NYC Ghosts & Flowers (2000) 10 10.10%
Murray Street (2002) 33 33.33%
Sonic Nurse (2004) 41 41.41%
Rather Ripped (2006) 15 15.15%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10.03.2006, 02:51 PM   #41
lunberg
bad moon rising

lunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikJesus
Sonic Nurse is a masterpiece. I consider it better than DDN. Every song is good. It's a very underrated album. But I love all of the '00s albums. After Nurse, I can't pick an order for the remaining three albiums. I like them equally.

same for me, except i'd put murray street right after it.
lunberg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2006, 03:21 PM   #42
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Nurse and then NYCG&F.
Old 10.03.2006, 03:40 PM   #43
lunberg
bad moon rising

lunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
Frankly, I don't see why people seem to love Sonic Nurse and Murray Street so much...for me MS had "Karenology/Karen Revisited" and "Radical Adults Lick Godhead Style" ("Rain On Tin" is a good song, but it's hardly the masterpiece some fans/critics make it out to be), while SN had no really good songs after "Stones" ("Paper Cut Exit" was OK, but I think Lee's done/can do better, and "I Love You Golden Blue" had a cool intro but after that the track was weak IMO)...

I think the expression "Too many cooks spoil the broth" works in the case of Sonic Youth's 2000s...Jim O'Rourke might be good with Gaster Del Sol and such, but with SY he did nothing but weigh down the band and overcomplicate things, turning them into a second-rate Wilco ripoff at best and weak post-rockers at worst.

For me, Rather Ripped is more cohesive and propulsive, now that they've shed the excess baggage...I haven't heard enough of NYC Ghosts and Flowers to judge there, but what I have heard I like...

SY a second rate Wilco !! You have to be kidding me!! Some people just seem to be pissed that SY can actually offer interesting music with elaborate structure ( not just your verse chorus verse stuff). What you call excess baggage is for me what makes it(SN) a good record : the multiple intertwining melodic lines, the long musical development is the work of true craftsman that envisage the song as a whole and not just one melodic hook + several clichéd development (Incinerate baby !!). I see no link with post rock at all, SN owes more to jazz(unmade bed, i love you golden blue, peace attack) and punk(Pattern recognition, Mariah...).

Rather ripped is cohesive and propulsive but ultimately it lacks mystery; Every song (a part from Jams run free and Rats ) is so damn predictable, which is the last thing SY qualfiies for.
lunberg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2006, 04:11 PM   #44
satirejohn
bad moon rising

satirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's asses
Murray Street quite easily. I'm surprised it isn't the clear winner. their best since DDN.
satirejohn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2006, 05:39 PM   #45
HeatherAngel
empty page

HeatherAngel has tongues queuing up for a rim-festHeatherAngel has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
dude....nurse is awsome...

AND RR
HeatherAngel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2006, 06:25 PM   #46
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Its a Shame NYCG&F is doing so badly, I really think that record is one of the greatest records they've ever put out, although I ultimately voted for Sonic Nurse, NYCG&F was very close. I think NYCG&F holds together much better as an album than 'Murray Street' does (one of the very few problems with Rather Ripped). I tend to listen to only a few songs on MS (Karenology and Radical Adults Lick Godhead Style mainly), where I listen to NYCG&F as a whole piece. I still adore 'Murray Street' though. I suppose such is the level of excellence in their 00's output its difficult to decide.

PS; That Pitchfork review for NYCG&F was bollocks
Old 10.03.2006, 06:42 PM   #47
kittens
empty page

kittens has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I dunno, getting a 0.0 is pretty damn impressive.
kittens is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2006, 06:48 PM   #48
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah i suppose, worse still they got a o.o, in some ways thats better than getting an luke warm review, still I question the taste of any reviewer that doesn't dig Lou Reed's 'Metal Machine Music'
Old 10.03.2006, 08:31 PM   #49
Androol
the destroyed room

Androol kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
I cannot believe nurse is winning. Such a shit album. It's like a less watered down Rather Ripped.

sorry but dude ranch nurse is my new favorite song
Androol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2006, 08:57 PM   #50
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunberg
SY a second rate Wilco !! You have to be kidding me!! Some people just seem to be pissed that SY can actually offer interesting music with elaborate structure ( not just your verse chorus verse stuff). What you call excess baggage is for me what makes it(SN) a good record : the multiple intertwining melodic lines, the long musical development is the work of true craftsman that envisage the song as a whole and not just one melodic hook + several clichéd development (Incinerate baby !!). I see no link with post rock at all, SN owes more to jazz(unmade bed, i love you golden blue, peace attack) and punk(Pattern recognition, Mariah...).

Rather ripped is cohesive and propulsive but ultimately it lacks mystery; Every song (a part from Jams run free and Rats ) is so damn predictable, which is the last thing SY qualfiies for.

You read my mind. I was going to say something similar when I read that post. With Jim, the songs were so complex and well put together. They were truly masterpieces. Now, the songs are less complex and are more predictable (but I still like them). That's probably why RR sounds like it does; because Jim is not there. That's not to say that SY can't make complex songs as a four piece. A Thousand Leaves and Washing Machine have some amazing songs, some of which it is amazing to think that only four people are playing. I'm not saying that I want Jim back but that he helped a lot. SY kick ass as a four-piece.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2006, 09:37 PM   #52
against_the_grain
stalker

against_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard sucka
Mmmmmm...

Murray Street
Sonic Nurse
Rather Ripped
NYC-G&F

I need to listen to NYCGF again....I'm least familiar with it. I had it a few years ago...and it's slipped through the cracks. I wasn't blown away by it then, I may feel differently now.

As simple as RR is...I still love it though.....just another phase, I'm sure the next will be completely different.

Do not fear mistakes. There are none

Miles Davis
against_the_grain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2006, 10:31 PM   #53
lisayoung
little trouble girl

lisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud of
well,my fav is sonic nurse.its amazing.RR is a little shocking to me.i thought it wasn't their way.
Old 10.05.2006, 06:07 AM   #54
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

I wouldn't worry I think 'Rather Ripped' will go down like 'Experimental, Jet Set...' did, a good album but not one of their classics. Im expected a masterpiece for the next album, something that changes the whole path of the band's sound like 'Washing Machine'
Old 10.05.2006, 06:30 AM   #55
Fox
the destroyed room

Fox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's asses
NYC Ghosts & Flowers, for me. And I think it's one of their all time best albums. It's just great and NYC Ghosts & Flowers is my favorite song of the band. Great

Noisejob
Fox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2006, 06:39 AM   #56
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
Nurse
Murray Street
NYC
Rather Ripped

In that order.

Man I fucking love Nurse. Never in the history of music has an album been so constantly revealing to me. It has so many layers and little things to it that you never notice. I mean it never struck me as anything but a very good but not great album for like a year. But now it is a classic to me, truly one of my favorite of all time. Can't explain it but there is something about that album that people don't get. Maybe it's the production or something, but the thing is a fucking heavy, while it seems to be really light at the same time.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2006, 10:46 AM   #57
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
Nurse
NYC
Murray

Rather Ripped
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2006, 10:50 AM   #58
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
NYC ghosts & flowers, no doubt. amazing record,amazing live versions.
it's one of my fav albums by SY and maybe of all times.
now hit me with your magic wand and go to sleep.

Seconded... thirded and fourthed...

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2006, 10:58 AM   #59
blue sunlover
stalker

blue sunlover is just really niceblue sunlover is just really niceblue sunlover is just really niceblue sunlover is just really niceblue sunlover is just really nice
the tao of now is rather ripped.used to listen to this album in may.the only tour i saw was murray street.several months later i saw "one way" blow down on tv with the wind in california
blue sunlover is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2006, 11:00 AM   #60
blue sunlover
stalker

blue sunlover is just really niceblue sunlover is just really niceblue sunlover is just really niceblue sunlover is just really niceblue sunlover is just really nice
the best albums have the less votes
blue sunlover is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth