Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Just saw the Flaming Lips live in NYC
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.02.2006, 12:19 PM   #1
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
I have to say, It was the best concert I have ever seen. Ever, no question. It was an unbelievable experience. They are WAYYY better live than on their albums. Musically and visually they were amazing. I'd say SY surpasses them slightly as for compositon and stuff but I think now SY and Flaming lips are tied as my two alltime favorite bands.
EyeballGrowth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 12:54 PM   #2
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
I don't see how they are going to tour with SY, they seem pretty busy this summer.
Old 04.02.2006, 02:35 PM   #3
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Sweet. I love them live and on record. How did the new stuff sound?
Old 04.02.2006, 05:15 PM   #4
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth And The Fucking Flaming Lips Might Tour Together!!!????
Old 04.02.2006, 05:18 PM   #5
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

The new stuff was amazing. Like really good especially New Radicals and the W.A.N.D. Yeah yeah yeah sounded good too but I'm not too crazy about that song. Heh right after that song ended I yelled STEvEN HOW DO YOU PRONOUNCE YOUR LAST NAME? And he said Drozzed

All the stuff about them reverting to their early styles is true. The whole show was pure acid rock with loud ass distorted fuzzy guitars and lots of wah. They even played some of the stuff from Yoshimi in that style, sounded more like something off of Hit to Death in the Future Head.
Old 04.02.2006, 09:22 PM   #6
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
You know I LOVE the Flaming Lips. They are perhaps my favorite band all over. But i was kinda dissapointed w/ their new album. I know Wayne likes to keep trying new things to prevent the bands sound from getting stale, but altogether I just wasn't into At War with the Mystics. Some of the songs are pretty good and they have good lyrics (just like always) especially in the Yeah, Yeah, Yeah Song, but I wasn't too hip on the sound of the record. It reminds me of Prince (yuck). Anyone else agree or am I just dillusional?
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 09:27 PM   #7
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
But i wouldn't hesitate for a second to see them live. I have to imagine that they are the best band to see live. A total mind-fuck experience. I would even see them sober! That's how good they are. SO have they been doing a lot of their older stuff too? Like Telepathic Surgery, In A Priest Driven Ambulance, Hit to Death, Transmissions, Clouds Taste Metallic....cuz it would kinda suck to have them just play their new stuff (even though that would be fun too).
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 09:40 PM   #8
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I just ordered my copy so I won't hear it for about another week.
Old 04.03.2006, 02:12 PM   #9
cellscape
little trouble girl

cellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to behold
I just saw them at Langerado. Definately the biggest dissapointment of the entire festival. No one wants to hear someone talk about Bush for 15 minutes when the band only had an hour and a half slot. They did the same thing when I saw them at Bonaroo years back. Maybe I need to see them at a venue by themselves.
cellscape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 02:31 PM   #10
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I saw them a bunch of times in the early to mid 90s; I have not been so into their newer music, but I think I would probably like to see them again. Seeing the live footage in the Fearless Freaks movie made me see how fun they would still be live, even if I prefer their older music...
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 03:41 PM   #11
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

Yeah don't get fucked up for their show, it's better sober. I got really really fucked up during the show. I usually see bands sober but someone offered me a joint and I couldn't resist ( I later found out he was an off duty NYC cop ) That's why I'm seeing them again. Basically though, I had been awake for about 30 hours and my brain was already incredibly lucid, so when I got high, I got like REALLY high, halloucinations and everything. So when the show started, Wayne Coyne came out and threw a huge fistfull of confetti in my face and there were like a million balloons everywhere and aliens and wizards shining flashlights in my face, and rainbows colored ribbons everywhere and just shit flying all over the place, yeah, that was fucking CRAZY. But then I sobered up quickly and it was way more enjoyable sober. That's my advice, see them sober. I'm glad I was sober at least half of the time

Anyways...... Forget everything you think about the new album, it all sounds amazing live. Totally different. Live it's all fucking LOUD DISTORTED FUZZY ACID ROCK, and it sounds SO much better than the albums. They even seem to play their instruments better. And lots of people think Wayne just sings and wears costumes and shit, oh no, he plays all kinds of instruments.
Old 04.03.2006, 08:21 PM   #12
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

Yeah dude you really do need to see them at a venue by themselves. At the very end of the concert they only spoke about Bush once. Wayne simply said " This song is to remind everyone that we hate George Bush "

And don't diss Prince dude, heh. That's not cool
Old 04.03.2006, 08:32 PM   #13
vacuum noise
bad moon rising

vacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's asses
i think theyre great live but I saw them on letterman and the new song was pretty dissapopointing IMO...
vacuum noise is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 08:55 PM   #14
etertiena
little trouble girl

etertiena has tongues queuing up for a rim-festetertiena has tongues queuing up for a rim-festetertiena has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
yeah seriously, whats with the prince bash?
etertiena is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2006, 11:00 PM   #15
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuum noise
i think theyre great live but I saw them on letterman and the new song was pretty dissapopointing IMO...

i had the exact opposite reaction, i hated the yeah yeah yeah song on the record (at first, long story) but when i saw them on letterman i got into it. they sounded more like butthole surfers and less like yes (where do you get the prince comparison? that's not cool!!)

i think the main mistake people make with flaming lips is not listening to their new album at ear bleeding volume.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2006, 11:33 PM   #16
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

yeah you really gotta listen to their stuff live. The yeah yeah yeah song was amazing live. Blew the album version away. Especially the intro where Steven screams that circus melody with the yeah yeah in the background. Imagine that with all the ballooons and confetti and wizards.
Old 04.07.2006, 01:10 PM   #17
darthblav
little trouble girl

darthblav ain't too shabby
The Lips definitely put on a memorable concert experience. It is crazy because I saw them in the early 90s pre-head phone concerts (transmissions), head phone concerts (which is also an experience), soft bulletin, yoshimi, beck / lips tour. It is crazy to see them change over the years. I probably seen 6 or 7 times. Alot of the songs and sets get predictable over the years but always worth it. The best was seeing them back beck up. That was an amazing show in Chicago.
Old 04.07.2006, 02:16 PM   #18
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
wow, im glad they were that good, ive got tickets to see them play in about 2 weeks time, should be awesome.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2006, 10:33 PM   #19
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't seen the lips since The Soft Bulletin-era and the only time I saw them previously was when Transmissions came out, and they were amazing then. The Soft Bulletin tour was pretty cool, but I just didn't really dig on the "recorded tracks" they used as backing music, kinda felt like they weren't playing anything. On top of that, I had seen them like 3 times during that tour and all the shows were the same because they had specific videos that went with their music.

Love the lips, but Cornelius did it better.

Get Steven back on the drums and get a real band and none of this "recorded track" stuff live.
khchris(original) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2006, 09:37 AM   #20
doctor dan
bad moon rising

doctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's asses
i saw them twice during the yoshimi tour, and they were amazing. not so much for the music (soft bulletin era is my fave), but for the amazing experience they give the audience. it reallly is like some kindof cosmic circus, with wayne as the mad scientist in the center conducting all of the madness

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth