time and the minds of young men who give everything they have to it." - Iggy Pop

So here's an idea. It's a non-discussion!

What does a ruling class look like? I bet they ride fixies and have NHS specs.

Quote:
Old 11.17.2011, 08:56 PM   #74
Glice
invito al cielo

Sous la paves, plus l'imbecile.

Quote:
Old 11.17.2011, 09:23 PM   #75
Glice
invito al cielo

I'm very anguished on a number of matter.

Luckily, you'll have my memoires in the fall of 2012 to catch up on all the things that have hacked me off, 1982-present - coming to a bookstore near you!

Quote:
Old 11.17.2011, 09:31 PM   #76
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
sometimes I feel bad for people that argue with glice.

it's not that he's always right; it's simply his uncanny ability to make you think he MIGHT be, and let's face it, when it comes to the internet, that's all that really matters.

the art of prickistry: refined.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2011, 11:57 PM   #77
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
I don't know about the US but hipster where I am is not really an insult and people are not afraid to say "i'm a hipster lol". it isn't uncommon to see the media use the word hipsters to refer to an entire generation. i know it's not the same there and probably not in the us either.

SOme find it insulting, some label themselves as hipsters. But holy cow are they annoying people. The worst are scenesters....LOLOLOLOLOLThe saddest part is that I actually know someone who labels himself as a scenester. Though..the kid is a fucktard. Cocky fuck. I think my hate for these people could have stemmed from this one idiot.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2011, 11:58 PM   #78
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
I want some fuckin fried chicken motha fucke

racist.
Old 11.17.2011, 11:59 PM   #79
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death

LATFH
Old 11.18.2011, 08:20 AM   #80
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
I don't label myself as anything other than bitch.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth