Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Which gig: Swans or Robyn Hitchcock?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.03.2015, 12:07 PM   #1
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Drjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's asses
Both of these acts are coming to my town within 10 days of each other next month. Both are on weekdays, and due to work/family/etc. I can realistically go to only one of the shows. Neither do shows in my area very often. I am leaning toward Robyn Hitchcock because scheduling it wouldn't be quite as difficult, but good arguments could be made for either act. If you could only see one of them, which one would it be, and why?
Drjohnrock is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2015, 12:38 PM   #2
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Having seen them recently, I say: Swans.

You can close the thread now.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2015, 01:35 PM   #3
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2015, 02:15 PM   #4
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Drjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

Boys and girls, this is what is called a "non sequitur".
Old 01.03.2015, 03:12 PM   #5
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
A hard choice, you know what you'll get with Swans, but what kind of show do you get with Hitchcock?

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2015, 03:31 PM   #6
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
A hard choice, you know what you'll get with Swans, but what kind of show do you get with Hitchcock?

Good question. Robyn will be doing about two weeks of shows on this tour before the gig in my area so I'll have the opportunity to read the reviews before deciding.
Old 01.03.2015, 03:33 PM   #7
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjohnrock
Boys and girls, this is what is called a "non sequitur".
correction sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunderbuss
You can close the thread now.

Old 01.03.2015, 03:41 PM   #8
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Seems to me like SFAD is still partying, ringing in the new year.
Old 01.03.2015, 04:02 PM   #9
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Old 01.04.2015, 12:05 AM   #10
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Having seen both, I'd go with the cheapest/easiest.

I'm a much bigger fan of Swans than I am of Robyn Hitchcock, but in my lifetime, Swans have been a fairly easy act to catch. I'll be seeing them next month, and I've already seen them a few times. They're one lf the best live bands ever, and I have never regretted a moment I've experienced in the sonic vacuum that is their live show.

Robyn I've only chanced to see once. The stars just haven't aligned for Mr. Hitchcock and me.

So I guess it depends on whether or not you've seen each act before, and how many times. But for me personally, I'd go with whatever was easiest.

Hope that helped, though I'm rather certain it did not.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2015, 12:10 AM   #11
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

Hah!
Old 01.04.2015, 12:26 AM   #12
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Having seen both, I'd go with the cheapest/easiest.

I'm a much bigger fan of Swans than I am of Robyn Hitchcock, but in my lifetime, Swans have been a fairly easy act to catch. I'll be seeing them next month, and I've already seen them a few times. They're one lf the best live bands ever, and I have never regretted a moment I've experienced in the sonic vacuum that is their live show.

Robyn I've only chanced to see once. The stars just haven't aligned for Mr. Hitchcock and me.

So I guess it depends on whether or not you've seen each act before, and how many times. But for me personally, I'd go with whatever was easiest.

Hope that helped, though I'm rather certain it did not.

Somewhat helpful, I think. I've not seen either before. There's very little difference in ticket price, and Hitchcock would be a little easier to see. The one big drawback to Robyn is that I think the gig will be acoustic, and I somewhat overdosed on acoustic gigs last year--something I needn't worry about with Swans!
Old 01.04.2015, 02:56 PM   #13
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
My half-a-cent:

I was once in a lucky audience of 15 to watch Hitchcock play a radio show. He was a delight. Fun songs, witty banter. As acoustic shows go, it was one of the better ones I've seen.

(Later, I went into the bathroom and there he was standing at the urinal. I said thanks for playing, and then there was this weird moment when he started to extend his hand to shake mine, but then thought better of it.)
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2015, 05:01 PM   #14
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
My half-a-cent:

I was once in a lucky audience of 15 to watch Hitchcock play a radio show. He was a delight. Fun songs, witty banter. As acoustic shows go, it was one of the better ones I've seen.

(Later, I went into the bathroom and there he was standing at the urinal. I said thanks for playing, and then there was this weird moment when he started to extend his hand to shake mine, but then thought better of it.)

That is quite possibly the best “How I met a Musician” story anyone has ever told. That's the kind of shit you can't make up. Seriously- I laughed out loud.

Did he at least respond to you?

I have personal requirements for claiming to have “met” musicians or other celebs/public figures because I have spoken to or seen so many musicians just by attending small shows and festivals, but I can't claim to have met everyone who's ever signed some merch for me, or nodded in response to some conpliment I toss out as they walk by (“Hey Buzz- you guys killed it!”) Makes me feel like a fraud.

So for me to feel that I've actually met someone, I need to do the following:
1) Introduce myself. There's nothing's special about saying, “you're Thurston Moore! You got me through high school!” It's embarrassing and spazzy. To me, meeting someone I admire in the same way that I meet any other new person, and having them address me by name in return (“It's nice to meet you, Severian”) is worth so much more than yelling something obnoxious and getting a perfunctory wave or "Hi" in return.

2.) Shake their hand. This one isn't absolutely necessary, but when I can successfully imprint my name in their memory, a hand shake seals the deal nicely.

I say it's not absolutely necessary because I'm thinking about meeting someone at a urinal. I wouldn't want to shake their hand in that situation, and would hope that they wouldn't shake mine.

But I hope you and Robyn actually exchanged words and had something approaching a personal experience, even if it was awkward, and both of your dicks were hanging out. I'll bet he remembers this incident too... That's something you can brag about.
Old 01.04.2015, 05:08 PM   #15
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjohnrock
Somewhat helpful, I think. I've not seen either before. There's very little difference in ticket price, and Hitchcock would be a little easier to see. The one big drawback to Robyn is that I think the gig will be acoustic, and I somewhat overdosed on acoustic gigs last year--something I needn't worry about with Swans!

Ok, sounds pretty simple. You're going to see Swans. Period. Catch Robyn next time he's playing at a festival near you.

Unless Robyn Hitchcock is, like, your favorite living artist or something... If that were the case I would go with your fave, because you need to grab those opportunities while you can. This is the only logical reason one might have for choosing Robyn > Swans.

I'm guessing that's not the case, or you would have seen him by now. So the problem is solved: Swans. All day long. Be sure to eat right and excercise in the days before the show... mm aine fast a bit. Swans are going to beat you bloody and run you ragged, but you will never, ever forget the experience.

Cheers.
Old 01.05.2015, 09:24 AM   #16
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Did he at least respond to you?

He was very nice. But here's why I'm an idiot: After giving a few compliments, it struck me that maybe he didn't want to talk about himself. So I asked if there were any artists or albums he was currently into. He didn't really have a response, said thanks for the complements and left.

Years later, I caught a documentary on IFC called "Robyn Hitchcock: I Often Dream of Trains. A Concert Film," and it was clear from the footage that Robyn's favorite subject is Robyn.

I'm not saying he's a dick. If I had asked a bunch of questions about his own work, I'm sure he would've been pleased to chat all afternoon. Maybe he thought I wasn't really a fan and got disappointed. Considering the circumstances, he was very much a gentleman.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2015, 07:51 PM   #17
Severian
invito al cielo

Well, that sounds bloody awkward as hell, but I'd say you definitely “met” him. I can see myself asking the same question, in your place. Don't feel bad.

I met one of my favorite bands (from my "experimental" phase) while I was lit up like a jack o' lantern on LSD and e. I remember thinking, “aww, they're probably blasted too! They get it!” only to realize, in retrospect, that they were the very picture of sobriety and casual calm. While I'm sure they could tell that I was halfway to the moon, I now understand that their "knowing smiles" we're probably genuine expressions of concern for my well-being. I was really grinding my teeth that night, looking like utter shit, I'm sure.

Now that was a truly embarrassing time. The night I realized that the best musicians were probably not pill heads and junkies, for the most part. I never dropped hard drugs before a concert again.
Old 01.09.2015, 10:36 PM   #18
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Another good reason for saying Swans: Xylouris White is supporting.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth