Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page is there an Avatar thread?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.24.2009, 06:30 PM   #101
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Come on, let him/her be.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2009, 06:40 PM   #102
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
Come on, let him/her be.

How can anyone be mentally affected by a stream of fonts they read on a computer screen? It's totally superfluous.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2009, 07:04 PM   #103
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Is it affected or effected, then?
Back on topic, I'll go watch Avatar in 3d when it gets released here at Hellmouth.
I love you all and it's raining.
Campari.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2009, 10:20 PM   #104
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
More:

I'm trying to get a handle on exactly what people didn't like about this movie.

When you buy a movie ticket, you also need to enter the 'willing suspense of disbelief' mode. Sure, its not always possible to do that but in this case it was easy for me.

I was greatly moved by its beauty. I bought into the navi's love of the place. I totally want a Navi girlfriend. They are just totally yummy.

While I am surrounded by a house full of material things, I know I could be perfectly happy in a world like that. Having lived in an extremely beautiful place, I believe that some places should just not be touched--no matter how valuable the substance underneath is.

Yeah, I'm a fantasy fiction geek. I didn't even know movie had 'dragons' in it: I loved their depiction. A little bit similar to the McCaffrey dragons with the 'usb' in place of a purely mental connection. I'm currently reading C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy and this movie reminded me very much of Perelandra.

So yeah, I drank the koolaid. I bought the story, I bought the dialog, I bought the relationships between the characters. (I think Ms. Weaver was a bit over the top at the beginning.) I think the character felt appropriate emotions and portrayed them very well.

I gotta say, I totally forgot about the motion capture aspects of this. The same day there was one of those 'first look' things on HBO where they showed some of the mo-cap process. It really couldn't have been done with pure animation--they've gotten good but not that good... And god, the graphics were so good--this was such perfect looking texture to the war paint the characters were wearing near the end.

So in a way, this movie was just about made for me.

But can those of you who were less than thrilled give me examples of poor dialog or something specific you didn't like?
Old 12.25.2009, 12:29 PM   #105
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
It's only the pseuds who expected to see another "Citizen Kane" that are whinging over it.
Old 12.25.2009, 12:44 PM   #106
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Actually no, I had no expectation at all of this being some great Kane level cinematic masterpiece, but that doesn't mean I wasn't a bit let down by the sheer volume of cliches and cheese laid on in the film. I mean Unobtainium? Seriously Cameron. Subtle as fuck. That said, I saw it in IMAX, and the experience was so awe inspiring that I didn't really care too much about the deficiencies in the script, and really enjoyed the whole thing. I just sort of felt that if they were going to invest like a billion dollars in pushing the boundaries of what cinema could be visually, and creating the spectacle by which blockbusters will be measured for a generation, which they successfully did, then they could at least have tried to make it a bit more than a shallow thrill ride from a script perspective....
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.25.2009, 01:50 PM   #107
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by akprodr
When you buy a movie ticket, you also need to enter the 'willing suspense of disbelief' mode.
But can you honestly expect me to enjoy a movie in which I need to suspend all those elements that I enjoy in films? I can put up with suspending one or two elements for the sake of an insightful premise but not for the technological novelty of what seems to me to be an over-glorified pixar adventure.

Quote:
But can those of you who were less than thrilled give me examples of poor dialog or something specific you didn't like?
Why must I be specific when you can cite beauty? Honestly, I haven't seen the film nor do I believe I need to in order to decide not to see it. Really, though, I'm becoming just as tired of explaining why I don't want to see Avatar as much as you are probably tired of hearing my reasons.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.25.2009, 03:14 PM   #108
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
What the fuck is Ubontanium you fucking Nerd!???
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.26.2009, 06:42 AM   #109
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Unobtanium is a real term.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.26.2009, 07:02 AM   #110
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Once unobtainium is obtainable, is it still unobtainium?

Old 12.26.2009, 07:28 AM   #111
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
But can you honestly expect me to enjoy a movie in which I need to suspend all those elements that I enjoy in films? I can put up with suspending one or two elements for the sake of an insightful premise but not for the technological novelty of what seems to me to be an over-glorified pixar adventure.

Why must I be specific when you can cite beauty? Honestly, I haven't seen the film nor do I believe I need to in order to decide not to see it. Really, though, I'm becoming just as tired of explaining why I don't want to see Avatar as much as you are probably tired of hearing my reasons.

How can you be judgmental over a movie you haven't seen? Your opinion is just speculation on the biased hearsay of pseuds.
Old 12.26.2009, 02:13 PM   #112
pbradley
invito al cielo

No, I read the synopsis.

I can be judgmental of a movie without seeing it just as I can judge any consumer product without purchasing it first. But if you consider discerning consumers as pseuds, then I suppose that goes further to explain your subscription to the Daily Mail.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth