Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page I don't have any Led Zeppelin
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.19.2006, 12:10 AM   #121
against_the_grain
stalker

against_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard sucka

Incredibly amusing thread folksies....

Being able to see Led Zeppelin in 1969 and 1971 gives me an early bias. I can't even relate the experience of that time to those who don't want to know anyway....but holy shit...

Sonic Youth rocks !!!

A really good unedited live bootleg is the way to go gmku. As much as I love the early studio albums....I LOVE the best, early shows....with all the in between song chatter.

I'd actually suggest Zooma....a 2000 release by John Paul Jones, Zep bassist, for a somewhat contemporary taste. It's just about all instrumental.

Do not fear mistakes. There are none

Miles Davis
against_the_grain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2006, 12:28 AM   #122
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Ha ha......wow. There's waaaay to many things that I could have quoted and replied on here (for better or worse), but what's the fucking point......I'm over it. Anyway here's my personal faves.

1. II
2. I
3. III
4. IV
5. Houses of the Holy
6. Physical Graffiti......then the rest. The BBC Sessions are beyond sick.

Oh and Bonham is God.
Old 08.19.2006, 05:55 AM   #123
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
god!!! no quarter!!! now we are speaking!!!

my reaction towards gmku wasn't out of being defensive to led zeppelin, it was this whole hipster attitude of "i'm too good to like music" which i find offensive as a music fan. bottomline is, whether you like led zeppelin or not, the fact is these people went out, formed a band, wrote songs, recorded albums, went on tour, had a constant lineup and only stopped when their drummer died; they got (and get) shit from people everywhere and also, a lot of people think they are not that shabby, in fact, a lot of musicians like them a lot, which inspired them to grab guitars write songs and tour and do shit. that's DOING something, not just sitting on your ass in front of a screen having some pity delusion on a wasted life, thinking how much better they are than a band that existed and matter for so many people today and before; which is sad but mostly i don't care.

and i find it hilarious that people started bitching here about people liking "rock" bands on the forum of a rock band. that borders on the retarded.

can i go past the line and behave like a smartass hipster? perhaps you can see it that way; while i don't like music for the sake of liking music (whether is hip or not), sometimes i give that idea because i simply like discovering new stuff and i like a huge range, from poppy and singalong to abrasive and difficult. but one thing is for sure, i don't think i'm better than anyone who obviously has talent and dedication and i also would probably be sad and pathetic if all i did was bitch about bands i don't like on a message board, i do music, i do a podcast, i do a fanzine/blog, i try to be productive. everyone has an opinion and is entitled to voice it, but the weight that opinion carries relies on what the person is doing.

or in the immortal words of ian mackaye: "you tell me that i make no difference/at least i'm fucking trying...AND WHAT THE FUCK HAVE YOU DONE?"

A great post. Although I can't stand Fugazi. Actually, !"£$%'s comparing Led Zep to Elvis makes me want to go back to Led Zep.

The only problem I can see is - if I were to slag off rock band x for whatever reason, AND I happened to be exceptionally active as a musician, would that really make my opinion any more valid? Some bands work as hard as they can all their lives and are still shite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2006, 06:31 AM   #124
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
I'm peeking in on page 7 of this thread and what I'm gonna say is probably redundant but here I go:

Zeppelin was a very important and influential band for many other bands. The problem with some people is that they refuse to learn about the past in order to understand the present and the future. For example some kids today (I say this being 22, not much of an adult I know) want to alternate tune their guitars and start playing grunge/experimental which is ok, BUT they will never progress past that...its sad I know, you will have to learn songs like Brown Eyed Girl before you can progress to the funner things. The same with musical taste, you have to explore the basics (in this case Zeppelin) befoire you can fullly appreciate the seemingly more interesting and appealing bands out there. My point is that without growing up through years 7-11 constantly blasting the classsics (Zeppelin, Hendrix, Elvis, Miles, Floyd and others) my understanding and overall ability to grasp every kind of good music would have been hindered. I'm sure many people feel that Zeppelin is way overplayed on the radio and that makes them a burned out band, well I agree, what songs the radio plays are not the best and are not much more than dated rock. But, explore the albums, the more you do, the more you will find the hidden treasures lying there waiting for you, the songs that you will say...hey what the hell, why isn't THIS on the radio. Its what me and my bro have always said : Zeppelin radio music is some of the most annoying and grating stuff around, but the majority of the non-radio stuff is just good music.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2006, 08:11 AM   #125
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
I considered working that part about what's played on the radio into one of my posts, & you did it so well.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2006, 10:18 AM   #126
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdTv
I'm peeking in on page 7 of this thread and what I'm gonna say is probably redundant but here I go:

Zeppelin was a very important and influential band for many other bands. The problem with some people is that they refuse to learn about the past in order to understand the present and the future. For example some kids today (I say this being 22, not much of an adult I know) want to alternate tune their guitars and start playing grunge/experimental which is ok, BUT they will never progress past that...its sad I know, you will have to learn songs like Brown Eyed Girl before you can progress to the funner things. The same with musical taste, you have to explore the basics (in this case Zeppelin) befoire you can fullly appreciate the seemingly more interesting and appealing bands out there. My point is that without growing up through years 7-11 constantly blasting the classsics (Zeppelin, Hendrix, Elvis, Miles, Floyd and others) my understanding and overall ability to grasp every kind of good music would have been hindered. I'm sure many people feel that Zeppelin is way overplayed on the radio and that makes them a burned out band, well I agree, what songs the radio plays are not the best and are not much more than dated rock. But, explore the albums, the more you do, the more you will find the hidden treasures lying there waiting for you, the songs that you will say...hey what the hell, why isn't THIS on the radio. Its what me and my bro have always said : Zeppelin radio music is some of the most annoying and grating stuff around, but the majority of the non-radio stuff is just good music.

I'm not picking on you today, it just so happens that I want to say something to two posts.

BUT.

There was an interview with Haino in the Wire a few months back (the Invisible Jukebox one) where he's saying he's glad he never saw Hendrix - musicians end up carrying their influences around like an albatross sometimes.

I entirely agree with the sentiment that some music is better than its fans, and there are a lot of very, very large bands that are actually beyond the merit of their vulgar appeal (The Justin Timberlake album springs to mind here) - I think musicians need to be careful though. Part of my problem with the Beatles (Can/ worms) is that they influenced loads of bands, but also prohibited the exploration of those bands. While the Beatles themselves would probably never have wanted for their music to become standarised, the less-imaginative bands who followed treated their music as sacrosanct - and it becomes very difficult to hear the original when you've heard what happens afterwards. This is more of a problem with rock bands than it is pop bands (I hate these divisions, but they apply here). Elvis was a personality, a look, a mythology and a type of music (in that order). The Beatles were a music, and that music has become bastardised and repeated to the point where the original is severely lessened in its effect. The same, I think, applies to the Zep-haters. It's not to say that there's no merit there (and I for one am going to buy some Zep as a result of this thread), but that the merit is obscured by the mythology of the music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2006, 09:46 AM   #127
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
So... anyway...

What do you think? Should I buy Led Zep IV?

Or not?

Old 08.21.2006, 10:02 AM   #128
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
no, do you really think a year from now your going to think to yourself, man i am glad i got that led zeppelin vinyl. no it sounds exactly like you expect it would so fuck it.
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2006, 10:03 AM   #129
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I know. I wasn't being serious.
Old 08.21.2006, 10:05 AM   #130
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i certainly see what Glice is trying to say.

for once, i'm all but too happy i wasn't of age musically in the 80's because i enjoy hair metal, new wave and a lot of those pop radio hits from that era (and before, really), and i have thought that maybe i wouldhave hated with a passion all that music since radio and tv would have been trying to cram it down my throat day and night and i of course would have gone outside the mainstream for good, inspired music; so, seeing it at a distance makes me appreciate it without the social connotations, without the "i can't believe you are listening to that"

for me, also growing up, i wasn't born into a scene or anything so i never stigamtized any sort of music by it's own (it took critics to do it for me), i was a metalhead with the uniform and everything in junior high school but i never even blinked that i liked punk too, i liked everything from the pistols to green day (hardcore and all that was very different to get here at that time) and i also liked grunge, from like alice in chains (which were accepted for metaldom) to like candlebox and collective soul. so i don't know, had i gotten into music by association, maybe i wouldn't be so open minded and stuff, so maybe i'm not some regular guy you can ask stuff about.

for the past couple of years, i've had opened up to styles of music i had not gotten the chance to get, stuff that i might have once thought it was crappy music or maybe i did think of it as such (case in point: sonic youth) and some of it has been very rewarding; sure, it sucks to find out you were just late enough to not enjoy certain bands when they were still together but whatever. today i'm even less concerned about the social implications of music than before, i have gone to concerts where people are completely different than me but i don't care since i want to watch the show, before it was something i would ponder; there was a time i ran from anything remotely hippie and now i enjoy stuff like jefferson airplane...

i guess what i'm trying to say is that, in my opinion, not liking certain music because of the people who like it, the social context in which it started (read: scene) or the historic connotations it may have is petty and superficial, at the end of the day, what matters is if the music is good to you or not.

like it was said by someone wise (i've read it from everyone from lemmy to hendrix): "there's only two kinds of music, music you like and music you don't like"
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2006, 09:28 PM   #131
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddylikes

In throught the out door is their greatest album.

Led Zeppelin - The Lost Sessions Vol.4 EVSD
by igloo

Led Zeppelin
In Through The Out Door Sessions
Two locations:
Stockholm (SWEDEN)
Polar Studios
Royal Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire (ENGLAND)
Clearwell Castle
"Lost Sessions Volume 4" (EVSD)
Silvers > WAV > FLAC8

DISC 1
November - December 1978, Polar Studios
1. All My Love (rough mix / take) 7:56
2. Unreleased song drum track 2:14
3. Carouselambra drum track 2:40
4. Ozone Baby drum track 3:47
5. Ozone Baby drum track 3:18
6. All My Love drum track 7:19
7. Wearing and Tearing drum track 4:46
8. I'm Gonna Crawl drum segment 0:07
9. Fool In the Rain drum track 4:14
TDT 36:21

DISC 2
May 1978, Clearwell Castle
1. Fire 4:15
2. Carouselambra (takes 1-3) 12:36

November - December 1978, Polar Studios

3. Carouselambra (instrumental) 10:53
4. fragment 0:07
5. Wearing and Tearing 5:32
6. Fool In the Rain 6:15
7. Hot Dog 3:26
8. In the Evening 6:29
9. Southbound Suarez 4:18
10. Darlene 5:13
11. Fool In the Rain 6:12
12. Carouselambra 8:39
TDT 57:04

Liberated Jan 2005 - JAMESKG

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2006, 11:34 PM   #132
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
I love Zeppelin.

It amuses me when people post on certain boards or myspace or wherever: "OMG, Led Zepplin are my favourite band". You'd think people could spell their favourite bands correctly.
Old 10.01.2006, 02:12 AM   #133
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses

Old 10.01.2006, 02:13 AM   #134
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
i like them a lot but you know it's not a crime if you don't have any zeppelin. don't buy in through the out door whatever you do.
Old 11.17.2006, 05:05 PM   #135
gmku
invito al cielo

Today I bought my first Led Zeppelin. I now own IV. Seven bucks for a nice, clean circa late 70s reissue LP. There was also a 20 buck French import copy (used), but I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

yeah, like so what, right? Go ahead and say it. What do I want? A badge? Or a chest to pin it on?
gmku is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2006, 05:12 PM   #136
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
they are kinda overrated.

i could go for zep when im in the mood.

get II, now
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2006, 05:14 PM   #137
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Today I bought my first Led Zeppelin. I now own IV. Seven bucks for a nice, clean circa late 70s reissue LP. There was also a 20 buck French import copy (used), but I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

yeah, like so what, right? Go ahead and say it. What do I want? A badge? Or a chest to pin it on?

no fool-- give us your goddamn review-- zoso is nice but when you are in the mood try I. I is fucking strange and dark and wonderful and barebones and explosive.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2006, 05:20 PM   #138
gmku
invito al cielo

I haven't had time to listen carefully enough for a review, but off the top of my head, I can say the only real flaw is the damned "Stairway..." track. I've never liked that song. The rest is sweet hippie gypsy rockandroll miscreant abandon. It's better than I remember it being back in my old school days.

I'll keep my eyes open for good vinyl copies of I and II now.
gmku is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2006, 05:24 PM   #139
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
stairway to heaven is not that bad, i have been told that it was THE makeout song back at some point in the 70's, the problem with it is that it's been overplayed-- kinda like beethoven's 9th symphony, which is a wonderful one but has been abused.

anyway, enjoy, and death to prejudice!

--
ps- just so you know, III has one of the best covers ever, he heh...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2006, 05:25 PM   #140
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
i love to play stairway. it sounds nice.
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth