Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The New and Improved Classical Music Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.24.2007, 12:59 PM   #1
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Likes, dislikes, reasons.

noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2007, 01:19 PM   #2
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Mahler I love because he took the full symnphony to it's limits. he created music that relied on so much depth of instrumentation and intensity. His symphionies are over the top and fabulicious.

Beethoven is a dope moterfucker, one of my favorite, and his concertos are suiblime. I am a huge fan of concertos where the composer works to create a supremely technically challenging yet beautiful pioece of music for the soloist to play. Here is Beethoven's Triple concerto (violin, cello, piano) with YoYo Ma on cello, Itzhak Perlman on violin and Daniel Barenboim (also conducting the Berlin Philharmonic) in a fantastic performance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e01FtIEeXEU

I love so much classical music.

I love Bartok, whose quartets are some of the most dissonant sonic youth-esque classical music I have ever heard. bela Bartok rules all.
here is a movement from a bartok string quartet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS247Y9BSo8

I love Wagner. His Operas are epic and massive and complex and beautiful and demanding and just exquisite. Here is palcido Domingo as Parsifal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3FlSLRzoGY
Old 01.24.2007, 01:31 PM   #3
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
a friend of mine used to play violin proffessionally. she's like 19 and a month or so ago daniel barenboim called her on her cell phone, and asked if she want to come to the states and play at carnegie hall. she told him no. because she doesnt play anymore...

i love classical music.
beethoven, mahler, shoshtokovich, stravinsky, dvorak, copland. i love em all. i'll write a more informative post later, i got some work to so...
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2007, 01:45 PM   #4
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I love Bartok, whose quartets are some of the most dissonant sonic youth-esque classical music I have ever heard. bela Bartok rules all.
here is a movement from a bartok string quartet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS247Y9BSo8

I'm writing my Master's Thesis on the 1st movement of Bartók's 2nd String Quartet right now. It is my entire life. I have to go meet with my advisor in ten minutes, but I'll write more later.

Who wants to hear about my thesis? I could go on for hours.

Mahler, Wagner, and Beethoven kick ass too, of course.

My faves:

Mahler: Symphony 4, I know, it's a weird choice.

Wagner: the Tristan Overture, Parsifal Prelude, and Siegfried-Idyll.

Beethoven: everything, how can you choose? Maybe the late String Quartets?

Got to go.
Old 01.24.2007, 01:49 PM   #5
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I played cello in school from 6th grade until graduation.

My first exposure to Bartok came when our orchestra played the Hungarian Dances.
There are some sweet cello parts in that.

I woudl liek to hear about your thesis, if you would not want to cluutter up the board you can PM me or email me about it.

if anyone wants to donate to the "Get roberto Instigator a cello" fund, please do so.
Old 01.24.2007, 02:54 PM   #6
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Leos Janacek, especially Sinfonietta and Danses Lachiennes, for reasons I can't fully explain due to not being someone who understands why some musical things stand out as interesting or different. Maybe I agree with Wikipedia that His work is tonal, although it employs a vastly expanded view of tonality, and is marked by unorthodox spacings, often making use of modality.

Henry Purcell, because his work is just beautiful.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2007, 03:15 PM   #7
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Good thread. I've been enjoying Saint-Saen, Hildegaard 'Hildy' Von Bingen, Ligeti's Clocks and Clouds and odds and sods of downloaded early music. I've also rediscovered that I actually quite like Pendrecki's 8th and Shostokovich's 13th lately, which I didn't give much time to when I initially bought them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2007, 09:12 PM   #8
touch me i'm sick
expwy. to yr skull

touch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's asses
i love bach
touch me i'm sick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2007, 01:11 AM   #9
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Mostly I lean towards 20th Century composers, many who don't necessarily get accepted as "classical", but certainly aren't making "popular" music either. John Cage being my hands down favorite, but also Stravinsky, Stockhausen, Harry Partch, Ligeti, Pauline Oliveros, Arvo Part, Bartok, the Futurists, Walter/Wendy Carlos (both as composer and interpreter), Ornette Coleman (he wrote some really cool string compositions in the '60s!), the Kronos Quartet (I've learned much from who they choose to play.)

The line where classical and experimental meet is a favorite place of mine.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2007, 10:06 AM   #10
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses
i'm doing an excerpt this evening in college from the rape of lucretia by britten. i play collatinus and we are doing the final scene where lucretia kills herself. really powerful stuff.

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2007, 05:37 PM   #11
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic sphere
i'm doing an excerpt this evening in college from the rape of lucretia by britten. i play collatinus and we are doing the final scene where lucretia kills herself. really powerful stuff.

Awesome - I listened to that opera one time on an LP from the library. Britten is cool, I played his 3rd Suite for Solo Cello on my junior recital. His non-vocal music isn't very well known, but I think it should be. How'd it go?

Old 02.03.2007, 06:37 PM   #12
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i barely know any classical music, but if anyone can recommend stuff to check out that you would recommend to someone who likes lou harrison then please do recommend it to me.

also glice, i've never heard hildegaard von bingen but i played this to a friend of mine recently and he said if i like that i'd like HVonB, so maybe the reverse is true too. Regard this:

here's an mp3
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2007, 06:50 PM   #13
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

If you like that Ars Nova stuff, I recommend Machaut: Messe de Notre Dame and the Motets.
Old 02.04.2007, 03:21 PM   #14
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

Bartók's Second String Quartet I. Moderato:

It's a sonata form. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonata_Form
Old 02.04.2007, 03:25 PM   #15
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for that.Classical music is a genre i need serious coaching in, like i've stated in a thread i started a while ago.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2007, 03:37 PM   #16
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

No problem. Here's a formal plan:

There's no Introduction.

Exposition 0:00 - 3:49

Primary Theme: 0:00
Transition: 0:53
Second Theme Group: 1:34
Closing Theme: 3:20

Development: 3:49 - 6:03

Recapitulation: 6:03 - 8:58

Primary Theme: 6:03
Transition: 7:01
Second Theme Group: 7:27
Closing Theme: 8:32

Coda: 8:58 - end (10:34)
Old 02.05.2007, 08:04 AM   #17
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noumenal
Awesome - I listened to that opera one time on an LP from the library. Britten is cool, I played his 3rd Suite for Solo Cello on my junior recital. His non-vocal music isn't very well known, but I think it should be. How'd it go?

Anyway, a recent discovery of mine is Schnittke's Concerto Grossi. Here's a present, the 2nd movement of the first one:

http://download.yousendit.com/AC31CAFB3C8B8B64

yeah it went fine thanks. just started learning claggart's aria from billy budd and it's a real bitch to get right!

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2007, 08:56 AM   #18
compulsive diarrhea, jico
100%

compulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's asses
i'm not a connaisseur of classical music. yes i'm dumb. and stupid. yeah.

recommend me some classical music.
compulsive diarrhea, jico is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2007, 12:53 PM   #19
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by compulsive diarrhea, jico
i'm not a connaisseur of classical music. yes i'm dumb. and stupid. yeah.

recommend me some classical music.

Bach. Good starting place. Why not.

Goldberg Variations
Well Tempered Clavier (Book One to start)
Brandenburg Concertos
St. Matthew Passion
Suites for Cello
Orchestral Suites
Solo Concertos (I like the Violin ones)

Good stuff, and there's lots more than that.

The Minimalists are also popular with rock/pop folks. Ask around for some Reich, Young, Riley, Adams, Glass and so on recommedations.

There's a lot of overlap in the free improv circles too, if you're into that.
Old 02.07.2007, 01:55 PM   #20
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Bach is one ruling motherfucker. his sonatas for cello are amazing and still sound thouroughly modern.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth