Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page musicians with great style
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.04.2006, 10:32 AM   #101
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I like people that put some effort into their style. I see nothing wrong with it in the slightest.
The so-called "unstylish" indie bands and the grunge bands have just as much of a costume element going on; they just pretend they don't because they are supposedly "unpretentious."

I remember having this discussion many years ago with a friend and we came to this exact conclusion. It was a Minutemen vs Talking Heads discussion and we decided that both were equally reliant on their costumes. In fact probably more so with 'unstylish' bands who are more likely to be copied by their fans. Not much Talking Heads wore was adopted by their fans.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2006, 10:33 AM   #102
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I like people that put some effort into their style. I see nothing wrong with it in the slightest.
The so-called "unstylish" indie bands and the grunge bands have just as much of a costume element going on; they just pretend they don't because they are supposedly "unpretentious."

i know that, i didn't mean it like that. i know it takes as much effort to don a suit as to put on a flannel shirt. i don't like slickly dressed bands, it's like they put more effort into their look than their music. punk bands and indie rock or whatever put effort into their look but not as much and not so upfront.

to me, i fine looking band are wolf eyes and they wear black and death metal tshirts, they have their look (the beards, the shirts, the hair) but it's not like they are going out of their way to get a fancy dress (and by fancy i don't mean expensive).
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2006, 10:39 AM   #104
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Erase Errata

Old 10.04.2006, 10:40 AM   #105
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

The goth club conversation paradigm: "We dress this way because we don't want to conform". "But you realise you all look the same?" "Yes, because we're non-conformists".

I think I can see ENuerotic's point - there is a difference between and outfit that is considered and one which is 'natural'. One requires an interest in fashion, to some degree, one requires an opposition. The latter is still a sort of fashion, especially as people who dislike fashion always dress the same.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2006, 10:44 AM   #106
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I will also go to my grave saying that pale skin and corsets are infinitely hotter than corduroys and moustaches.

The ironic moustache seems to be fading now though, thank god.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2006, 10:46 AM   #107
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I like dark red cords. Sorry. They go with almost everything.
Old 10.04.2006, 10:47 AM   #108
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
only the "followers" try to look a certain way. nirvana, mudhoney, Melvins, dinosaur, etc, all used to wear on stage what they happene dto be wearing that day

there is a BIG difference betwene that and a band like the killers that primps their costume.

and urge overkill put on two of the greatest rock shows I have ever witnessed.
Old 10.04.2006, 10:47 AM   #109
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I will also go to my grave saying that pale skin and corsets are infinitely hotter than corduroys and moustaches.

The ironic moustache seems to be fading now though, thank god.

You would hate Liverpool and Newcastle. Except it's not ironic.
You would hate parts of East-London. Not just for the moustaches.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 10.04.2006, 10:48 AM   #110
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
I like dark red cords. Sorry. They go with almost everything.

This is true.

Quote:
Old 10.04.2006, 10:49 AM   #111
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Well, one of the bands I used to play in (Skye Klad) got all kinds of crap for being a "fashion band," even from friends. We were having a good time with it though, and all of the stuff we wore onstage was also stuff we would wear in our everyday lives.

Then again, I take a fair bit of ribbing for my "everyday fashion" as well, so take that for what it's worth...
Old 10.04.2006, 10:50 AM   #112
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
only the "followers" try to look a certain way. nirvana, mudhoney, Melvins, dinosaur, etc, all used to wear on stage what they happene dto be wearing that day

there is a BIG difference betwene that and a band like the killers that primps their costume.

and urge overkill put on two of the greatest rock shows I have ever witnessed.

You are dumbass. Nirvana, Mudhoney, GrungeBand3, etc all dressed the fucking same. They cared about looking like they don't care. It's the same thing. Everyone has some kind of fashion.

Fuckass.
Old 10.04.2006, 10:51 AM   #113
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

Quote:
Well, one of the bands I used to play in (Skye Klad) got all kinds of crap for being a "fashion band," even from friends. We were having a good time with it though, and all of the stuff we wore onstage was also stuff we would wear in our everyday lives.

Then again, I take a fair bit of ribbing for my "everyday fashion" as well, so take that for what it's worth...

Your fashion is wonderful, dear. Fuck everyone else.

On a side note, you should let me borrow those hot white pants of yours.
Old 10.04.2006, 10:52 AM   #114
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Reynols look really stylish in their own weird way.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2006, 10:53 AM   #115
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
On a side note, you should let me borrow those hot white pants of yours.

I would, but I probably outweigh you by at least 40 pounds if not far more, and the legs would be too short in any case.
Old 10.04.2006, 10:54 AM   #116
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:

People's opinions are bullshit though, really. We got stick for going on stage topless with leather trousers with paintings on our chests (I'll post the pictures if they still exist). Mainly because it was incongruous to the music. Apparently, if you're topless, you can't play improv. Bullshit. People's opinions are shit.

Except for mine, I'm not a people.

Quote:
Old 10.04.2006, 10:55 AM   #117
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Apparently, if you're topless, you can't play improv.

I think this rule never applies to drummers. They can get away with anything in this department.
Old 10.04.2006, 10:55 AM   #118
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

Quote:
I would, but I probably outweigh you by at least 40 pounds if not far more, and the legs would be too short in any case.

I have a 34 waist. I'm not as skinny as I appear.

That's sad. Those pants were fine, clone.
Old 10.04.2006, 10:56 AM   #119
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
haydensache, you are like 12 years old. you weren't THERE so shut up. they wore what they wore because it is COLD in northwest USA. they wore flannel becauise the cold wet air chills you and flannels are perfect for it. stop showing your deep deep deep ignorance. I mean DEEP ignorance. punk bands wore what they owned, an to this day wear what they own and regularly wear anyway. that is part of the appeal of punk, that the guys on stage are JUST LIKE US, regular people who get up and rock, not dudes that have to put on some glam show like Bowie or prog rock or metalheads. (this excludes what I call Fashion Punks that still try to look like they live in 1977 London)

not everyone has a fashion. that is a stupid statement. the butthole surfers had no fashion. minor threat had no fashion. sonic youth has never had a "fashion", which does NOT mean Kim does not dress sytlish. They wear what they wear, and others copy them to become a fashion, you dig?

minutemen had no FASHION. you ask Mike Watt why he wore flannels and he will tell you exactly why, they are rugged, comfortable, and have two pockets with flaps so he can carry hi shit without it spilling out (he has said this many times).

ignorance is a slippery slope my friend.
Old 10.04.2006, 10:58 AM   #120
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
I think this rule never applies to drummers. They can get away with anything in this department.

Apart from top hats, for obvious reasons.

Quote:

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth