Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Religion thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.18.2017, 07:31 PM   #21
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I like that the religion thread wound up being more about the equally real Comic Book universe.
Nicely done!

Right. I mean, it’s all just ideas, right? Scientifically, there is no more evidence in favor of God’s existence than there is of Superman’s. And both are equally non-falsifiable, so it makes sense to me to lump them together.

I choose to hope that Superman is real because I actually like Superman and Superman doesn’t make me feel shitty about myself or have questionable opinions on gays. Superman doesn’t condemn (well, except to the Phantom Zone, but is that really “condemning?”) and he represents what I would like a savior to look like. So, fuckit.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2017, 07:52 PM   #22
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
kal-el celebrates sukkot— on the moon!

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2017, 09:34 PM   #23
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I believe in Superman, but I understand that Superman almost certainly does not exist and has never existed. I would never try to make anyone believe that Superman does exist, because not even I believe this definitively; rather, I stubbornly hope he does, and I consider that hope to be a form of belief.

I understand that I am making a choice to believe in something that I have no logical reason to believe in. I apply the inverse of the falsifiability principle to my spiritual beliefs, and I maintain that in order for something to be truly knowable, it must be testable and subject to negative proof. Humans do not, at this juncture, possess the information to falsify Superman, so staunchly denying Superman’s existence would be anti-scientific.

I am open to all new information, and I hope someday someone has enough information to definitively say that Superman does or does not exist.

In short, I am an optimistic agnostic. Or Kryptonian Orthodox. Whatevs.

For more, check out my tirades in the Trump thread.

I will continue to stay far far away from that thread. But I really appreciate this post.
Old 10.19.2017, 06:20 AM   #24
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I will continue to stay far far away from that thread. But I really appreciate this post.

Thanks friend!
Old 10.27.2017, 07:01 PM   #25
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
angels!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...UFO-fears.html
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.29.2017, 02:53 PM   #26
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
angels!

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.29.2017, 10:47 PM   #27
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Wow, this is actually pretty good, productive feedback on Kryptonian Orthodox. I’ll have to review some “historical” documents and run some numbers, but I’m determined to get an answer for this. And I’m not even kind of kidding.

I'll be looking for this...
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2017, 12:45 PM   #28
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Similarities between Biblical "god" and Donald Trump

Both claim infallibility, but are still exceedingly upset when someone does not believe in them.

Both are petulant, angry, selfish assholes. the Bible god has his "chosen few" go kill anyone who is not "chosen." Trumpo also does not give a fuck about brown people, only his precious rich whites, and sends rich whites to murder the brown people worldwide.

Both are infantile, immature fucks. The Biblical "god" banishes a whole branch of humanity because it offered the wrong sacrifice.(it likes DEATH and BLOOD, not plants.) It plays life and death gmes with whole countries, because of the whim of one of it's special chosen followers. Trump fires anyone who remotely disagrees with him, event though that is the best way to understand things. a CHILD. He also relishes revenge on those that somehow "fail him" just like the stupid made-up judeochristian god.

the biblical god is a dumb piece of shit that chooses to torture his most devout follower purely because of a bet with the Devil, who the fucking stupid blblical god created.

fuck I hate any and all religion, any and all deities, any and all assholes who try to shove this shit down children's brains until they become as stupid and nonthinking and servile as the adult devout are.
Old 10.31.2017, 02:25 PM   #29
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
clap, clap, clap!

and, don't forget, both are misogynist assholes
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2017, 02:41 PM   #30
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
yes, both Trump and the bible "god" punish women for being women.
Old 10.31.2017, 02:43 PM   #31
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
yes, both Trump and the bible "god" punish women for being women.
one would date his own daughter. the other impregnated his own daughter behind her husband’s back. the latter’s deed is the former’s wet dream.
Old 10.31.2017, 05:00 PM   #32
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Similarities between Biblical "god" and Donald Trump

Both claim infallibility, but are still exceedingly upset when someone does not believe in them.

Both are petulant, angry, selfish assholes. the Bible god has his "chosen few" go kill anyone who is not "chosen." Trumpo also does not give a fuck about brown people, only his precious rich whites, and sends rich whites to murder the brown people worldwide.

Both are infantile, immature fucks. The Biblical "god" banishes a whole branch of humanity because it offered the wrong sacrifice.(it likes DEATH and BLOOD, not plants.) It plays life and death gmes with whole countries, because of the whim of one of it's special chosen followers. Trump fires anyone who remotely disagrees with him, event though that is the best way to understand things. a CHILD. He also relishes revenge on those that somehow "fail him" just like the stupid made-up judeochristian god.

the biblical god is a dumb piece of shit that chooses to torture his most devout follower purely because of a bet with the Devil, who the fucking stupid blblical god created.

fuck I hate any and all religion, any and all deities, any and all assholes who try to shove this shit down children's brains until they become as stupid and nonthinking and servile as the adult devout are.

Im fascinated by it as a kind of social disease.

And there’s nothing wrong with hoping for good things.

By yeah, when it gets judgy and forced down people’s throats it’s terrible.
Old 10.31.2017, 06:06 PM   #33
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Some wretched motherfucker yelling "Allahu Akbar" (coulda been "Yahweh Shreds" or "Jesus Poontang" for all I care) just killed eight people in NYC. Religion is just fucking GLAMOROUS.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2017, 07:07 PM   #34
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Some wretched motherfucker yelling "Allahu Akbar" (coulda been "Yahweh Shreds" or "Jesus Poontang" for all I care) just killed eight people in NYC. Religion is just fucking GLAMOROUS.

That’s not religion, that’s some fool’s interpretation of religion, and a bunch of other idiots following.

Religion is fun as an academic and philosophical endeavor, but I think it goes without saying that if you cling to any of it or treat it as gospel (lol) then you’re a fucking nutbag.

Why can’t people just keep their spirituality internal? Like me with my Kryptonian Orthoox nonsense. Prayer is fine. Proselytizing need not be a part of ANY of it. “Missions” need not be a part of it. Why must it be ceremonial and invasive?

Cuz yeah, only shit comes from that. War, violence, death, dirty pilotics, genocide.

It’s ok to hope Superman is real, and even “pray” (note: Working on Kryptonian Orthodox equivalent of prayer — probably just yelling “save us, Superman!”), but thinkng Superman is the only true thing is fucked. Dressing up like Superman and punching people you think he’d want you to punch is fucked.

Speaking semi-metaphorically here, of course.
Old 10.31.2017, 07:19 PM   #35
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

i like the idea of religion. i like the whole religare root, rejoining, that which is broken— us, the universe. we’re split off from the universe. it causes interminable pain. we crave reunion. religion offers to patch that up.

problem is, i like the idea but not the practice. cults of personality, oaths, demands... worse, dogma. fuck all that noise. all religions are cults.

in a way i admire the protestants with the idea of an individual connection to “god.” problem (again) is/was: every fucking individual becomes their own little protestant cult. my way or the highway.

cults. fuckem.
Old 11.01.2017, 08:25 AM   #36
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

all religion stems from the LIE that humans are separate from creation, and need either guidance to get them back to this "god/divinity", OR, that because of that separation we are interminably corrupt and sinful and the only "salvation" is listening to other even more interminably corrupt and sinful people tell you how you should live.

I long for the day when ALL religion is treated with the same contempt and ridicule as the Greek Myth tales are (in terms of divine gospel). the stories that religions use to p[rop themselves up have great wisdom in them, but that wisdom is rarely, if ever, discussed in churches. Churches just want you to follow endless cycles of meaningless ritual, tying up your brain and heart and "soul" (if you believe in such mumbo-jumbo) in paradoxical knots it will never untangle, all the while saying "Wait for it....wait for it....All that hard prayin and sacrifice and tithing and sunday school and bible study will pay off AFTER YOU ARE DEAD!!!!" (when no one can verify anything your religion has claimed for your whole fucking life.)
Old 11.01.2017, 08:34 AM   #37
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
all religion stems from the LIE that humans are separate from creation, and need either guidance to get them back to this "god/divinity", OR, that because of that separation we are interminably corrupt and sinful and the only "salvation" is listening to other even more interminably corrupt and sinful people tell you how you should live.
this needs to be unpacked before your statement of wishes

yeah we’re not “separate”— except in our heads. our heads get in the way.

not all religions claim we’re interminably corrupt and sinful

feels like you’re equating all religions with the texan brand of christianity you’re familiar with

i think it’s more varied and interesting than that. at the same time i think the problem of figuring out how to live hasn’t been “solved”, as it were. whether it’s a problem or not it’s up to you— but it is for me. and the problem of suffering is central to my experience so a key to that question.

if you claim to have an answer for that— you’re a religion
Old 11.01.2017, 09:03 AM   #38
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
not all religions claim we’re interminably corrupt and sinful

I did not say that. There was an "OR" in that previous statement. the religions that do not claim we are corrupted or sinful fit the first part of my statement.

there is no problem of "how" to live that needs religion or a "god" to be answered. That is my point.
Old 11.01.2017, 09:06 AM   #39
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

"suffering" is a value judgement. Mother Teresa, that fucking false asshole, still believed in the 13th century Catholic orthodoxy that only suffering can cleanse the soul from its sins and that is why that fucking nun and her convent would not provide painkillers, even tylenol or aspirin, to the thousands of indigent sick she :cared for" in India. That bitch would collect hundreds of millions in donations and send it all to Rome and keep the "heathens" laying on mast in the floor of rat infested "hospitals."

IT IS ALL A LIE.
Old 11.01.2017, 09:13 AM   #40
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Life is EVERYTHING. It includes joy AND pain, food AND starvation. It does not need a deity to function, nor do humans need a deity to ensure the world doesn't fall apart.

someone who has been brainwashed into the belief that a god created the great and wonderful and perfect and all holy Earth for great, and wonderful and perfect humans created in that "god's" own image will see pain, suffering, hurt, and sorrow (all results of nervous and hormonal functions within our neurological system) as a "problem" that needs a supernatural solution to make sense.

pain is our nerves telling us we are suffering trauma of some sort. Fear is our brain telling us that something does not feel right, based on past experience and innate knowledge. Sorrow is our brain telling us that something or someone we loved is no longer there to love. These things are shared by all animals in some form or another, and frankly, are probaly shared by plants and trees, even though they have no nervous systems.

plants can tell when the sun is moving, when fellow plants are being attacked. they follow cycles we are unaware of, and share symbiotic relationships with fungi, animals, and other plants. They do not need a religion to tell them why they suffer.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth