Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Reassessing Murray Street
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.29.2009, 04:44 PM   #21
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
Yes it is.
and i can TOTALLY tell the diff between a producer and a sound engineer. And what i do also know is that what the producer can do depends on what kind of sound was recorded by the sound engineer in the first place. They were obviously going for something very "clear" and "pristine" sounding, be it from a sound engineer or producer point of view.
It's the cleanest sounding SY record and both the engineering and the production go hand in hand on that matter.

i don't know what you mean with the self recorder and imagination stuff though.

i like it when you cantradict me cuz i get an instant boner. hot stuff.

sonic Youth didn't work with a producer till 'Dirty'?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 04:45 PM   #22
sarramkrop

I think.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 04:46 PM   #23
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I think Murray Street was the beginning of the end for me, in many ways.

for me it opened another chapter of the long history of the band.
i my opinion its not better or worse then any other chapter, its just another one with good sides and bad sides.
I get what everyone is saying that murray street was some kind of turning point. for me it wasnt a bad one and none for the better, just another.
and this kind of "evolving" is something I love about them
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 04:48 PM   #24
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
sonic Youth didn't work with a producer till 'Dirty'?
hey?
huh . I'd have to investigate on the producer / sound engineer side of the Dirty was most def the first time when they called a well known "producer" .
it's a tedious notion though cuz a guy like Albini claims he is only a sound engineer although he obviously is BOTH a super engineer AND a producer who pours his ideology of sound into anything he has recorded over the years.
Old 01.29.2009, 04:48 PM   #25
sarramkrop

I think John Agnello is not a good producer, hence my scepticism. Just look at the sort of people he worked with. Hopefully the new album will prove me wrong, just not holding my breath.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 04:49 PM   #26
sarramkrop

Quote:
hey?
huh . I'd have to investigate on the producer / sound engineer side of the Dirty was most def the first time when they called a well known "producer" .
it's a tedious notion though cuz a guy like Albini claims he is only a sound engineer although he obviously is BOTH a super engineer AND a producer who pours his ideology of sound into anything he has recorded over the years.
I give up.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 04:49 PM   #27
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by al shabbray
for me it opened another chapter of the long history of the band.
same here
Old 01.29.2009, 04:52 PM   #28
greedrex
invito al cielo

Quote:
I give up.
oh no please don't stop.

i agree with you about Agnello. His background doesn't appeal to me at all.
i'm not that of a producer person anyway. I don't care as long as the sound is good to my ears.
But some of the producers out there have a vision that i really like. And my point about Albini is spot on, whether you like it or not.
Old 01.29.2009, 05:05 PM   #29
sarramkrop

Quote:
oh no please don't stop.

i agree with you about Agnello. His background doesn't appeal to me at all.
i'm not that of a producer person anyway. I don't care as long as the sound is good to my ears.
But some of the producers out there have a vision that i really like. And my point about Albini is spot on, whether you like it or not.

well, check out albini's background, then.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 05:11 PM   #30
al shabbray

Sonic youth is one of the bands who got the last word when it comes to the final sound of their recordings, but I am pretty sure that the guys who are hired as producers will try to left their footprints in the sound too. they are making suggestions while mixing and the youth members will give their yes or their no. if it werent the case they just would not need any producer.
I think its more like letting a person from "the outside" work within a closed group of artists and maybe enhance their ideas or maybe not.
and I agree, agnello is not one of them where I am really interested in his "ideas". but I hope for some good ones, of course.
orourke managed to clean up their sound without stealing its soul and letting the strong parts become even stronger, at least he did it for me, again a matter of taste of course
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 05:11 PM   #31
greedrex
invito al cielo

already done sir. I'm no expert in anything but i'm totally ALBINI-savvy.
and some friends of mine (CHEVREUIL) who recorded a couple of LPs with him will tell you the same (refering to sound engineer / producer fine line).

anyway, stop teasing and put yr clothes back on, back to topic, no?
Old 01.29.2009, 05:15 PM   #32
greedrex
invito al cielo

btw, just to clarify my point of view, placing a mike is already production for me.
Old 01.29.2009, 05:18 PM   #33
sarramkrop

Quote:
btw, just to clarify my point of view, placing a mike is already production for me.

It's not though.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 05:23 PM   #34
greedrex
invito al cielo

hahahaha it is!!!! Production is a matter of choice/ decisions which start very early in the process. You can always argue with this as very often "producers" are called in to rescue sinking boats though mixing or even REmixing. Sometimes they succeed but usually it's doomed to failure if the initial engineering choices were bad (ie if the overall sound of the takes is shit)
which is kind of funny really, because what i'm getting at is PRECISELY YOUR POINT: talking about production is meaningless because everyone has a different definition of what IT is.
Old 01.29.2009, 05:32 PM   #35
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
had never noticed, will listen to both and compare. Are they similar riffs???

There's whole sections jacked from "Choir Boy"... it's awesome!
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 05:43 PM   #36
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
They worked with plenty of producers before Dirty. I think "Dirty" and "Experimental" both sound way too slick. Daydream Nation also has shitty bass production. Most of their albums sound great though. The sound of this album is bright and clean but dark undertones. Also, reminds me of an updated "Marquee Moon", with all the clean guitars fighting for space and stuff. Great album.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 05:48 PM   #37
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Murray Street sits in the lower third of the sonic youth discog for me. It is too same-y throughout, same tempos, same tones, same dare-I-say-it, soft-rock tendencies.
It is a good album, and has some great songs, but it is a downer for me, and sonic youth albums are NEVER downers for me.

Basically, I am talking about thurston's songs. I hope he got that troubador bullshit out his system.
I do not listen to it often, and then I do it cuz it is one of the few my girlfriend can handle, cuz it's PUSSY SOFT
Old 01.29.2009, 05:50 PM   #38
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
"duih i hate aluibumz twher esy plays well and doean't make a lawt of rockin noize"

Old 01.29.2009, 05:51 PM   #39
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
yes, because saying that one likes sweet drinks is equal to saying that one enjoyes three cups of maple syrup.

yeah.

don;t woprry, it is cool to like their soft shit man. you will lose no "hardcore" rep.
Old 01.29.2009, 05:52 PM   #40
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Sometimes, I like to just hear good, technical playing.

I think the best mix of that AND noise is "A Thousand Leaves" though...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth