Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Plone
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.25.2007, 08:07 AM   #1
sarramkrop

Any fans of this band? Not the most prolific group of musicians to ever come out of Birmingham, but still a cool band if you like that whole scene that also includes Pram and Broadcast. Anyway, 'For Beginner Piano' is an album worth checking out, if you like your retro futurism mixed with Kraftwerk and Suicide influences.

The group was created in late 1994 when Mark Cancellara & Mike Johnston started to buy old analogue keyboards and fx and began to rehearse making huge soundscapes. Mike was living with Billy Bainbridge (who was in another band at the time, Supernal, also containing members of electro band sol dat) who bought himself a keyboard and joined the band.
The band started gigging as support to local bands such as Pram &Broadcast. In 1997 the band were approached by Wurlitzer Jukebox who released the single "Press a Key". On the strength of this the band were signed toWarp and in September 1998 released the single 'plock'. This was tipped as one of the singles of the year by NME, Melody Maker, Dazed & Confused etc.
An album For Beginner Piano was released in September 1999 to widespread critical acclaim[citation needed].
Rob Mitchell (who had originally signed the band to Warp) was diagnosed with cancer in 2001. Rob died in the September of that year, and while the band rushed to deliver their second album, Steve Beckett (co-founder of Warp) made it aware he wasn't fond of bands like Broadcast or Plone that were currently on the label. Shortly thereafter, the band were dropped by the label and subsequently dissolved.
The album is still awaiting release.
Billy went on to play keyboards with Broadcast (on the Ha Ha Sound tour) and is now a member of Seeland with Tim Felton (now also ex-Broadcast) and have released a single "Wander"/"Pherox" on Duophonicin 2005.
Mike Johnston went on to form Mike In Mono and is also 'Clive 2' in ZX Spectrum Orchestra and a member of The Modified Toy Orchestra.
Mark is currently DJing with Matt from Pram for Silver Dollar, a reggae club in Birmingham.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plone_(band)
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2007, 09:02 AM   #2
Smokers Gifts
little trouble girl

Smokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's assesSmokers Gifts kicks all y'all's asses
I never got into Plone but I was a big fan of Mike in Mono's solo stuff. Seen him live a few times and around at Supersonic, and he is a spiffin nice guy. I loved the final Mike in Mono gig at Supersonic 2003. A load of cybergoths got well into the set and were 'having it' by the stage. Mike had his head bent over his equipment, then looked up and seemed bewildered at the sight of purple dreadlocks and black pvc clad ravers!
He also played a video of 'Learn Yamaha Organ' from the 80s presented by Patt Sharpe!
If you can get hold of them, I would recommend the Mike in Mono 'Stars & Stripes ep' which his brother plays guitar on. Also the 'All MAshed Up' 7" on Half Eaten Records (HER might still be going , not sure)
Spectrum Orchestra was also good, and Modified Toy Orchestra.
Another unsung hero of Brum at this time was Floach, aka Shanny. He used to collaborate with the Plone guys quite a lot, but I heard he moved to Poland. I think he might be a genius, but a really drunken absurd genius. His stage shows were the best. Try and get 'Flatty GUmmy' ep if you can.
Smokers Gifts is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2007, 09:09 AM   #3
sarramkrop

Wow, thanks for a ll that priceless info! I'm familiar with some of Mike In Mono's music, but I've never heard of Floach aka Shanny.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2007, 09:11 AM   #4
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Is Modified Toy Orchestra more than one person now? When I saw them...well, it wasn't 'them' for a start, it was one man. Pretty ace though.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2007, 09:32 AM   #5
sarramkrop

Yes, more than one person.

Mon 15 Oct 8:00pm at Town Hall
http://www.thsh.co.uk/mmlib/includes...der=eventfiles

All things avant-garde come to Town Hall tonight, courtesy of Capsule, one of Birmingham’s most innovative art and music promoters. Capsule has curated a programme of live performances from two pioneers of the experimental music scene: Broadcast and Modified Toy Orchestra. Modified Toy Orchestra circuit-bend toys beyond their original capabilities, creating perfect pop songs from imperfect instruments, whilst Broadcast transmit radiophonic psychedelia with a sinister, spy-movie swing.
In association with Capsule
All seats £10

http://www.thsh.co.uk/view/broadcast...-toy-orchestra
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2007, 10:01 AM   #6
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
i love plone. have been into em for a few years now. the melodies are just genius. i didn't bother reading the article you put, but i do know that their 2nd album didn't come out, and it had something to do with one of the guys who owns warp records hating plone or something. ridiculous.

worth checking out for anyone into good fucking melodies.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2007, 02:50 PM   #7
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i loved the plock single but didn't really like for beginner piano that much
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth