Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.24.2017, 09:28 AM   #48941
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
2001:

Aphex Twin - Drukqs

Yeah, of course, this x 1,000. I would have mentioned it before, but I was kind of making a point about rock-type stuff, and this didn't really fit.
It's so weird that this album got such a luke warm response. Rolling Stone gave it 1 star, then turned around and gave it 4/5 in its printed album guide.
Pitchfork, which at the time was just a bunch of kids faking expertise, gave it a 5.5/10 Now they write features about how "Avril 14" is RDJ's most influential and transformative track (which I don't actually think is true, but it certainly has become part of the zeitgeist). Q Magazine? 2 stars. Spin? 5/10. But it's now pretty universally adored. Or at least, people pretend to adore it because they like "Blame Game" or they're just going off of what others have said. Either way, it was my favorite Aphex Twin album for YEARS. Now I think I prefer a few of the others, but I still think of Drukqs as one of RDJ's most challenging and powerful works.

Quote:
Bjork - Vespertine
Cannibal Ox - Cold Vein
Jay-Z - The Blueprint
Pixies - Complete B Sides
Radiohead - Amnesiac
Gorillas - Gorillaz
Low - Things We Lost In The Fire
The Microphones - The Glow Pt. 2
Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You

^ Yup. But don't forget:
Jim O'Rourke - Insignificance
Mouse on Mars - Idiology
Fennesz - Endless Summer
Daft Punk - Discovery
Stereolab - Sound-Dust
A Silver Mt. Zion - Born into Trouble as Sparks Fly Upward
Bonnie "Prince" Billy - Ease Down the Road
And the freaking Argument!

Can't agree with some of your choices there. Jimmy Eat World? Bush? Negatory mon frer.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2017, 09:43 AM   #48942
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Can't agree with some of your choices there. Jimmy Eat World? Bush? Negatory mon frer.

don't expect you to. But hey, I worked in a record store at the time and as such was exposed to all kinds of things. Honestly, Bleed American is an album that I heard so much that year that it just is like, part of that year of my life. It's not some game-changer of an album or even an important album. But if I hear it now, I still enjoy it.

As you've mentioned before, I'm pretty beyond the point of giving any F's about what's cool and whatever. I'm under the impression that I'm the most-uncool dude here as far as "taste" is concerned. But I'm okay w/ that cuz I'm real about it. I promise that you'll never seee me pretend to like some arty album that I don't to look cool. And I'll totally admit that I still listen to Bush. IDGAF y'all can come at me. hahaha.

But yeah, 2001 was a crazy year for music. That list I made was outlining stuff that I was listening to at the time, and still enjoy today. There were a few that I almost included - like Endless Summer - that I was into at the time but in all honestly haven't listened to since probably 2002 or so. And I'm totally sure that I'm forgetting lots of good stuff that is just a blur in my head of like "was that released in 2001 or 2000 or 2002?"
Old 07.24.2017, 09:06 PM   #48943
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses

Everclear
The Vegas Years
2008, Back in the late 90's Everclear released a promo EP consisting entirely of covers. It was good stuff - The Stooges, Yaz, The Go Go's, Neil Young... And I guess I figured that The Vegas Years was basically an expanded official version of that EP. I was half right. So some of those songs appear here (sadly, no "Search And Destroy" and no "Walk Don't Run"). But the weird thing is - as Art has been wont to do these days - several of those tracks have been overdubbed to feature his new Everclear 2.0 band, which is kind of a slap in the face to Craig and Greg. Those original recordings were great how they were. Anyway, this is a covers album by the book for Everclear. And I do enjoy covers albums. But I don't know, a lot of it feels pretty stiff. "Rich Girl" works better than I'd have guessed. But "This Land Is Your Land" is pretty cringe worthy. And covering "American Girl" or "Brown Eyed Girl" feels borderline wedding band. On the other hand, covering theme songs to "Land Of The Lost" and "Speed Racer" is at least INTERESTING. And their live take on "Jenny" is at least rocking for a wedding band. Overall it's a fairly good idea for the band who were always happy to play covers. I just kind of wish that it focused on archiving the original history of the band's covers more, instead of trying to shape a new record out of those old recordings. The new version of Everclear plays it a little too safe, resulting in something that unfortunately does sound a bit too "Vegas-y" for my taste. It's not a horrible album, but I feel like it could have been much better.
Old 07.24.2017, 09:51 PM   #48944
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
don't expect you to. But hey, I worked in a record store at the time and as such was exposed to all kinds of things. Honestly, Bleed American is an album that I heard so much that year that it just is like, part of that year of my life. It's not some game-changer of an album or even an important album. But if I hear it now, I still enjoy it.

As you've mentioned before, I'm pretty beyond the point of giving any F's about what's cool and whatever. I'm under the impression that I'm the most-uncool dude here as far as "taste" is concerned. But I'm okay w/ that cuz I'm real about it. I promise that you'll never seee me pretend to like some arty album that I don't to look cool. And I'll totally admit that I still listen to Bush. IDGAF y'all can come at me. hahaha.

But yeah, 2001 was a crazy year for music. That list I made was outlining stuff that I was listening to at the time, and still enjoy today. There were a few that I almost included - like Endless Summer - that I was into at the time but in all honestly haven't listened to since probably 2002 or so. And I'm totally sure that I'm forgetting lots of good stuff that is just a blur in my head of like "was that released in 2001 or 2000 or 2002?"

Yeah, I love this about you too man. I promise I won't ever pretend to like something to seem cool either, because liking something doesn't make you cool. Plenty of assholes love all the edgiest, newest shit. I like your posts because they're refreshing, and I feel like we actually have a lot in common... just not specific artists.

But seriously, I fucking LOVE "Bette Davis Eyes" by Kim Carnes. I love that fucking song so much. Lame as hell, I'm sure, but whatever. Great ass song.

I also love Sinead O'Connor's "Nothing Compares 2 U" MORE than I like the Prince/The Family version.

And Nine Inch Nails of course.

We all good bro. I just don't listen to any f**in' Everclear beyond Sparkle & Fade. Not because it's not cool, but because I can't find a goddamn thing to like about it. Doesn't make my brain feel good.

Have you ever heard of "trash culture?" It's mostly a film thing, but it's basically folks who derive legitimate pleasure from trashy shit. I have a little bit of that in me. Not sure about you, but when you talk about Bush, I wonder

(Actually "Greedy Fly" is a good song, and so is "Swallowed" in a totally empty way.)

Blah!!!! Talking.
Old 07.24.2017, 10:23 PM   #48945
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Bette Davis Eyes rules!!!!!! As does Nothing Compares.

I'm sure I have that trash culture thing in me. Sure. I really do tend to get enjoyment out of shit most don't. I watch a lot of 90s shows and movies. Bad horror flicks etc.

Razorblade Suitcase is the best Bush album by far. Albini produced it.

You didn't like anything on So Much For The Afterglow? Listen to "why I don't believe in God"
Old 07.25.2017, 07:31 AM   #48946
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Bette Davis Eyes rules!!!!!! As does Nothing Compares.

I'm sure I have that trash culture thing in me. Sure. I really do tend to get enjoyment out of shit most don't. I watch a lot of 90s shows and movies. Bad horror flicks etc.

Razorblade Suitcase is the best Bush album by far. Albini produced it.

You didn't like anything on So Much For The Afterglow? Listen to "why I don't believe in God"

Oh I guess I liked a song or two from that one. The first one... the "This is a song about Susan" one. Liked that. Just not something I listen to as a grown up.

"Bette Davis Eyes" more than rules... it's positively heartrendering and beautiful. I rocked that shit when I was in *high school.* Probably among the greatest pop songs ever for me.
Old 07.25.2017, 07:44 AM   #48947
noisereductions
invito al cielo

the "song about susan" song is... "So Much For The Afterglow" haha. I still like that album quite a bit. I've listened to it more than once in the past year. There's a couple of cloying clunkers, but overall I think it's a solid album.

Did you ever hear any of their pre-Sparkle stuff, though? World Of Noise is awesome. Actually my favorite Everclear song ever is probably "Loser Makes Good." They had a live EP that came out after Afterglow, and I was excited that they had kept that song in the setlist even while obviously aiming for more mainstream ears.

Anyway, I'm not just saying "oh yeah I like that song too" - "Bette Davis Eyes" has also coincidentally always been one of those songs that just hits me in the friggin' heart. I don't even know if I've ever heard another Kim Carnes song in my life. Maybe? But that song is just gorgeous beyond belief.
Old 07.27.2017, 09:04 AM   #48948
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Pearl Jam
Yield
1998, Yield was marketed as some kind of "return to form" for Pearl Jam. As if it were meant to hearken back to a more straight ahead rock sound. I never really heard it that way. If anything it feels like some kind of progression - and reaction to No Code. Like the other side of that record. I don't think it's crazy to say that plenty of material here ("Brain Of J," "MFC," "Faithful") could easily have appeared on that record. It's just that this one feels a bit more comfortable. And I don't mean that as an insult. Sure much of No Code had more urgency to it, but Yield feels like a band that has allowed songs to grow organically. These compositions feel lived-in. "In Hiding" and "Wishlist" are great examples; while neither are particularly challenging, they have this great feeling and slow-burn comfort to them. It's also possible that my ears are hearing things based more on what I know. That is to say that I watched Single Video Theory (documenting the making of this album) more than a couple times back in the day. And as far as that 'return to form' goes, I will say that the rockers do rock ("Do The Evolution" being a clear standout). Like any Pearl Jam album there's a couple of missteps in the band's ill advised attempt at being experimental (looking at you, "Push Me Pull Me"), but thankfully those moments are few and far between. I'm not sure Yield was ever considered a classic in Pearl Jam's discography, but I don't think anyone ever saw it as a disaster. Personally, I think it's pretty damn great and should be remembered fondly. Even if it sounds like a transitional record or Pearl Jam playing it safe - it's still full of great songs and confident interplay between band members.
Old 07.27.2017, 10:02 AM   #48949
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

Pearl Jam
Yield
1998, Yield was marketed as some kind of "return to form" for Pearl Jam. As if it were meant to hearken back to a more straight ahead rock sound. I never really heard it that way. If anything it feels like some kind of progression - and reaction to No Code. Like the other side of that record. I don't think it's crazy to say that plenty of material here ("Brain Of J," "MFC," "Faithful") could easily have appeared on that record. It's just that this one feels a bit more comfortable. And I don't mean that as an insult. Sure much of No Code had more urgency to it, but Yield feels like a band that has allowed songs to grow organically. These compositions feel lived-in. "In Hiding" and "Wishlist" are great examples; while neither are particularly challenging, they have this great feeling and slow-burn comfort to them. It's also possible that my ears are hearing things based more on what I know. That is to say that I watched Single Video Theory (documenting the making of this album) more than a couple times back in the day. And as far as that 'return to form' goes, I will say that the rockers do rock ("Do The Evolution" being a clear standout). Like any Pearl Jam album there's a couple of missteps in the band's ill advised attempt at being experimental (looking at you, "Push Me Pull Me"), but thankfully those moments are few and far between. I'm not sure Yield was ever considered a classic in Pearl Jam's discography, but I don't think anyone ever saw it as a disaster. Personally, I think it's pretty damn great and should be remembered fondly. Even if it sounds like a transitional record or Pearl Jam playing it safe - it's still full of great songs and confident interplay between band members.

"Push Me Pull Me" is great! That chorus is excellent! Yeah, the lyrics are kind of whaaat and Vedder's cadence is a bit silly doing the whole spoken-word Lee Ranaldo thing, but I still think it's a good song.

No Code probably has higher highs ("Sometimes," "Hail, Hail," "In my Tree," "Smile") but it also has lower lows ("Red Mosquito.") I always liked Yield in general. I saw them on this tour (among others) and they had settled down a bit, but they were still solid.

I think this sort of marked the end of their commercial dominance... sales declined considerably with each album, but this No Code really took a hit and I don't even think this one hit #1. But it has some good PJ songs, like "Brain of J," "Faithful," "Guven to Fly," "MFC," "All Those Yesterdays."

This was the last PJ album that I really liked. I had to force myself to listen to Binnaural, and forget about the rest. But Yield definitely wasn't a failure.
Old 07.27.2017, 10:16 AM   #48950
noisereductions
invito al cielo

you always surprise me. For some reason I didn't think you'd like this album.

I totally agree that the highs on No Code are higher. Although the other big surprise was that you cited "Red Mosquito" as a low - that's my favorite song on No Code!

My favorite track on Yield is "All Those Yesterdays" btw.

Binaural isn't bad... but it is pretty unexceptional.
Old 07.27.2017, 10:54 AM   #48951
Severian
invito al cielo

I probably wouldn't like it much if I listened today. Probably wouldn't make it through more than half of it. But I have good memories of it, and I consider it their last strong album. They played a good show on the tour behind this record. I saw them in Seattle and I believe one of the Live on Two Legs performances was taken from the show I attended. Not sure which though. Kinda cool.
Old 07.27.2017, 11:03 AM   #48952
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Live On Two Legs is like a perfect compliment to Yield. Man... Yield, Live On Two Legs and Single Video Theory were all released in 98. Such a good solid PJ year haha.

Out of curiosity I checked Wikipedia for source dates, and nothing on Two Legs was recorded in Washington, though.
Old 07.27.2017, 02:10 PM   #48953
confusion is next
bad moon rising

confusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's asses

rock n garage low fi great vibe
confusion is next is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2017, 03:04 PM   #48954
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
that dog is a 90s band with some good songs.

They reunited and have a kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-album-in-19-y
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2017, 03:14 PM   #48955
noisereductions
invito al cielo

That Dog was awesome. They did a lot of stuff w/ Beck. Re-recorded "Girl Dreams," "Totally Confused," etc. Awesome. Thanks for the link!
Old 07.27.2017, 07:13 PM   #48956
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Drjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
that dog is a 90s band with some good songs.

They reunited and have a kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-album-in-19-y

Thanks for the heads up, evollove. I used to take some flack from "hip" musical acquaintances for liking That Dog. Glad to hear they're back in action.
Drjohnrock is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2017, 08:30 PM   #48957
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Live On Two Legs is like a perfect compliment to Yield. Man... Yield, Live On Two Legs and Single Video Theory were all released in 98. Such a good solid PJ year haha.

Out of curiosity I checked Wikipedia for source dates, and nothing on Two Legs was recorded in Washington, though.

Huh. Really. I swear it was in the booklet. Oh well, been a decade since I looked at the thing.
Old 07.27.2017, 08:36 PM   #48958
Severian
invito al cielo

That's kind of shitty of them, since they made a big honking deal about the two homecoming concerts they played at Memorial Stadium. Silly that nothing from those shows would make the album.

Stupid that "Faithful" wasn't on the album.

Wonder how that idea got into my head.
Old 07.29.2017, 01:43 PM   #48959
Severian
invito al cielo

Ben Frost - Threshold of Faith

New EP recorded by Steve Albini
Old 07.29.2017, 05:51 PM   #48960
confusion is next
bad moon rising

confusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's asses

confusion is next is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
1948234823982438244524462447 2448 244924502451245824982548 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth