Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page What Jay Bennett's Death Made Me Realize About Wilco
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.28.2009, 01:14 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.spin.com/blog/what-jay-be...ze-about-wilco

A multi-instrumentalist and studio wiz, he helped Wilco shed its alt-country tag and move into the immersive, unclassifiable sonic territory they become known for. Bennett's Wilco debut Being There was a huge step forward, and by the time Summerteeth came out in 1999, they sounded like a completely different band. The songs were fuller, warmer, the standard guitar-and-drums set-up of A.M. had been supplemented by a lush psychedelic impressionism that was largely a product of Bennett's masterful work with farfisa organ, bells, Moog, lap steel guitar, banjo, synthesizer, and other instrumental exotica.

Yesterday I listened to Summerteeth and tried to imagine it without these contributions. How would "Can't Stand It" sound without those dramatic bell chimes that double the guitar chords at the opening? Would "I'm Always in Love" be half as good without the chirpy, Cars-ish analog synth? And would "She's A Jar" be anywhere near as heartbreaking without that soft, sighing organ that coos through the verses? Or those stately, orchestral synths that rise to bring in the chorus? Or that gentle oboe-like keyboard phrase that caresses the line "dry your eyes, you poor devil"?
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2009, 01:19 PM   #2
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Cool, though it didn't take him dying for me to realize that he turned Wilco into what they are.

Uncle Tupelo = Dark Crystal

Wilco = UrRu

Sun Volt = Skeksis

Jay Bennet = Jen, The Gelfling (well, that's a stretch, since he didn't bring them back together...)
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2009, 05:46 PM   #3
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
I think A Ghost Is Born is a good album, but other than that, they've been really mediocre since he left. Still a great live band anyway.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth