Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page my bloody valentine - loveless
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.08.2009, 07:16 PM   #21
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
aye ears mood in yr aye, yay feisty peerate!
Old 05.08.2009, 07:18 PM   #22
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
My Bloody Prostate

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2009, 07:19 PM   #23
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
That, sir, is not funny. That's sick.
Old 05.08.2009, 07:57 PM   #24
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Very likely.

But then it's like the top favorite on just about any kind of critic list.

Which is weird to me, as one who bought this day after it was released in 1991, when almost nobody gave it much notice--and never gave it much notice until many years later. It blows me away how much this album has gained in critical and popular appreciation over the years. It used to be a farily obscure little album.

I don't know what you are talking about. There was MASSIVE critical acclaim and hype around them in 1991; talking about how they were the standard bearers of a new aesthetic and how they were the missing link between the noise of Sonic Youth and the blissout beauty of the Cocteau Twins and blah blah blah.
They were THEE band to cover at the time. I saw writeups on them in magazines almost as often as I see threads about them here.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2009, 07:58 PM   #25
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
I really liked Isn't Anything, but I found Loveless to be overrated. It's just an okay album to me.
Loveless was voted the second best album of all time here.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2009, 09:01 PM   #26
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I don't know what you are talking about. There was MASSIVE critical acclaim and hype around them in 1991; talking about how they were the standard bearers of a new aesthetic and how they were the missing link between the noise of Sonic Youth and the blissout beauty of the Cocteau Twins and blah blah blah.
They were THEE band to cover at the time. I saw writeups on them in magazines almost as often as I see threads about them here.

There wasn't the widespread "acceptance" there is today. The album was certainly a critics darling and a big cult favorite. I agree, it was HUGE in "alternative" or underground circles, but hardly in the overground industry. But today this album is so popular it's almost mainstream.
Old 05.08.2009, 09:17 PM   #27
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
But today this album is so popular it's almost mainstream.

Because even Rolling Stone gave it ecstatic reviews at the time. Anyway, further proof the this record has'nt been all that innovative (whatever that means anymore), is the fact that it inspires this crap over and over again. And it's their worst record, anyway.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2009, 09:18 PM   #28
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Sandbag]
this record is awesome.. but I prefer 'isn't anything' myself..
Agreed. Not to take anything away from Loveless, but I find myself coming back to Isn't Anything and some of their EP's far more often.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2009, 09:30 PM   #29
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Loveless is fucking great. Isn't anything is better, though. imo.
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2009, 06:56 AM   #30
gmku
invito al cielo

I like Isn't Anything a lot too, though I discovered it only years after getting Loveless. It's a different kind of album. I love both equally for different reasons.
Old 05.09.2009, 06:58 AM   #31
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Because even Rolling Stone gave it ecstatic reviews at the time. Anyway, further proof the this record has'nt been all that innovative (whatever that means anymore), is the fact that it inspires this crap over and over again. And it's their worst record, anyway.

RS jumped on the "alternative" bandwagon in 91 and gave lots of stuff rave reviews. That doesn't mean the album was "popluar."
Old 05.09.2009, 07:36 AM   #32
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
This is the freshest topic of discussion this board has ever seen.
yeah for Christ's sake, "SEARCH ENGINE > My Bloody Valentine loveless > post> sod off>> thank you very much"
Old 05.09.2009, 07:38 AM   #33
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
actually i gave the search engine a try and there was no thread entitled My bloody Valentine Loveless, but i found 19 MBV related threads.
Old 05.09.2009, 09:36 AM   #34
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
oh sure, i may as well add my opinion here as i have done with the countless other loveless threads on here...

i bought loveless on the day of release back in 91, i have listened to the album possibly every month since then, it is an amazing album..it is almost near perfection...its beautiful... and after almost 20 years of waiting, i saw them live last year... i dont care if not everyone likes the album or think isnt anything is better (its an amazing album but not better) it is my favourite album of all time and that probable wont change, the greatest album ever to be recorded by an irish band (kevin and colm are irish, they are from dublin, mbv were formed in dublin, i am not going to have the arguement again!)......

oh yeah, sometimes.....possibly greatest song ever..........
Old 05.09.2009, 10:25 AM   #35
musefreek
bad moon rising

musefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's asses
paulybee, are they really as loud as people say?

man, i really love 'discovering' new seminal albums and expanding my knowledge of music.
musefreek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2009, 10:36 AM   #36
Kuwa_Slayne
bad moon rising

Kuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's asses
^I saw them a few weeks ago and they were loud as fuck--probably the loudest show I've seen next to a Stereolab show where they tried to blowout ear drums with a deranged high frequency assault. Everyone in the room had their hands clamped over their ears.

For MBV I wore a pair of the free earplugs that they handed out at the show and it was still loud. My buddy waited until the 20 minute noise freakout at the end and his ears were ringing for 3 days.
Old 05.09.2009, 10:38 AM   #37
Kuwa_Slayne
bad moon rising

Kuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's asses
I consider "Loveless" one of the classic albums in my collection, but I find myself listening to their eps a bit more.
Old 05.09.2009, 10:43 AM   #38
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
musefreek- yes they are..at first they were ok, nothing too laod but gradually throughout the gig they increased it bit by bit and the final you made me realise 30 minute closer was intensly loud..amazing..
Old 05.09.2009, 12:08 PM   #39
musefreek
bad moon rising

musefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's asses
i have just downloaded mbv's entire back catalogue.

*licks lips and rubs hands together*
musefreek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2009, 12:30 PM   #40
gmku
invito al cielo

Oh jesus, you don't even have this stuff for real? Get out there and buy the freaking LPs, man. Or at the very least, the CDs.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth